Re: Clicking on Help topic crashes NTB under Vista

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

      > I am running Vista Home Premium on a new computer. Installed NTB
      > Light 5.7.
      >
      > When I click on Help, and then on any of the top 4 topics, NTB
      > crashes and Windows says "NoteTab Light has stopped working. A
      > problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows
      > will close the program and notify you if a solution is
      > available."

      You mean when clicking Menu items (under Help menu), not when clicking
      Help topics, right?

      Are you able to view the chm help file by double clicking it Explorer?
      When you click for Help in other programs?

      Maybe there is something wrong in your Vista installation.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 4, 2008
        Yes, I know Vista is NoteTab compatible.

        I do not have Vista, thus cannot test.

        Larry Hamilton

        > Hi Larry,
        >
        > > The problem must be something with NoteTab's interaction with Vista.
        >
        > NoteTab is fully Windows Vista compatible. Every update is tested under
        > Vista Ultimate to make sure there are no issues. I believe the
        source of
        > the problem the OP reported is external to NoteTab.
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > Eric Fookes
        > http://www.fookes.com/

      • Collier Smith
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
          Thanks to the many replies.
          To be more specific on some of the responses:

          - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
          them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
          quits running instantly.

          - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
          cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?

          - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
          I can't say I understood much of it
          (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
          much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to follow it.

          - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
          this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
          Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
          might have an idea where to start looking.
          ==========
          I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
          from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
          not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
          having proper permissions to access the file or path).

          I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
          administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
          needed permissions?
        • Gerard Huijing
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
            Collier Smith wrote:

            > ==========
            > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
            > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
            > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
            > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
            >
            > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
            > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
            > needed permissions?

            The first that comes to mind is that firewalls and other security stuff
            routinely block programs that launch your browser(s) -- especially when
            they seek to connect to the internet --, or are browsers in some way or
            other themselves.

            Often the firewall & friends will pop up an alert + dialog window, but
            that is not always the case, and you will have to adjust your settings
            yourself.

            I would advise you BTW to post a second question under a new Subject
            heading in future, because 1. it is easier for everybody, 2. your second
            question is then not as easily overlooked; 3. the subject discussed is
            easier to find/search for later.

            Cheers,
            Gerard

            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            2312 ZD Leiden
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 5, 2008
              I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
              the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
              to other programs accessing the internet.

              CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
              compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
              access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
              from NoteTab.

              The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
              old style HLP files.

              Larry Hamilton

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@...> wrote:

              > Thanks to the many replies.
              > To be more specific on some of the responses:
              >
              > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
              > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
              > quits running instantly.
              >
              > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
              > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
              >
              > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
              > I can't say I understood much of it
              > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
              > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
              follow it.

              > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
              > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
              > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
              > might have an idea where to start looking.
              > ==========
              > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
              > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
              > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
              > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
              >
              > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
              > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
              > needed permissions?

            • cosmya
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 12, 2008
                Thanks again for the suggestions.
                I turned off both my firewall (Comodo v.3.0.25.378) and my anti-virus
                Avira Personal (continuously updated, version unknown), and tried to
                use NTb to access the internet, and to view the Help files, but
                neither works. Gave the same results as when the security was at max.
                level.
                Any other ideas?
                -Collier

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

                > I think this email contains the key. Since you also cannot connect to
                > the internet from NoteTab, it has to be some security setting related
                > to other programs accessing the internet.
                >
                > CHM files activate some piece of the web browser, since they are
                > compiled HTML files. This issue is probably related to your intenet
                > access issue, solve it, and you should be able to access the CHM files
                > from NoteTab.
                >
                > The WinHlp32.exe will not hurt anything, it just lets Vista view the
                > old style HLP files.
                >
                > Larry Hamilton
                >
                > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Collier Smith <collier.smith@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks to the many replies.
                > > To be more specific on some of the responses:
                > >
                > > - Yes, I can click on the .chm Help files in Explorer and open/read
                > > them just fine. But NTab won't open them properly. It crashes and
                > > quits running instantly.
                > >
                > > - If I leave the WinHlp32.exe file in the Windows directory, will it
                > > cause any trouble? Or should I remove it since it is doing no good?
                > >
                > > - As suggested by Mr. Fordin, I did look at the MS materials, though
                > > I can't say I understood much of it
                > > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607 is esp. obtuse). It wasn't
                > > much help, as far as I could tell. I suppose I'm too ignorant to
                > follow it.
                > >
                > > - If I am the only Vista Home Premium user that has ever run into
                > > this issue with NoteTab, then obviously there is something in my
                > > Vista/user setup that is the cause. I was hoping somebody out there
                > > might have an idea where to start looking.
                > > ==========
                > > I also have a second issue of not being able to access the Internet
                > > from NTB (i.e., checking for updates gives the message "News server
                > > not accessible." and Help, Order NTb gets an error msg about not
                > > having proper permissions to access the file or path).
                > >
                > > I installed the program as an administrator, I run it as
                > > administrator, what else can be done to make sure I have all the
                > > needed permissions?

              • lm_hamilton
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Without an error message that gives more clues I am having no success
                  in finding a solution that matches your problem on support.microsoft.com.

