v5.7 outline file hyperlink problem

  • David Talbott
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 20, 2008
      Hello Group,

      Long-time user, long-time lurker.

      I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
      hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
      The "double colon" method still works.
      [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
      [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
      The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
      "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."

      Running WinXP. When NoteTab was upgraded from v5.61 to v5.7 it was a
      simple "upgrade over" and no changes to the ini were made. Cannot
      find anything noted in the new Readme.otl or the online whatsnew at
      http://www.notetab.com/whatsnew.php

      Any help?

      Thanks,

      David T
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "David Talbott" <tmp5@...> wrote:

        > Hello Group,
        >
        > Long-time user, long-time lurker.
        >
        > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
        > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
        > The "double colon" method still works.
        > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
        > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
        > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
        > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."

        I tested this on Pro and it depends where the cursor is when the
        hyperlink is activated.

        For example, it only does it in relation to the space next to the
        closing bracket. If the cursor is to the left of the space, the
        hyperlink works, if the cursor is to the right of the space, it
        highlights the whole line and says it can't find the link target.

        I don't have spaces in my hyperlinks, so I do not recall the prior
        behavior.

        Larry Hamilton
      • Sheri
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 22, 2008
          I never used the feature either but there is a Hyperlink topic in
          Readme.otl that says this:

          > * If you want to apply the search criteria type of hyperlink on
          > the active document, just omit the file name. For example,
          > [::NoteTab] will find the next occurrence of the name NoteTab.
          > Since the double colon does not necessarily look very nice in
          > this case, the following format with a blank space on each side
          > of the search criteria is also valid: [ NoteTab ].

          In 5.7 it isn't working that way.

          Regards,
          Sheri
        • David Talbott
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 27, 2008
            Thanks for the reply, Larry. My Pro version throws the error no
            matter where the cursor is placed. I've been through the options and
            read/re-read the info on the new v5.7 version. The new Readme.otl has
            info concerning hyperlinking but all is the same as previous versions,
            ie.. it should work. I'll move this to the ntp-Next-Release group.
            - David

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "lm_hamilton" <lmh@...> wrote:

            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "David Talbott" <tmp5@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Group,
            > >
            > > Long-time user, long-time lurker.
            > >
            > > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
            > > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
            > > The "double colon" method still works.
            > > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
            > > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
            > > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
            > > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."
            >
            > I tested this on Pro and it depends where the cursor is when the
            > hyperlink is activated.
            >
            > For example, it only does it in relation to the space next to the
            > closing bracket. If the cursor is to the left of the space, the
            > hyperlink works, if the cursor is to the right of the space, it
            > highlights the whole line and says it can't find the link target.
            >
            > I don't have spaces in my hyperlinks, so I do not recall the prior
            > behavior.
            >
            > Larry Hamilton

          • David Talbott
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 27, 2008
              Hi Sheri,
              This is a feature that I've used since NTPro was introduced to my
              life, going on 9 or 10 years now. I'll date myself by saying that I
              remember when Eric had the time to answer all of his support email in
              person, pre Jody (GRHS), pre Yahoo Groups. I find it interesting that
              I am one of few who chooses this method of intra-document
              hyperlinking. I can pack loads into one otl and keep everything tidy
              with the linking.
              I'll move this thread to the ntb-NextRelease group. Maybe my answer
              is there. I'd hate to lose this option, as I'm crusty and set in my ways.
              - David

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <silvermoonwoman@...> wrote:

              > I never used the feature either but there is a Hyperlink topic in
              > Readme.otl that says this:
              >
              > > * If you want to apply the search criteria type of hyperlink on
              > > the active document, just omit the file name. For example,
              > > [::NoteTab] will find the next occurrence of the name NoteTab.
              > > Since the double colon does not necessarily look very nice in
              > > this case, the following format with a blank space on each side
              > > of the search criteria is also valid: [ NoteTab ].
              >
              > In 5.7 it isn't working that way.
              >
              > Regards,
              > Sheri

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 31, 2008
                Hi David,

                > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
                > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
                > The "double colon" method still works.
                > [ samepagelink ] -> generates error.
                > [::samepagelink] -> works OK.
                > The error generated is the same old, "No item matching Hyperlink
                > "C:\file-location...\file.txt" was found."

                This issue has now been fixed in the newly released NoteTab 5.7b.

                You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
                Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
                see the version 5.7b info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
                click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog box to
                refresh the list.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • David Talbott
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2, 2008
                  Hi Eric,

                  > > I've discovered a problem since the v5.7 upgrade. Outline file
                  > > hyperlinks using the "single space at end" method now fail to work.
                  >
                  > This issue has now been fixed in the newly released NoteTab 5.7b.
                  >
                  > You will find the upgrade information through NoteTab's "Check for
                  > Updates" feature, which is available from the Help menu. If you don't
                  > see the version 5.7b info in the News and Updates window, make sure you
                  > click on the "Get headlines" button at the top-left of the dialog
                  box to
                  > refresh the list.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Eric Fookes
                  > http://www.fookes.com/

                  Thanks for the upgrade, Eric. All is working fine.

                  - David Talbott