Re: Clicking on Help topic crashes NTB under Vista

  • lm_hamilton
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
      I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
      the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
      to other programs accessing the internet.

      CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
      compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
      access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
      from NoteTab.

      The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
      old style HLP files.

      Larry Hamilton

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to the many replies.
      > To be more specific on some of the responses:
      >
      > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
      > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
      > quits running instantly.
      >
      > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
      > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
      >
      > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
      > I can't say I understood much of it
      > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
      > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
      follow it.

      > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
      > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
      > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
      > might have an idea where to start looking.
      > ==========
      > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
      > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
      > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
      > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
      >
      > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
      > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
      > needed permissions?

    • cosmya
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
        Thanks again for the suggestions.
        I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my anti-virus
        Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
        use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
        neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at max.
        level.
        Any other ideas?
        -Collier

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

        > I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
        > the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
        > to other programs accessing the internet.
        >
        > CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
        > compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
        > access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
        > from NoteTab.
        >
        > The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
        > old style HLP files.
        >
        > Larry Hamilton
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks to the many replies.
        > > To be more specific on some of the responses:
        > >
        > > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
        > > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
        > > quits running instantly.
        > >
        > > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
        > > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
        > >
        > > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
        > > I can't say I understood much of it
        > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
        > > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
        > follow it.
        > >
        > > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
        > > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
        > > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
        > > might have an idea where to start looking.
        > > ==========
        > > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
        > > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
        > > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
        > > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
        > >
        > > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
        > > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
        > > needed permissions?

      • lm_hamilton
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
          Without an error message that gives more clues I am having no success
          in finding a solution that matches your problem on support.microsoft.com.

          I did find this article that may offer some insight, but no guarantee ;-)

          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us

          Larry Hamilton

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

          > Thanks again for the suggestions.
          > I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my anti-virus
          > Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
          > use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
          > neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at max.
          > level.
          > Any other ideas?
          > -Collier
          >
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
          > > the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
          > > to other programs accessing the internet.
          > >
          > > CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
          > > compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
          > > access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
          > > from NoteTab.
          > >
          > > The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
          > > old style HLP files.
          > >
          > > Larry Hamilton
          > >
          > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Thanks to the many replies.
          > > > To be more specific on some of the responses:
          > > >
          > > > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
          > > > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
          > > > quits running instantly.
          > > >
          > > > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory,
          will it
          > > > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
          > > >
          > > > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials,
          though
          > > > I can't say I understood much of it
          > > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
          > > > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
          > > follow it.
          > > >
          > > > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
          > > > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
          > > > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
          > > > might have an idea where to start looking.
          > > > ==========
          > > > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
          > > > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
          > > > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
          > > > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
          > > >
          > > > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
          > > > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
          > > > needed permissions?

        • cosmya
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
            The error messages are:
            1) I click on Help, Help Topics (or any of the top 4 lines in the Help
            menu list, or on About Notetab Std or Pro), and get: "MS Windows --
            NoteTab Light has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the
            program and notify you if a solution is available." I click Close
            Program (the only choice provided) and the program ends.

            2) I click on Help, Order ... and get:
            "Would you like to connect to the NoteTab Order form on the Web?..."
            If I pick "NO" the program crashes with the message in 1) above. If I
            pick "YES" I get: "C:\...\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -- Windows
            cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
            the appropriate permissions to access the item." Clicking "OK" closes
            the error box but does NOT crash/close NTb, which continues to run.

            3) I click on Help, Check for Updates and get: "Fookes software News
            and Updates -- ...Connecting to news server..." and then "Information
            -- News server not accessible! Previous news displayed. Try connecting
            again later". Clicking "OK" and closing the "Fookes..." pane gets me
            back to NTb, which continues to run.

            4) I click on Help, Show Tip... or Glossary or Outline Tutorial or
            Readme or What's New or About, and they all work fine. "Help, Open in
            MS Notepad" does not seem to have any action at all. No idea what that
            command is supposed to do.

            I looked at the article you cite:
            http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us, but it seems to pertain
            to pre-Vista versions only. In any case, I looked at the list of
            installed updates on my machine, and the two updates in question are
            not on my machine.

            Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
            certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
            now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
            is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
            issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
            (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
            have these problems)?

            Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
            see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
            trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
            time at over $5/hr.)

            I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....

          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

              > Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
              > certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
              > now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
              > is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
              > issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
              > (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
              > have these problems)?

              I suspect that the issue is here. There is a new anti-cracking feature
              Eric added. I do not know any details, but perhaps you have stumbled
              upon an issue. I do not have Vista, so I cannot test.

              > Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
              > see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
              > trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
              > time at over $5/hr.)

              There is a page on the NoteTab site that lists what the Trial Version
              features are.

              I recommend you go with Standard if you like all the features. A full
              version of NoteTab should not have any problems.

              I was so impressed with NoteTab ten years ago, that NoteTab Standard
              was the first thing I ever bought online. It has only gotten better
              with age.

              > I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....
              > -Collier

              Glad to help. I just wish I had a better answer. Vista does lots of
              new things with security, not all of them make sense. I was helping a
              friend with Vista and found the click three or four times to do one
              action frustrating because it kept asking if I was sure. I did not
              have time to look up a way to simplify this, but it should not be that
              hard to do a simple task. I'll be supporting clients on Vista later
              this year, when the apps I support at work get Vista compatibility. We
              cannot ignore Vista like we did ME. I only worked on one friend's ME
              PC and it was a nightmare! No standard programs to do simple tasks.
              Another friend upgraded the PC to Win2K and all the problems ceased.

              Larry Hamilton
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                I don't know if this was among the things you tried, but you can right
                click the chm help file in Explorer and see if there is an option to
                Unblock it.

                Regards,
                Sheri
              • Jim
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                  Hi, I run 2 PCs. They both run Windows Vista Business with Service
                  Pack 1 applied.

                  Installed is:

                  - firefox 3.0.1
                  - Notetab Light 5.7b eval version
                  - Notetab Pro 5.7b paid version

                  Launching Notetab light 5.7b and selecting the first 4 options under
                  help launch the help files with no errors. Help/Order launches Firefox
                  and loads the web page.

                  Here's what I would do if I were in your situation:

                  - install Vista Service Pack 1 if not already installed.
                  - Uninstall Notetab light
                  - Install & run CCleaner; run the registry cleaner component
                  - Reinstall Notetab light

                  If you still get the error: the dialog box has a 'more information'
                  arrow. Click on it to see what module is crashing; this information
                  may be useful to the Notetab developer(s).

                  Happy Notetabbing :)

                  Jim

                • cosmya
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                    This may be the last posting I will need to make on this topic.

                    I uninstalled the NTb Light Trial version that was giving all the
                    problems under Vista, and downloaded and installed the NTb Std Trial
                    version.

                    All of the problems went away, and Help runs perfectly now.

                    So, it would appear that there is some [bug/issue/problem/whatever]
                    with the NTbLTrial version under Vista, that does not exist in the Std
                    version.

                    Again, thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

                    -Collier