Re: text being replaced unintentionally

  • Jerden Dembrec
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

      > hsavage wrote:
      >

      > > Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you
      have any
      > > other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so,
      does
      > > it work correctly?
      > >
      > > If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily
      swapping,
      > > the keyboard itself.
      >

      > I am thinking along those lines too.
      >
      > An unintentional use of Alt + Shift (instead of e.g. Ctrl + Shift) had
      > me typing gobbledygook in NoteTab (and I had to reboot Windows to stop
      > it), until I found out that Alt + Shift is a little-known Windows
      > keyboard shortcut that switches keyboards if you have more than one
      > installed.
      > I do have two, for the Antioch add-on for MS Word to enter Greek and
      > Hebrew. The second keyboard is required for the Hebrew part.
      >
      > I have no idea what is causing your problems, but keyboard shortcuts
      can
      > be quite insidious, because they do influence other applications
      more often.

      > I am sorry, but that is all I can do for you.
      >
      > A wild guess: what about a Norton Commander-like file manager with that
      > special use of Ins (select file)?
      >
      > Good luck,
      > Gerard
      >
      > --
      > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      > 2312 ZD Leiden
      > Netherlands
      > inboxgen@...

      I do use Alt+Shift to switch between keymaps, and it sometimes makes
      trouble in Note Tab by causing the application context menus to open
      instead of writing the diacriticals - but toggling a second time
      overcomes.

      I am satisifed from your responses that there is no unintended Note
      Tab shortcut being accidentally invoked, which was my root question to
      the board. I do routinely reinstall the operating system to maintain
      integrity, and my current install is only about five weeks old.
      Virus seems a least likely cause, unless it has a very narrow range of
      attack indeed.

      Will swap keyboard, but I am not sanguine about the outcome. Not
      using any other editors, was really hoping NT would be everything for
      me. I have uninstalled, done registry clean and reinstalled several
      times, but the problem returns. I just need to watch and see what I'm
      doing to cause this, I think.

      Thanks to Gerard and hsavage for adding input, and again to all my
      advisors, that you guys are geniuses is evident from a survey of the
      other messages, you''ve solved many very recondite problems in these
      pages, really impressive. So if anyone wakes up in the night
      crying Eureka with my solution, feel free to send msg via profile.
    • ebbtidalflats
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Jerden Dembrec" <dembrecj@...> wrote:

        > ... I mostly edit by Ctrl-X, Crtl-V, and avoid using that
        > keygroup around Del entirely, I was hoping there was some common
        > accidental keystroke that was starting this effect which if known, I
        > could avoid, or reverse. I'm losing a lot of text this way, before

        There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
        Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor key.

        If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
        right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
        will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
        NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.

        Hope this helps.

        Eb
      • Jerden Dembrec
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

          > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
          > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
          key.

          > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
          > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
          > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
          > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
          >

          > Hope this helps.
          >

          > Eb

          Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
          use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
          I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
            > Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
            > use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
            > I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

            Notetab really is all that! Hope you are able to resolve it.
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
              At 6/14/2008 03:56 PM, you wrote:
              >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com,
              >"ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:
              > > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
              > > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
              >key.
              > >
              > > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
              > > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
              > > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
              > > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
              > > Hope this helps.
              > > Eb
              >
              >Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
              >use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
              >I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

              It would help us help you if you are more specific in stating your problem.
              In particular, what is the status of the insert/overwrite mode when you
              are find you are overwriting. As I have said before, the status line is not
              always in synch with the program mode, i.e., the status line might say
              insert while Notetab is actually in overwrite mode and vice versa. (You
              do have the status bar turned on, right? [View | Status bar checked])

              You might also get in the habit of frequently monitoring the status bar
              to note any mode changes and what you were doing at the time. It is
              up to you to observe and report on the conditions leading up to, and
              upon, experiencing your problem. For example, how often does it occur -
              after 5 min, 2 hours, totally random? What are you doing - heavy editing,
              primarily straight input? Are you using the mouse? Shift keys? Arrow
              keys? Do you touch type? Where on/around the keyboard are your hands?
              Basically, what is the repeatable pattern that causes the problem?

              Good luck, Art