Re: [NTB] How to Specify Support Directory Location

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
      Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said on Jun 03, 2008 7:40 -0400 (in
      part):
      > I was just trying to configure NT 5.61 to match my v4.95 settings and
      > can't
      > find
      > the place to specify the support directory. [WinXP/SP2]
      >
      > In 4.95 it was in the Options | Advanced | Support files Location: which
      > defined
      > the [Applications] MainDirectory key in the INI file. I scanned the NT
      > exe file
      > and "MainDirectory" no longer exists in it.
      >
      > I want a single user installation and do NOT want to put anything in
      > Docs &
      > Settings. I need to have a common support directory for both Notetab Std &
      > NoteTab Pro 5.61 as well as 4.95 until I am sure everything works in 5.61.
      Art:

      Here's my understanding of what you want and *POSSIBLE* approaches below.

      * Four separate installs and ability to run each of NoteTab 4.95
      Std, Notetab 4.95 Pro, Notetab 5.61 Std and Notetab 5.61 Pro
      through (say) shortcuts for each in QuickLaunch toolbar or Desktop.
      o Correct?
      * All four installs to share the SAME support sub-folders (ie.
      Favorites Libraries Scripts Spelling Templates) and other files
      normally found in the top level of the %Program Files%\Notetab.
      o Correct?
      * Location of these support files and sub-folders NOT to be in or under
      * C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\
      o correct?

      Here are the folders I have in use: (\AmbPF\ is just a %Program Files%
      subfolder I put EVERY install in if the installer allows me to choose -
      to distinguish it from programs that were there from original install of
      Windows XP and those "dropped" w/o my knowledge or consent):

      * C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Light 4.95
      * C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Light 5
      * C:\Program Files\AmbPF\Notetab Pro 4.95
      * C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Pro 5
      * C:\Program Files\AmbPF\NoteTab Std 5

      * C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Light
      * C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Pro
      * C:\Documents and Settings\Alec\Application Data\NoteTab Std

      Obviously the Docs+Settings subfolders are from Notetab 5.x since
      Notetab 4.9x didn't (easily) support the concept of separating
      "programs" from "data".

      You can avoid touching Docs+Settings by keeping the
      "notetab.ini"/"notepro.ini" in the %program files%. folder in all
      variants of Notetab 5.

      None of the following has been tested - caveat emptor:

      (1) Fool around with command lines options on the shortcuts used to
      invoke the various Notetabs to achieve some or all of what you want:

      * /INI=
      * /F=FavoritesFileName
      * /USB (since 5.2)
      * /USER=FolderName (since 5.0)
      o using the same location for multiple editions of Notetab
      (Pro, Std, Light) should work well but only for Notetab 5.x
      as Notetab 4.x doesn't support the concept of separate
      Programs and Data

      (2) I *THINK* I remember reading once that the name of the notetab ini
      file that is looked for is exactly the name of the executable.

      So rename executables for each as:

      * Notetab_4_std.exe
      * Notetab_5_std.exe
      * Notetab_4_pro.exe
      * Notetab_5_pro.exe

      and put them ALL together in the same common hand-assembled location eg.
      C:\Program Files\Notetab_all\ . This might work well?

      (3) Use JUNCTIONS (see:
      http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/fileanddisk/junction.mspx)
      and/or Junction Link Magic (see:
      http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm) to make folders that Notetab
      THINKS are in one location actually BE in different/same locations.

      IF (big IF) it works I think the rename-executables approach is likely
      to come closest to what you want. Once you've made the cut over to
      exclusive use of Notetab 5 I think the /USER=FolderName may be your best
      long term solution.

      Just curious - are there features in Standard that you need/want that
      make you reluctant to commit to Pro (if so which?) or you just trying to
      make sure all your bases are covered?

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Alec,

        Thanks for the quick response.

        Yes, you understand exactly what I want to do - 4 separate NT installs,
        all sharing the same support sub-folders for Favorites, Libraries, Scripts,
        Spelling, Templates, etc & not under the XP Docs & Settings folder.

        Why do you say it is hard to separate programs & data in v4.95? I found
        it quite easy to do. All it took was to define a separate support folder in
        the "Options | Advanced | Support files Location". I could then delete all
        of the Notetab installation sub-folders, leaving only the program folder.
        [I also like to separate the icon images from the clips. It requires the
        image path to be specifies in the *.ctb file.] I did put the Notetab INI
        file in the program directory to eliminate the Docs & Settings\..\Appl
        Data Notetab sub-folders.

        Well, it looks like your suggestion to use the /USER=<foldername>
        does the trick for v5.61 & the "Support files Location" still works for
        v4.95. Great! That is what I wanted. I think the 4.95 method is much
        better though. Requiring the /USER switch means that I will have to
        edit the registry and all links to include the switch. However, at least
        it will work and I don't have to keep synchronizing multiple files. Thanks.

        I didn't try the other command line switches as they didn't point to the
        entire support folder. Creating separate support folders for the various
        versions was what I was trying to avoid. I don't think renaming the EXEs
        & using unique INI file names is viable either as it would require editing
        the application paths in the registry plus whatever else. The INI file name
        does seem to follow the EXE file name though. This is unfortunate, in a
        way, as it requires an effort to keep them synchronized. Although I
        should be able to avoid that via the /INI command line switch. Didn't
        bother with JUNCTION as it smacks of complexity and XP struggles
        enough to keep running now.

        Re Standard vs Pro. Yes, there are very specific reasons for using Std.
        I have both for 4.95 and hardly ever use the Pro version. The biggie is
        the non-support of proportional fonts in Pro. Others are limited tab
        control options, and it has some bugs in handling some of my clips.
        I wish Eric had made Pro a superset of Std instead of two separate
        feature sets. Other than Pro is supposed to run much faster than Std,
        I haven't seen any compelling reason to use Pro. What do you use
        and why?

        Namaste', Art

        Real programmers never document. The code is obvious. (unk)

      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2008
          Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said on Jun 03, 2008 23:22 -0400 (in
          part):
          > Re Standard vs Pro. Yes, there are very specific reasons for using Std.
          > I have both for 4.95 and hardly ever use the Pro version. The biggie is
          > the non-support of proportional fonts in Pro. Others are limited tab
          > control options, and it has some bugs in handling some of my clips.
          Have you checked any/all of the clips that caused problems:

          * ie. works in Standard / fails in Pro in Notetab Std 5 vs Notetab
          Pro 5.
          * I (and probably others) would like to see if those "problems"
          still exist.
          o after of course correcting changed syntax (though as far as
          I know) those are principally changed regular expression
          syntax which may or may not be a conversion issue for you.

          > I wish Eric had made Pro a superset of Std instead of two separate
          > feature sets.
          see "yada yada yada" below ;-)
          > Other than Pro is supposed to run much faster than Std,
          > I haven't seen any compelling reason to use Pro. What do you use
          > and why?
          The deal-breakers that Pro offers (for me - YMMV) are:

          * General speed ......................... Very fast
          * "Replace All" speed ................. Very fast
          * Show non-printing characters ..... Yes
          * Multi-level undo/redo ................ Yes
          * URL and HTML-highlighting ......Yes
          * Can wrap text to column ............ Yes
          * Show line numbers..................... Yes

          though I can't say I've ever done any speed testing to verify whether
          the top two would make any practical difference in my normal work.

          Fonts don't bother me much ... if I need/care about them I use Word,
          Thunderbird compose, or an HTML editor (Dreamweaver/Nvu etc). Ditto
          tabs - very rarely - much less than when I first started using Notetab
          Pro I make use of its "smart tabbing" (read indenting) and I'd never use
          set tab positions - again I'd probably use DreamWeaver and invisible
          table borders if I wanted to create a Display/External document and it
          really mattered.

          The one biggie that *is* available in Standard and Light but NOT in Pro
          (though AFAICT it doesn't even make the comparison list) is the ability
          to drag and drop selected text from and to Second Window, browser
          windows (or another instance of Notetab standard or light) but copy
          paste (and the use of ClipCache or alternative) is "good enough" that I
          rarely even consider opening up Standard.

          I understand WHY - different input controls ... yada yada yada ... but I
          wish it could have been made available in Pro :-(

          Btw: I sometimes open up PSPad both for that and its ability to have
          multiple resizeable windows AND (this is a biggie) its ability to do a
          search and EASILY (w/o clips) list all hits and allow double-click on
          one and jump to the source line in the document. (Though a four year old
          - never corrected bug makes the double-click top jump unreliable when in
          wrap mode). While on PSPad, its also got HEX editing and syntax
          highlighting but that's a topic for off-topic!!

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail