Re: [NTB] Really basic question....

  • Alan G
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2008
      > Well, this is pretty easy. No, you don't need a clip. You don't need
      > even to use fancy string functions, like regular expressions. Just a
      > plain old search-and-replace will do.
      >
      > Search for "^P" (do not include the quotes)
      > Replace with "^Phttp://www.domain.com/"
      >
      > The thing is, the "^P" is understood by Notetab as meaning "line break".
      > So, you treat a line break as any other character in the text.

      And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
      of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

      Alan G
    • loro
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2008
        Alan G wrote:
        >And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
        >of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

        Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
        RegEx needed then.

        Lotta
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
          loro wrote:
          > Alan G wrote:
          >> And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
          >> of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.
          >
          > Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
          > RegEx needed then.
          >
          > Lotta
          Hi Alan, Lotta and Terry

          And I would just add a return before the first line and after the last
          line and then go back and delete the first and last lines :-) rather
          than manually add my proceeding and trailing text if I were going to use
          your method.

          However you can do a lot more with either regex (regular expression
          replaces or with clips). Clips are discussed on another list so I won't
          touch them here, but I encourage you to join it. It may seem complex at
          first, but it isn't really.

          I believe if you do this:
          1. open find and replace dialog (control + r)
          2. check the regex box in the bottom center of it
          3. position the cursor at the top of the document (a shortcut way to do
          this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
          moves the cursor to the start of the file) and be sure search direction
          is down in the drop down of course
          4. put this in the top box: ^(.+)
          5. put this in the bottom box: before$1after

          You will get the outcome you desire for all lines in the file. It will
          even skip blank lines.

          Welcome to notetab, the most used tool in my software bag.

          Don
        • terencefrancisedwards
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
            Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
            what I wanted.

            I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
            fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
            of the basics??!!

            Thanks again to all

            Terry
          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
              Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

              > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
              > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
              > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

              I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

              When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
              beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
              previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
              It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
              matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
              Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

              Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

              Gerard

              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Netherlands
              inboxgen@...
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
                > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
                > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
                > terms that NTB has remembered.

                I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
                blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
                text field.

                Greg
              • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Gerard Huijing wrote:
                  > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                  >
                  >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
                  >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                  >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
                  >
                  > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
                  >
                  > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
                  > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
                  > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
                  > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
                  > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
                  > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
                  >
                  > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
                  >
                  > Gerard

                  Hi Gerard,

                  It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
                  dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
                  click.

                  It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                  of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                  on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                  halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                  background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                  document.

                  I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                  former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

                  I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
                • sisterscape
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                    challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

                    Sister

                    --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                    > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                    > left
                    > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                    > aren't
                    > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                    > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                    > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                    > document.

                  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                      It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                      toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                      find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                      regex or not regex format.

                      Eric, any chance of this?

                      sisterscape wrote:
                      > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                      > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
                      >
                      > Sister
                      >

                      > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                      >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                      >> left
                      >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                      >> aren't
                      >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                      >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                      >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                      >> document.
                    • Gerard Huijing
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                        Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                        > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                        > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                        > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                        > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                        > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                        > document.
                        >
                        > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                        > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                        >
                        > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                        Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                        completely.

                        Cheers,
                        Gerard

                        --
                        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                        2312 ZD Leiden
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                          "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                          -0400 (in part):
                          > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                          > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                          > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                          > regex or not regex format.
                          Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                          Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                          syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                          the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                          Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                          shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                          text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                          you issue the Ctrl+R.

                          Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                          follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                          Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                          never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                          Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                          and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                          Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                          Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                          regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                          paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                          done was not what you wanted.

                          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                            "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                            13:33 -0400 (in part):
                            > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                            > what I wanted.
                            >
                            > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                            > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                            > of the basics??!!
                            And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                            '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail