Having serious trouble with accessibility mode

  • Christopher Chaltain
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 17, 2008
      I just upgraded to NoteTab Pro 5.7, and I'm having some serious
      problems, that seem to stem from the accessibility mode. I'm running JFW
      9 on Windows XP Media Center. After installing the update I ran
      "notepro.exe /acc=install" as described in the What's New document. Now
      whenever I use the up or down arrow keys in a document, I hear the word
      "edit" followed by the entire paragraph. I don't hear blank lines. The
      cursor does seem to be moving around OK, since I get the current
      character read to me when I use the left and right arrow keys.

      Here are a few things I noticed:

      When NoteTab starts up, I have the string [Acc] in the title bar.
      According to the documentation, this means that NoteTab is in
      accessibility mode.

      When I went into NoteTab's settings, blind user mode wasn't checked,
      which should be checked when NoteTab is running in accessibility mode.

      I checked the directory ...\Application Data\Freedom
      Scientific\JAWS\9.0\Settings\Enu and I didn't see the file NotePro.jcf
      there. This is where I'd expect NoteTab to place the file from Program
      Files\NoteTab Pro 5\Accessibility\NotePro.jcf. When I use the JFW key
      sequence insert-q, I hear "default settings" when I would expect to hear
      something about NotePro.

      Here are a few things I've tried:

      I copied the file NotePro.jcf from NoteTab's accessibility folder into
      JFW's settings folder (see above) with no change in behavior.

      I ran the command NotePro.exe /acc=off and I still see the string [Acc]
      in the title bar for NoteTab, which I assume means it's still in
      accessibility mode. The behavior is still the same.

      I'm at my whits' end a bit here, and I'm looking for any suggestions!

      --
      Christopher

      cchaltain@...
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 17, 2008
        Hi Christopher,

        Normally, the NotePro.jcf Jaws file is installed in the following
        folder, if it exists:
        ...\All Users\Application Data\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\9.0\Settings\Enu

        Otherwise it goes to:
        ...\<user>\Application Data\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\9.0\Settings\Enu

        There is indeed an issue with the /acc=off switch, which fails to work.
        We'll fix this in the next update...

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • Christopher Chaltain
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 17, 2008
          OK, thanks! I went to the JAWS settings directory under All Users, and I
          did find the NotePro.jcf file. Once I removed it from that directory,
          NoteTab Pro is now working as it did before. As I arrow through a
          document, I'm having the current line read to me; I hear "blank" for
          blank lines. Note that NoteTab is still saying [Acc] in the title bar.

          I don't know enough about JFW to understand what's wrong with the
          NotePro.jcf file, but it does make NoteTab Pro unusable on my system.

          Eric Fookes wrote:

          > Hi Christopher,
          >
          > Normally, the NotePro.jcf Jaws file is installed in the following
          > folder, if it exists:
          > ...\All Users\Application Data\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\ 9.0\Settings\ Enu
          >
          > Otherwise it goes to:
          > ...\<user>\Applicat ion Data\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\ 9.0\Settings\ Enu
          >
          > There is indeed an issue with the /acc=off switch, which fails to work.
          > We'll fix this in the next update...
          >
          > --
          > Regards,
          >
          > Eric Fookes