Re: [NTB] Really basic question....

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
      loro wrote:
      > Alan G wrote:
      >> And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
      >> of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.
      >
      > Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
      > RegEx needed then.
      >
      > Lotta
      Hi Alan, Lotta and Terry

      And I would just add a return before the first line and after the last
      line and then go back and delete the first and last lines :-) rather
      than manually add my proceeding and trailing text if I were going to use
      your method.

      However you can do a lot more with either regex (regular expression
      replaces or with clips). Clips are discussed on another list so I won't
      touch them here, but I encourage you to join it. It may seem complex at
      first, but it isn't really.

      I believe if you do this:
      1. open find and replace dialog (control + r)
      2. check the regex box in the bottom center of it
      3. position the cursor at the top of the document (a shortcut way to do
      this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
      moves the cursor to the start of the file) and be sure search direction
      is down in the drop down of course
      4. put this in the top box: ^(.+)
      5. put this in the bottom box: before$1after

      You will get the outcome you desire for all lines in the file. It will
      even skip blank lines.

      Welcome to notetab, the most used tool in my software bag.

      Don
    • terencefrancisedwards
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
        Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
        what I wanted.

        I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
        fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
        of the basics??!!

        Thanks again to all

        Terry
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

          > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
          > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
          > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

          I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

          When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
          beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
          previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
          It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
          matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
          Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

          Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

          Gerard

          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Netherlands
          inboxgen@...
        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
            On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
            > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
            > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
            > terms that NTB has remembered.

            I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
            blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
            text field.

            Greg
          • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
              Gerard Huijing wrote:
              > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
              >
              >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
              >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
              >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
              >
              > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
              >
              > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
              > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
              > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
              > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
              > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
              > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
              >
              > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
              >
              > Gerard

              Hi Gerard,

              It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
              dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
              click.

              It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
              of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
              on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
              halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
              background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
              document.

              I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
              former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

              I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
            • sisterscape
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

                Sister

                --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                > left
                > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                > aren't
                > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                > document.

              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                  It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                  toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                  find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                  regex or not regex format.

                  Eric, any chance of this?

                  sisterscape wrote:
                  > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                  > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
                  >
                  > Sister
                  >

                  > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                  >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                  >> left
                  >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                  >> aren't
                  >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                  >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                  >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                  >> document.
                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                    Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                    > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                    > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                    > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                    > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                    > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                    > document.
                    >
                    > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                    > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                    >
                    > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                    Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                    completely.

                    Cheers,
                    Gerard

                    --
                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                    2312 ZD Leiden
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                      "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                      -0400 (in part):
                      > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                      > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                      > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                      > regex or not regex format.
                      Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                      Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                      syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                      the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                      Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                      shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                      text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                      you issue the Ctrl+R.

                      Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                      follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                      Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                      never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                      Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                      and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                      Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                      Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                      regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                      paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                      done was not what you wanted.

                      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                        "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                        13:33 -0400 (in part):
                        > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                        > what I wanted.
                        >
                        > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                        > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                        > of the basics??!!
                        And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                        '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail