Re: Really basic question....

  • terencefrancisedwards
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
      Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
      what I wanted.

      I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
      fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
      of the basics??!!

      Thanks again to all

      Terry
    • Gerard Huijing
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

        > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
        > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
        > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

        I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

        When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
        beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
        previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
        It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
        matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
        Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

        Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

        Gerard

        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        2312 ZD Leiden
        Netherlands
        inboxgen@...
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
          On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
          > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
          > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
          > terms that NTB has remembered.

          I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
          blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
          text field.

          Greg
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
            Gerard Huijing wrote:
            > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
            >
            >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
            >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
            >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
            >
            > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
            >
            > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
            > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
            > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
            > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
            > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
            > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
            >
            > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
            >
            > Gerard

            Hi Gerard,

            It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
            dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
            click.

            It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
            of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
            on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
            halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
            background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
            document.

            I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
            former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

            I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
          • sisterscape
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
              Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
              challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

              Sister

              --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

              > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
              > left
              > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
              > aren't
              > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
              > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
              > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
              > document.

            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                regex or not regex format.

                Eric, any chance of this?

                sisterscape wrote:
                > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
                >
                > Sister
                >

                > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                >> left
                >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                >> aren't
                >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                >> document.
              • Gerard Huijing
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                  Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                  > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                  > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                  > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                  > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                  > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                  > document.
                  >
                  > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                  > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                  >
                  > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                  Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                  completely.

                  Cheers,
                  Gerard

                  --
                  Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                  2312 ZD Leiden
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                    "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                    -0400 (in part):
                    > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                    > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                    > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                    > regex or not regex format.
                    Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                    Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                    syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                    the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                    Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                    shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                    text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                    you issue the Ctrl+R.

                    Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                    follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                    Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                    never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                    Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                    and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                    Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                    Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                    regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                    paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                    done was not what you wanted.

                    Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                      "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                      13:33 -0400 (in part):
                      > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                      > what I wanted.
                      >
                      > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                      > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                      > of the basics??!!
                      And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                      '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail