multiple copies of notetab light

  • plan48ad
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25 9:45 AM
      I would like to have 2 (minimum) copies of Notetab Light open, to more
      easily work on and keep 2 collections of tabs separate. I have been
      able to do this by downloading Notetab to my USB key. Is there a way
      to do this without the separate USB key?
      Thanks for any insights!
      -Joyce
    • Alex Plantema
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25 10:35 AM
        Op vrijdag 25 juli 2008 18:45 schreef plan48ad:

        > I would like to have 2 (minimum) copies of Notetab Light open, to more
        > easily work on and keep 2 collections of tabs separate. I have been
        > able to do this by downloading Notetab to my USB key. Is there a way
        > to do this without the separate USB key?

        Click View, Options. On the General tab, check Allow Multiple Instances.

        Alex.
      • Brother Gabriel-Marie
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26 3:30 PM
          Howdy!
          I don't know about running mulitples of NoteTab Light on a USB key, but here is an interesting thing that I did do that works like a dandy.
          I have NoteTab Pro and NoteTab Light running at the same time using the same set of libraries, same favourites, same locations! When I add a favourite in NoteTab Pro, the favourite will be there for me in NoteTab Light, and vica versa.

          Here is what I did, I don't see why it wouldn't work for two NoteTab Lights.

          I installed NoteTab Pro normally, and I use the application folder for the settings. To do this, you have to change the NotePro.ini file - there is a setting called, UserProfile, which you set to 0. If you set it to 1 then it will store settings in the Applications folder of documents & settings in the User profile folder. If you change this setting to 0, then copy out any of your other settings to your applications folder.

          Next I installed NoteTab Light. I copied out NotePro.exe and its ini file and set them aside somewhere else, then I uninstalled that installation of NoteTab. Now I rename NotePro.exe to NoteTabLight.exe, and also rename the ini file to NoteTabLight.ini. Then I make sure the NoteTabLight.ini has the setting for UserProfile set to 0. Finally, I put both those newly named files in the same folder alongside my NoteTab Pro. Voila!

          For two NoteTab Lights, I bet it will work just fine along the same lines. The only thing is that if you rename the exe, you need to name the ini file with the same name, I think. I don't think there would be any problems. That way you could run two copies from the USB key with different preferences and fonts, but sharing all the same files ans settings.

          - Brother Gabriel-Marie

        • lm_hamilton
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 27 7:53 AM
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "plan48ad" <plan48ad@...> wrote:

            > I would like to have 2 (minimum) copies of Notetab Light open, to more
            > easily work on and keep 2 collections of tabs separate. I have been
            > able to do this by downloading Notetab to my USB key. Is there a way
            > to do this without the separate USB key?
            > Thanks for any insights!
            > -Joyce

            My solution for this is to have multiple shortcuts, each with their
            own INI file. This avoids the need for the multiple instances option.

            This method also works on USB.

            By default, NoteTab looks for Notetab.ini, so it is not defined in a
            default shortcut.

            If you copy you current NoteTab shortcut, and then rename the
            shortcut. then right-click the shortcut and go to properties. You will
            see the command line add a space and /ini=newini. You can learn more
            about the NoteTab command line in the Help file. You can cause a
            certain clip library to be active, a specific clipbar, and even run a
            clip at startup.

            When you launch this shortcut, it will create a new ini file called
            newini.ini. Just change the name of the ini to match the name of the
            shortcut. The ini will store the names of the files you are using, so
            whenever you launch the shortcut, it will reopen with the files in the
            order you had them, with the document with the focus still in the
            active tab.

            I name the shortcuts and the inis to the purpose they are for.

            This can get complicated, if you have a lot of shortcuts. Be sure to
            backup all these settings, as it takes a while to re-create this.

            I only use this option when I have a specific set of settings I need
            for a given task.

            Some of the shortcuts I have created over the years are not that
            specialized, they just remember the files I was working on. Using
            favorites is helpful for this, favorites can reopen all the files.
            This also minimizes the need for lots of shortcuts and inis to maintain.

            I built a clip to easily create the command lines that I need. If
            interested, post over on the clips list. I do need to update it for
            changes in 5.7.

            Larry Hamilton
          • plan48ad
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "plan48ad" <plan48ad@...> wrote:
              Thanks for all the ideas! I'll take some time and try them out.
              -Joyce