Re: [NTB] text being replaced unintentionally

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
      Jerden Dembrec wrote:
      > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
      > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
      > the text ahead, letter by letter.
      >
      > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
      > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
      > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
      > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.

      The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
      it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.
    • Jerden Dembrec
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

        > Jerden Dembrec wrote:
        > > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
        > > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
        > > the text ahead, letter by letter.
        > >
        > > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
        > > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
        > > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
        > > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
        >
        > The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
        > it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.

        Many thanks to scismgenie, artkns, and dpasseng for reading.

        Experiencing the problem again even now. The Insert function toggles
        normally, alternating Ins and Ovr in status bar, but while both
        toggled off and on, the eating-letter-ahead phenom continues just the
        same. I mostly edit by Ctrl-X, Crtl-V, and avoid using that
        keygroup around Del entirely, I was hoping there was some common
        accidental keystroke that was starting this effect which if known, I
        could avoid, or reverse. I'm losing a lot of text this way, before I
        notice its happening. And otherwise Note Tab is working perfect for
        me, but this ... causing me lotta crying.
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
          Jerden Dembrec wrote:
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
          >> Jerden Dembrec wrote:
          >>> I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
          >>> persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
          >>> the text ahead, letter by letter.
          >>>
          >>> I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
          >>> behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
          >>> Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
          >>> recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
          >> The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
          >> it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.
          If you have insert on (INS shows in lower right corner of screen) you
          should not be losing anything! If you toggle insert (OVR now shows)
          typing in the middle of text should be over-writing the existing text.
          That should NEVER occur with INS showing. If it is, then something is
          corrupt in your install. I would try a new copy of Notetab. I would
          worry about a virus or other issue with my machine. I'd be sure I had a
          full back-up and that I told everyone around me that I loved them incase
          of disaster (well okay, that might be a bit much ... but you get the
          point). It just should not work that way.
          The only other thing I can think of is that you somehow are getting
          something highlighted and thus replaced when you type?

          Good luck my friend.

          Don
        • hsavage
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
            Jerden Dembrec wrote:
            > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
            > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
            > the text ahead, letter by letter.
            >
            > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
            > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
            > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
            > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
            >
            > I've attenpted to search the past posts for insight but finding
            > nothing, any help will be appreciated.

            Jerden,

            Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you have any
            other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so, does
            it work correctly?

            If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily swapping,
            the keyboard itself.

            ºvº SL_166 created_2008.06.14_08.08.26

            Newspaper HeadLine...
            • Soviet Virgin Lands Short of Goal Again
            € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
              hsavage wrote:

              > Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you have any
              > other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so, does
              > it work correctly?
              >
              > If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily swapping,
              > the keyboard itself.

              I am thinking along those lines too.

              An unintentional use of Alt + Shift (instead of e.g. Ctrl + Shift) had
              me typing gobbledygook in NoteTab (and I had to reboot Windows to stop
              it), until I found out that Alt + Shift is a little-known Windows
              keyboard shortcut that switches keyboards if you have more than one
              installed.
              I do have two, for the Antioch add-on for MS Word to enter Greek and
              Hebrew. The second keyboard is required for the Hebrew part.

              I have no idea what is causing your problems, but keyboard shortcuts can
              be quite insidious, because they do influence other applications more often.

              I am sorry, but that is all I can do for you.

              A wild guess: what about a Norton Commander-like file manager with that
              special use of Ins (select file)?

              Good luck,
              Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

                > hsavage wrote:
                >

                > > Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you
                have any
                > > other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so,
                does
                > > it work correctly?
                > >
                > > If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily
                swapping,
                > > the keyboard itself.
                >

                > I am thinking along those lines too.
                >
                > An unintentional use of Alt + Shift (instead of e.g. Ctrl + Shift) had
                > me typing gobbledygook in NoteTab (and I had to reboot Windows to stop
                > it), until I found out that Alt + Shift is a little-known Windows
                > keyboard shortcut that switches keyboards if you have more than one
                > installed.
                > I do have two, for the Antioch add-on for MS Word to enter Greek and
                > Hebrew. The second keyboard is required for the Hebrew part.
                >
                > I have no idea what is causing your problems, but keyboard shortcuts
                can
                > be quite insidious, because they do influence other applications
                more often.

                > I am sorry, but that is all I can do for you.
                >
                > A wild guess: what about a Norton Commander-like file manager with that
                > special use of Ins (select file)?
                >
                > Good luck,
                > Gerard
                >
                > --
                > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                > 2312 ZD Leiden
                > Netherlands
                > inboxgen@...

                I do use Alt+Shift to switch between keymaps, and it sometimes makes
                trouble in Note Tab by causing the application context menus to open
                instead of writing the diacriticals - but toggling a second time
                overcomes.

                I am satisifed from your responses that there is no unintended Note
                Tab shortcut being accidentally invoked, which was my root question to
                the board. I do routinely reinstall the operating system to maintain
                integrity, and my current install is only about five weeks old.
                Virus seems a least likely cause, unless it has a very narrow range of
                attack indeed.

                Will swap keyboard, but I am not sanguine about the outcome. Not
                using any other editors, was really hoping NT would be everything for
                me. I have uninstalled, done registry clean and reinstalled several
                times, but the problem returns. I just need to watch and see what I'm
                doing to cause this, I think.

                Thanks to Gerard and hsavage for adding input, and again to all my
                advisors, that you guys are geniuses is evident from a survey of the
                other messages, you''ve solved many very recondite problems in these
                pages, really impressive. So if anyone wakes up in the night
                crying Eureka with my solution, feel free to send msg via profile.
              • ebbtidalflats
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Jerden Dembrec" <dembrecj@...> wrote:

                  > ... I mostly edit by Ctrl-X, Crtl-V, and avoid using that
                  > keygroup around Del entirely, I was hoping there was some common
                  > accidental keystroke that was starting this effect which if known, I
                  > could avoid, or reverse. I'm losing a lot of text this way, before

                  There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                  Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor key.

                  If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                  right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                  will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                  NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Eb
                • Jerden Dembrec
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

                    > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                    > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
                    key.

                    > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                    > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                    > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                    > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
                    >

                    > Hope this helps.
                    >

                    > Eb

                    Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                    use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                    I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.
                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                      > Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                      > use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                      > I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

                      Notetab really is all that! Hope you are able to resolve it.
                    • Art Kocsis
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
                        At 6/14/2008 03:56 PM, you wrote:
                        >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com,
                        >"ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:
                        > > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                        > > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
                        >key.
                        > >
                        > > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                        > > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                        > > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                        > > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
                        > > Hope this helps.
                        > > Eb
                        >
                        >Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                        >use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                        >I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

                        It would help us help you if you are more specific in stating your problem.
                        In particular, what is the status of the insert/overwrite mode when you
                        are find you are overwriting. As I have said before, the status line is not
                        always in synch with the program mode, i.e., the status line might say
                        insert while Notetab is actually in overwrite mode and vice versa. (You
                        do have the status bar turned on, right? [View | Status bar checked])

                        You might also get in the habit of frequently monitoring the status bar
                        to note any mode changes and what you were doing at the time. It is
                        up to you to observe and report on the conditions leading up to, and
                        upon, experiencing your problem. For example, how often does it occur -
                        after 5 min, 2 hours, totally random? What are you doing - heavy editing,
                        primarily straight input? Are you using the mouse? Shift keys? Arrow
                        keys? Do you touch type? Where on/around the keyboard are your hands?
                        Basically, what is the repeatable pattern that causes the problem?

                        Good luck, Art