                  I did find this article that may offer some insight, but no guarantee ;-)

                  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us

                  Larry Hamilton

                • cosmya
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                    The error messages are:
                    1) I click on Help, Help Topics (or any of the top 4 lines in the Help
                    menu list, or on About Notetab Std or Pro), and get: "MS Windows --
                    NoteTab Light has stopped working correctly. Windows will close the
                    program and notify you if a solution is available." I click Close
                    Program (the only choice provided) and the program ends.

                    2) I click on Help, Order ... and get:
                    "Would you like to connect to the NoteTab Order form on the Web?..."
                    If I pick "NO" the program crashes with the message in 1) above. If I
                    pick "YES" I get: "C:\...\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe -- Windows
                    cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have
                    the appropriate permissions to access the item." Clicking "OK" closes
                    the error box but does NOT crash/close NTb, which continues to run.

                    3) I click on Help, Check for Updates and get: "Fookes software News
                    and Updates -- ...Connecting to news server..." and then "Information
                    -- News server not accessible! Previous news displayed. Try connecting
                    again later". Clicking "OK" and closing the "Fookes..." pane gets me
                    back to NTb, which continues to run.

                    4) I click on Help, Show Tip... or Glossary or Outline Tutorial or
                    Readme or What's New or About, and they all work fine. "Help, Open in
                    MS Notepad" does not seem to have any action at all. No idea what that
                    command is supposed to do.

                    I looked at the article you cite:
                    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892675/en-us, but it seems to pertain
                    to pre-Vista versions only. In any case, I looked at the list of
                    installed updates on my machine, and the two updates in question are
                    not on my machine.

                    Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
                    certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
                    now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
                    is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
                    issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
                    (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
                    have these problems)?

                    Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
                    see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
                    trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
                    time at over $5/hr.)

                    I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....

                  • lm_hamilton
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 14, 2008
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "cosmya" <collier.smith@...> wrote:

                      > Here's a new thought: My version of NTb Light is brand new. It has
                      > certain "Trial Features" enabled for a 30-day period (7 days left
                      > now). There is no list of which features will go away in a week, but
                      > is there some chance that the trial version I am now using might be at
                      > issue here? And maybe if I just wait another week, it will fix itself
                      > (or I will be able to download a non-trial Light version that won't
                      > have these problems)?

                      I suspect that the issue is here. There is a new anti-cracking feature
                      Eric added. I do not know any details, but perhaps you have stumbled
                      upon an issue. I do not have Vista, so I cannot test.

                      > Or maybe I should just go ahead and download the Standard version and
                      > see if it works OK? (I have already spent far more in wasted time
                      > trying to fix this version than the Std version costs, if I value my
                      > time at over $5/hr.)

                      There is a page on the NoteTab site that lists what the Trial Version
                      features are.

                      I recommend you go with Standard if you like all the features. A full
                      version of NoteTab should not have any problems.

                      I was so impressed with NoteTab ten years ago, that NoteTab Standard
                      was the first thing I ever bought online. It has only gotten better
                      with age.

                      > I continue to be grateful for your time and ideas....
                      > -Collier

                      Glad to help. I just wish I had a better answer. Vista does lots of
                      new things with security, not all of them make sense. I was helping a
                      friend with Vista and found the click three or four times to do one
                      action frustrating because it kept asking if I was sure. I did not
                      have time to look up a way to simplify this, but it should not be that
                      hard to do a simple task. I'll be supporting clients on Vista later
                      this year, when the apps I support at work get Vista compatibility. We
                      cannot ignore Vista like we did ME. I only worked on one friend's ME
                      PC and it was a nightmare! No standard programs to do simple tasks.
                      Another friend upgraded the PC to Win2K and all the problems ceased.

                      Larry Hamilton
                    • Sheri
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                        I don't know if this was among the things you tried, but you can right
                        click the chm help file in Explorer and see if there is an option to
                        Unblock it.

                        Regards,
                        Sheri
                      • Jim
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                          Hi, I run 2 PCs. They both run Windows Vista Business with Service
                          Pack 1 applied.

                          Installed is:

                          - firefox 3.0.1
                          - Notetab Light 5.7b eval version
                          - Notetab Pro 5.7b paid version

                          Launching Notetab light 5.7b and selecting the first 4 options under
                          help launch the help files with no errors. Help/Order launches Firefox
                          and loads the web page.

                          Here's what I would do if I were in your situation:

                          - install Vista Service Pack 1 if not already installed.
                          - Uninstall Notetab light
                          - Install & run CCleaner; run the registry cleaner component
                          - Reinstall Notetab light

                          If you still get the error: the dialog box has a 'more information'
                          arrow. Click on it to see what module is crashing; this information
                          may be useful to the Notetab developer(s).

                          Happy Notetabbing :)

                          Jim

                        • cosmya
                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 15, 2008
                            This may be the last posting I will need to make on this topic.

                            I uninstalled the NTb Light Trial version that was giving all the
                            problems under Vista, and downloaded and installed the NTb Std Trial
                            version.

                            All of the problems went away, and Help runs perfectly now.

                            So, it would appear that there is some [bug/issue/problem/whatever]
                            with the NTbLTrial version under Vista, that does not exist in the Std
                            version.

                            Again, thanks to all who offered help and suggestions.

                            -Collier