Re: v5.7 outline file hyperlink problem

  • lm_hamilton
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "David Talbott" <tmp5@...> wrote:

      > Hello Group,
      >
      > Long-time user, long-time lurker.
      >
      > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
      > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
      > The "double colon" method still works.
      > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
      > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
      > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
      > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."

      I tested this on Pro and it depends where the cursor is when the
      hyperlink is activated.

      For example, it only does it in relation to the space next to the
      closing bracket. If the cursor is to the left of the space, the
      hyperlink works, if the cursor is to the right of the space, it
      highlights the whole line and says it can't find the link target.

      I don't have spaces in my hyperlinks, so I do not recall the prior
      behavior.

      Larry Hamilton
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
        I never used the feature either but there is a Hyperlink topic in
        Readme.otl that says this:

        > * If you want to apply the search criteria type of hyperlink on
        > the active document, just omit the file name. For example,
        > [::NoteTab] will find the next occurrence of the name NoteTab.
        > Since the double colon does not necessarily look very nice in
        > this case, the following format with a blank space on each side
        > of the search criteria is also valid: [ NoteTab ].

        In 5.7 it isn't working that way.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • David Talbott
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 27, 2008
          Thanks for the reply, Larry. My Pro version throws the error no
          matter where the cursor is placed. I've been through the options and
          read/re-read the info on the new v5.7 version. The new Readme.otl has
          info concerning hyperlinking but all is the same as previous versions,
          ie.. it should work. I'll move this to the ntp-Next-Release group.
          - David

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "David Talbott" <tmp5@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Group,
          > >
          > > Long-time user, long-time lurker.
          > >
          > > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
          > > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
          > > The "double colon" method still works.
          > > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
          > > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
          > > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
          > > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."
          >
          > I tested this on Pro and it depends where the cursor is when the
          > hyperlink is activated.
          >
          > For example, it only does it in relation to the space next to the
          > closing bracket. If the cursor is to the left of the space, the
          > hyperlink works, if the cursor is to the right of the space, it
          > highlights the whole line and says it can't find the link target.
          >
          > I don't have spaces in my hyperlinks, so I do not recall the prior
          > behavior.
          >
          > Larry Hamilton

        • David Talbott
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2008
            Hi Sheri,
            This is a feature that I've used since NTPro was introduced to my
            life, going on 9 or 10 years now. I'll date myself by saying that I
            remember when Eric had the time to answer all of his support email in
            person, pre Jody (GRHS), pre Yahoo Groups. I find it interesting that
            I am one of few who chooses this method of intra-document
            hyperlinking. I can pack loads into one otl and keep everything tidy
            with the linking.
            I'll move this thread to the ntb-NextRelease group. Maybe my answer
            is there. I'd hate to lose this option, as I'm crusty and set in my ways.
            - David

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

            > I never used the feature either but there is a Hyperlink topic in
            > Readme.otl that says this:
            >
            > > * If you want to apply the search criteria type of hyperlink on
            > > the active document, just omit the file name. For example,
            > > [::NoteTab] will find the next occurrence of the name NoteTab.
            > > Since the double colon does not necessarily look very nice in
            > > this case, the following format with a blank space on each side
            > > of the search criteria is also valid: [ NoteTab ].
            >
            > In 5.7 it isn't working that way.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Sheri

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 31, 2008
              Hi David,

              > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
              > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
              > The "double colon" method still works.
              > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
              > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
              > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
              > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."

              This issue has now been fixed in the newly released NoteTab 5.7b.

              You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
              Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
              see the version 5.7b info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
              click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog box to
              refresh the list.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • David Talbott
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                Hi Eric,

                > > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
                > > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
                >
                > This issue has now been fixed in the newly released NoteTab 5.7b.
                >
                > You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
                > Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
                > see the version 5.7b info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
                > click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog
                box to
                > refresh the list.
                >
                > --
                > Regards,
                >
                > Eric Fookes
                > http://www.fookes.com/

                Thanks for the upgrade, Eric. All is working fine.

                - David Talbott