Re: [NTB] text being replaced unintentionally

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
      Sure sounds like the overwrite mode. What does the status line say?
      (At the bottom of the screen.) Toggle the insert key and make sure
      the status changes each time. I've had times when the status display
      is out of synch with reality but it always toggled.

      Test how fast you can toggle the mode. You might have had some
      background activity stealing CPU time - like Symantec AntiVirus.

      Art

      At 6/11/2008 12:39 PM, Jerden Dembrec wrote:
      >I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
      >persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
      >the text ahead, letter by letter.
      >
      >I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
      >behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
      >Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
      >recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
      >
      >I've attenpted to search the past posts for insight but finding
      >nothing, any help will be appreciated.
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 11, 2008
        Jerden Dembrec wrote:
        > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
        > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
        > the text ahead, letter by letter.
        >
        > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
        > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
        > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
        > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.

        The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
        it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.
      • Jerden Dembrec
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 13, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

          > Jerden Dembrec wrote:
          > > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
          > > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
          > > the text ahead, letter by letter.
          > >
          > > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
          > > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
          > > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
          > > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
          >
          > The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
          > it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.

          Many thanks to scismgenie, artkns, and dpasseng for reading.

          Experiencing the problem again even now. The Insert function toggles
          normally, alternating Ins and Ovr in status bar, but while both
          toggled off and on, the eating-letter-ahead phenom continues just the
          same. I mostly edit by Ctrl-X, Crtl-V, and avoid using that
          keygroup around Del entirely, I was hoping there was some common
          accidental keystroke that was starting this effect which if known, I
          could avoid, or reverse. I'm losing a lot of text this way, before I
          notice its happening. And otherwise Note Tab is working perfect for
          me, but this ... causing me lotta crying.
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
            Jerden Dembrec wrote:
            > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
            >> Jerden Dembrec wrote:
            >>> I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
            >>> persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
            >>> the text ahead, letter by letter.
            >>>
            >>> I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
            >>> behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
            >>> Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
            >>> recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
            >> The only thing I can think of is that you have insert off when you want
            >> it on. It should toggle. If not ... hmmm no idea why not.
            If you have insert on (INS shows in lower right corner of screen) you
            should not be losing anything! If you toggle insert (OVR now shows)
            typing in the middle of text should be over-writing the existing text.
            That should NEVER occur with INS showing. If it is, then something is
            corrupt in your install. I would try a new copy of Notetab. I would
            worry about a virus or other issue with my machine. I'd be sure I had a
            full back-up and that I told everyone around me that I loved them incase
            of disaster (well okay, that might be a bit much ... but you get the
            point). It just should not work that way.
            The only other thing I can think of is that you somehow are getting
            something highlighted and thus replaced when you type?

            Good luck my friend.

            Don
          • hsavage
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
              Jerden Dembrec wrote:
              > I've been using Note Tab Light for three months and am troubled by a
              > persistent phenomenon in which when typing the advancing text "eats"
              > the text ahead, letter by letter.
              >
              > I don't know if there is some inadvertent keystroke that starts this
              > behaviour, but I would like to know how to bypass or disable it.
              > Using the "insert" key does not work except occasionally. My only
              > recourse seems to be to close and re-open the application.
              >
              > I've attenpted to search the past posts for insight but finding
              > nothing, any help will be appreciated.

              Jerden,

              Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you have any
              other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so, does
              it work correctly?

              If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily swapping,
              the keyboard itself.

              ºvº SL_166 created_2008.06.14_08.08.26

              Newspaper HeadLine...
              • Soviet Virgin Lands Short of Goal Again
              € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com
            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                hsavage wrote:

                > Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you have any
                > other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so, does
                > it work correctly?
                >
                > If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily swapping,
                > the keyboard itself.

                I am thinking along those lines too.

                An unintentional use of Alt + Shift (instead of e.g. Ctrl + Shift) had
                me typing gobbledygook in NoteTab (and I had to reboot Windows to stop
                it), until I found out that Alt + Shift is a little-known Windows
                keyboard shortcut that switches keyboards if you have more than one
                installed.
                I do have two, for the Antioch add-on for MS Word to enter Greek and
                Hebrew. The second keyboard is required for the Hebrew part.

                I have no idea what is causing your problems, but keyboard shortcuts can
                be quite insidious, because they do influence other applications more often.

                I am sorry, but that is all I can do for you.

                A wild guess: what about a Norton Commander-like file manager with that
                special use of Ins (select file)?

                Good luck,
                Gerard

                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

                  > hsavage wrote:
                  >

                  > > Sounds like you have your INS/OVR status info straight. Do you
                  have any
                  > > other software that requires keyboard input, Word eg., and if so,
                  does
                  > > it work correctly?
                  > >
                  > > If there's a problem you might consider checking, temporarily
                  swapping,
                  > > the keyboard itself.
                  >

                  > I am thinking along those lines too.
                  >
                  > An unintentional use of Alt + Shift (instead of e.g. Ctrl + Shift) had
                  > me typing gobbledygook in NoteTab (and I had to reboot Windows to stop
                  > it), until I found out that Alt + Shift is a little-known Windows
                  > keyboard shortcut that switches keyboards if you have more than one
                  > installed.
                  > I do have two, for the Antioch add-on for MS Word to enter Greek and
                  > Hebrew. The second keyboard is required for the Hebrew part.
                  >
                  > I have no idea what is causing your problems, but keyboard shortcuts
                  can
                  > be quite insidious, because they do influence other applications
                  more often.

                  > I am sorry, but that is all I can do for you.
                  >
                  > A wild guess: what about a Norton Commander-like file manager with that
                  > special use of Ins (select file)?
                  >
                  > Good luck,
                  > Gerard
                  >
                  > --
                  > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  > 2312 ZD Leiden
                  > Netherlands
                  > inboxgen@...

                  I do use Alt+Shift to switch between keymaps, and it sometimes makes
                  trouble in Note Tab by causing the application context menus to open
                  instead of writing the diacriticals - but toggling a second time
                  overcomes.

                  I am satisifed from your responses that there is no unintended Note
                  Tab shortcut being accidentally invoked, which was my root question to
                  the board. I do routinely reinstall the operating system to maintain
                  integrity, and my current install is only about five weeks old.
                  Virus seems a least likely cause, unless it has a very narrow range of
                  attack indeed.

                  Will swap keyboard, but I am not sanguine about the outcome. Not
                  using any other editors, was really hoping NT would be everything for
                  me. I have uninstalled, done registry clean and reinstalled several
                  times, but the problem returns. I just need to watch and see what I'm
                  doing to cause this, I think.

                  Thanks to Gerard and hsavage for adding input, and again to all my
                  advisors, that you guys are geniuses is evident from a survey of the
                  other messages, you''ve solved many very recondite problems in these
                  pages, really impressive. So if anyone wakes up in the night
                  crying Eureka with my solution, feel free to send msg via profile.
                • ebbtidalflats
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Jerden Dembrec" <dembrecj@...> wrote:

                    > ... I mostly edit by Ctrl-X, Crtl-V, and avoid using that
                    > keygroup around Del entirely, I was hoping there was some common
                    > accidental keystroke that was starting this effect which if known, I
                    > could avoid, or reverse. I'm losing a lot of text this way, before

                    There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                    Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor key.

                    If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                    right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                    will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                    NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.

                    Hope this helps.

                    Eb
                  • Jerden Dembrec
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:

                      > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                      > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
                      key.

                      > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                      > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                      > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                      > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
                      >

                      > Hope this helps.
                      >

                      > Eb

                      Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                      use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                      I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 14, 2008
                        > Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                        > use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                        > I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

                        Notetab really is all that! Hope you are able to resolve it.
                      • Art Kocsis
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 15, 2008
                          At 6/14/2008 03:56 PM, you wrote:
                          >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com,
                          >"ebbtidalflats" <ebbtidalflats@...> wrote:
                          > > There is a SECOND INS key on the numeral ZERO, keypad, IF you have
                          > > Numlock OFF. On MY keuboard this is right next to the RtArrow cursor
                          >key.
                          > >
                          > > If this is the problem (accidental pressing [0/Ins] together with the
                          > > right arrow key, then the FIX is to keep Numlock ON at all times. That
                          > > will insert a zero, whenever you accidentally press that key, but will
                          > > NOT affect subsequent keystrokes.
                          > > Hope this helps.
                          > > Eb
                          >
                          >Good observation! could be I'm hitting the 0 with my bear paw when I
                          >use the arrow keys. I hope that's it.
                          >I'll keep the lock on while editing and see what happens.

                          It would help us help you if you are more specific in stating your problem.
                          In particular, what is the status of the insert/overwrite mode when you
                          are find you are overwriting. As I have said before, the status line is not
                          always in synch with the program mode, i.e., the status line might say
                          insert while Notetab is actually in overwrite mode and vice versa. (You
                          do have the status bar turned on, right? [View | Status bar checked])

                          You might also get in the habit of frequently monitoring the status bar
                          to note any mode changes and what you were doing at the time. It is
                          up to you to observe and report on the conditions leading up to, and
                          upon, experiencing your problem. For example, how often does it occur -
                          after 5 min, 2 hours, totally random? What are you doing - heavy editing,
                          primarily straight input? Are you using the mouse? Shift keys? Arrow
                          keys? Do you touch type? Where on/around the keyboard are your hands?
                          Basically, what is the repeatable pattern that causes the problem?

                          Good luck, Art