Re: [NTB] Really basic question....

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
      Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

      > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
      > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
      > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

      I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

      When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
      beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
      previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
      It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
      matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
      Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

      Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

      Gerard

      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Netherlands
      inboxgen@...
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
        On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
        > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
        > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
        > terms that NTB has remembered.

        I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
        blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
        text field.

        Greg
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
          Gerard Huijing wrote:
          > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
          >
          >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
          >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
          >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
          >
          > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
          >
          > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
          > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
          > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
          > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
          > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
          > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
          >
          > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
          >
          > Gerard

          Hi Gerard,

          It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
          dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
          click.

          It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
          of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
          on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
          halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
          background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
          document.

          I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
          former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

          I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
        • sisterscape
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
            Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
            challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

            Sister

            --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

            > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
            > left
            > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
            > aren't
            > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
            > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
            > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
            > document.

          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
              It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
              toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
              find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
              regex or not regex format.

              Eric, any chance of this?

              sisterscape wrote:
              > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
              > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
              >
              > Sister
              >

              > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
              >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
              >> left
              >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
              >> aren't
              >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
              >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
              >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
              >> document.
            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                > document.
                >
                > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                >
                > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                completely.

                Cheers,
                Gerard

                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                  "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                  -0400 (in part):
                  > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                  > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                  > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                  > regex or not regex format.
                  Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                  Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                  syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                  the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                  Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                  shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                  text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                  you issue the Ctrl+R.

                  Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                  follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                  Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                  never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                  Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                  and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                  Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                  Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                  regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                  paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                  done was not what you wanted.

                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                    "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                    13:33 -0400 (in part):
                    > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                    > what I wanted.
                    >
                    > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                    > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                    > of the basics??!!
                    And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                    '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                    Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail