Re: [NTB] Really basic question....

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2008
      Interviewed by CNN on 31/5/2008 15:09, terencefrancisedwards told the
      world:
      > I've just found NoteTab via a web search and like most people who get
      > new software, want to get on and use it in basic fashion before I get
      > stuck into the learning curve!
      >
      > It seems such a comprehensive programme, but, for the moment, I need
      > text editing to include just basic functions..... such as take a list
      > of words (one on each line) and preface each word with say
      > "http://www.domain.com/ or wrap the word with set text before and set
      > text after.
      >
      >> Fairly straightforward editing but.... I cannot find this easily
      >>
      > within the programme - is it a "clip" that's needed? Looked under help
      > for clips but that seems a subject on it's own.....
      >
      > Guidance to get me going would be appreciated.

      Well, this is pretty easy. No, you don't need a clip. You don't need
      even to use fancy string functions, like regular expressions. Just a
      plain old search-and-replace will do.

      Search for "^P" (do not include the quotes)
      Replace with "^Phttp://www.domain.com/"

      The thing is, the "^P" is understood by Notetab as meaning "line break".
      So, you treat a line break as any other character in the text.

      (By the way, the ^P syntax is pretty widespread -- I think MS Word uses
      it too).

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
      Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. Religion is the theory that
      the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride. - H. L.
      Mencken
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
    • Alan G
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2008
        > Well, this is pretty easy. No, you don't need a clip. You don't need
        > even to use fancy string functions, like regular expressions. Just a
        > plain old search-and-replace will do.
        >
        > Search for "^P" (do not include the quotes)
        > Replace with "^Phttp://www.domain.com/"
        >
        > The thing is, the "^P" is understood by Notetab as meaning "line break".
        > So, you treat a line break as any other character in the text.

        And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
        of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

        Alan G
      • loro
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2008
          Alan G wrote:
          >And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
          >of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

          Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
          RegEx needed then.

          Lotta
        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
            loro wrote:
            > Alan G wrote:
            >> And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
            >> of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.
            >
            > Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
            > RegEx needed then.
            >
            > Lotta
            Hi Alan, Lotta and Terry

            And I would just add a return before the first line and after the last
            line and then go back and delete the first and last lines :-) rather
            than manually add my proceeding and trailing text if I were going to use
            your method.

            However you can do a lot more with either regex (regular expression
            replaces or with clips). Clips are discussed on another list so I won't
            touch them here, but I encourage you to join it. It may seem complex at
            first, but it isn't really.

            I believe if you do this:
            1. open find and replace dialog (control + r)
            2. check the regex box in the bottom center of it
            3. position the cursor at the top of the document (a shortcut way to do
            this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
            moves the cursor to the start of the file) and be sure search direction
            is down in the drop down of course
            4. put this in the top box: ^(.+)
            5. put this in the bottom box: before$1after

            You will get the outcome you desire for all lines in the file. It will
            even skip blank lines.

            Welcome to notetab, the most used tool in my software bag.

            Don
          • terencefrancisedwards
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
              Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
              what I wanted.

              I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
              fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
              of the basics??!!

              Thanks again to all

              Terry
            • Gerard Huijing
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
                > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

                I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

                When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
                beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
                previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
                It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
                matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
                Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

                Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

                Gerard

                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                2312 ZD Leiden
                Netherlands
                inboxgen@...
              • Greg Chapman
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                  On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
                  > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
                  > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
                  > terms that NTB has remembered.

                  I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
                  blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
                  text field.

                  Greg
                • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Gerard Huijing wrote:
                    > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                    >
                    >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
                    >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                    >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
                    >
                    > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
                    >
                    > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
                    > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
                    > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
                    > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
                    > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
                    > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
                    >
                    > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
                    >
                    > Gerard

                    Hi Gerard,

                    It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
                    dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
                    click.

                    It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                    of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                    on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                    halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                    background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                    document.

                    I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                    former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

                    I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
                  • sisterscape
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                      challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

                      Sister

                      --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                      > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                      > left
                      > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                      > aren't
                      > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                      > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                      > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                      > document.

                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                        It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                        toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                        find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                        regex or not regex format.

                        Eric, any chance of this?

                        sisterscape wrote:
                        > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                        > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
                        >
                        > Sister
                        >

                        > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                        >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                        >> left
                        >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                        >> aren't
                        >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                        >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                        >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                        >> document.
                      • Gerard Huijing
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                          Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                          > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                          > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                          > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                          > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                          > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                          > document.
                          >
                          > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                          > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                          >
                          > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                          Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                          completely.

                          Cheers,
                          Gerard

                          --
                          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                          2312 ZD Leiden
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                            "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                            -0400 (in part):
                            > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                            > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                            > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                            > regex or not regex format.
                            Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                            Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                            syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                            the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                            Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                            shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                            text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                            you issue the Ctrl+R.

                            Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                            follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                            Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                            never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                            Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                            and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                            Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                            Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                            regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                            paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                            done was not what you wanted.

                            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                              "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                              13:33 -0400 (in part):
                              > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                              > what I wanted.
                              >
                              > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                              > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                              > of the basics??!!
                              And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                              '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail