Re: Clicking on Help topic crashes NTB under Vista

  • Collier Smith
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
      Thanks to the many replies.
      To be more specific on some of the responses:

      - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
      them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
      quits running instantly.

      - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
      cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?

      - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
      I can't say I understood much of it
      (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
      much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to follow it.

      - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
      this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
      Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
      might have an idea where to start looking.
      ==========
      I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
      from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
      not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
      having proper permissions to access the file or path).

      I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
      administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
      needed permissions?
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
        Collier Smith wrote:

        > ==========
        > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
        > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
        > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
        > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
        >
        > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
        > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
        > needed permissions?

        The first that comes to mind is that firewalls and other security stuff
        routinely block programs that launch your browser(s) -- especially when
        they seek to connect to the internet --, or are browsers in some way or
        other themselves.

        Often the firewall & friends will pop up an alert + dialog window, but
        that is not always the case, and you will have to adjust your settings
        yourself.

        I would advise you BTW to post a second question under a new Subject
        heading in future, because 1. it is easier for everybody, 2. your second
        question is then not as easily overlooked; 3. the subject discussed is
        easier to find/search for later.

        Cheers,
        Gerard

        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
          I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
          the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
          to other programs accessing the internet.

          CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
          compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
          access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
          from NoteTab.

          The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
          old style HLP files.

          Larry Hamilton

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@...> wrote:

          > Thanks to the many replies.
          > To be more specific on some of the responses:
          >
          > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
          > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
          > quits running instantly.
          >
          > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
          > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
          >
          > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
          > I can't say I understood much of it
          > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
          > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
          follow it.

          > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
          > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
          > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
          > might have an idea where to start looking.
          > ==========
          > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
          > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
          > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
          > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
          >
          > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
          > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
          > needed permissions?

        • cosmya
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
            Thanks again for the suggestions.
            I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my anti-virus
            Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
            use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
            neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at max.
            level.
            Any other ideas?
            -Collier

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

            > I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
            > the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
            > to other programs accessing the internet.
            >
            > CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
            > compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
            > access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
            > from NoteTab.
            >
            > The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
            > old style HLP files.
            >
            > Larry Hamilton
            >
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks to the many replies.
            > > To be more specific on some of the responses:
            > >
            > > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
            > > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
            > > quits running instantly.
            > >
            > > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
            > > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
            > >
            > > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
            > > I can't say I understood much of it
            > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
            > > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
            > follow it.
            > >
            > > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
            > > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
            > > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
            > > might have an idea where to start looking.
            > > ==========
            > > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
            > > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
            > > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
            > > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
            > >
            > > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
            > > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
            > > needed permissions?

          • lm_hamilton
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
              Without an error message that gives more clues I am having no success
              in finding a solution that matches your problem on support.microsoft.com.

              I did find this article that may offer some insight, but no guarantee ;-)

              http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us

              Larry Hamilton

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

              > Thanks again for the suggestions.
              > I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my anti-virus
              > Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
              > use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
              > neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at max.
              > level.
              > Any other ideas?
              > -Collier
              >
              > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
              > > the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
              > > to other programs accessing the internet.
              > >
              > > CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
              > > compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
              > > access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
              > > from NoteTab.
              > >
              > > The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
              > > old style HLP files.
              > >
              > > Larry Hamilton
              > >
              > > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Thanks to the many replies.
              > > > To be more specific on some of the responses:
              > > >
              > > > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
              > > > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
              > > > quits running instantly.
              > > >
              > > > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory,
              will it
              > > > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
              > > >
              > > > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials,
              though
              > > > I can't say I understood much of it
              > > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
              > > > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
              > > follow it.
              > > >
              > > > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
              > > > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
              > > > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
              > > > might have an idea where to start looking.
              > > > ==========
              > > > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
              > > > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
              > > > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
              > > > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
              > > >
              > > > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
              > > > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
              > > > needed permissions?

            • cosmya
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                The error messages are:
                1) I click on Help, Help Topics (or any of the top 4 lines in the Help
                menu list, or on About Notetab Std or Pro), and get: "MS Windows --
                NoteTab Light has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the
                program and notify you if a solution is available." I click Close
                Program (the only choice provided) and the program ends.

                2) I click on Help, Order ... and get:
                "Would you like to connect to the NoteTab Order form on the Web?..."
                If I pick "NO" the program crashes with the message in 1) above. If I
                pick "YES" I get: "C:\...\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -- Windows
                cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
                the appropriate permissions to access the item." Clicking "OK" closes
                the error box but does NOT crash/close NTb, which continues to run.

                3) I click on Help, Check for Updates and get: "Fookes software News
                and Updates -- ...Connecting to news server..." and then "Information
                -- News server not accessible! Previous news displayed. Try connecting
                again later". Clicking "OK" and closing the "Fookes..." pane gets me
                back to NTb, which continues to run.

                4) I click on Help, Show Tip... or Glossary or Outline Tutorial or
                Readme or What's New or About, and they all work fine. "Help, Open in
                MS Notepad" does not seem to have any action at all. No idea what that
                command is supposed to do.

                I looked at the article you cite:
                http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us, but it seems to pertain
                to pre-Vista versions only. In any case, I looked at the list of
                installed updates on my machine, and the two updates in question are
                not on my machine.

                Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
                certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
                now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
                is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
                issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
                (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
                have these problems)?

                Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
                see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
                trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
                time at over $5/hr.)

                I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....

              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

                  > Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
                  > certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
                  > now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
                  > is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
                  > issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
                  > (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
                  > have these problems)?

                  I suspect that the issue is here. There is a new anti-cracking feature
                  Eric added. I do not know any details, but perhaps you have stumbled
                  upon an issue. I do not have Vista, so I cannot test.

                  > Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
                  > see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
                  > trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
                  > time at over $5/hr.)

                  There is a page on the NoteTab site that lists what the Trial Version
                  features are.

                  I recommend you go with Standard if you like all the features. A full
                  version of NoteTab should not have any problems.

                  I was so impressed with NoteTab ten years ago, that NoteTab Standard
                  was the first thing I ever bought online. It has only gotten better
                  with age.

                  > I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....
                  > -Collier

                  Glad to help. I just wish I had a better answer. Vista does lots of
                  new things with security, not all of them make sense. I was helping a
                  friend with Vista and found the click three or four times to do one
                  action frustrating because it kept asking if I was sure. I did not
                  have time to look up a way to simplify this, but it should not be that
                  hard to do a simple task. I'll be supporting clients on Vista later
                  this year, when the apps I support at work get Vista compatibility. We
                  cannot ignore Vista like we did ME. I only worked on one friend's ME
                  PC and it was a nightmare! No standard programs to do simple tasks.
                  Another friend upgraded the PC to Win2K and all the problems ceased.

                  Larry Hamilton
                • Sheri
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                    I don't know if this was among the things you tried, but you can right
                    click the chm help file in Explorer and see if there is an option to
                    Unblock it.

                    Regards,
                    Sheri
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                      Hi, I run 2 PCs. They both run Windows Vista Business with Service
                      Pack 1 applied.

                      Installed is:

                      - firefox 3.0.1
                      - Notetab Light 5.7b eval version
                      - Notetab Pro 5.7b paid version

                      Launching Notetab light 5.7b and selecting the first 4 options under
                      help launch the help files with no errors. Help/Order launches Firefox
                      and loads the web page.

                      Here's what I would do if I were in your situation:

                      - install Vista Service Pack 1 if not already installed.
                      - Uninstall Notetab light
                      - Install & run CCleaner; run the registry cleaner component
                      - Reinstall Notetab light

                      If you still get the error: the dialog box has a 'more information'
                      arrow. Click on it to see what module is crashing; this information
                      may be useful to the Notetab developer(s).

                      Happy Notetabbing :)

                      Jim

                    • cosmya
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                        This may be the last posting I will need to make on this topic.

                        I uninstalled the NTb Light Trial version that was giving all the
                        problems under Vista, and downloaded and installed the NTb Std Trial
                        version.

                        All of the problems went away, and Help runs perfectly now.

                        So, it would appear that there is some [bug/issue/problem/whatever]
                        with the NTbLTrial version under Vista, that does not exist in the Std
                        version.

                        Again, thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

                        -Collier