Really basic question....

  • terencefrancisedwards
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2008
      I've just found NoteTab via a web search and like most people who get
      new software, want to get on and use it in basic fashion before I get
      stuck into the learning curve!

      It seems such a comprehensive programme, but, for the moment, I need
      text editing to include just basic functions..... such as take a list
      of words (one on each line) and preface each word with say
      "http://www.domain.com/ or wrap the word with set text before and set
      text after.

      > Fairly straightforward editing but.... I cannot find this easily
      within the programme - is it a "clip" that's needed? Looked under help
      for clips but that seems a subject on it's own.....

      Guidance to get me going would be appreciated.

      Many thanks

      Terry
    • loro
      Message 2 of 15 , May 31, 2008
        Terry wrote:
        >I've just found NoteTab via a web search and like most people who get
        >new software, want to get on and use it in basic fashion before I get
        >stuck into the learning curve!
        >
        >It seems such a comprehensive programme, but, for the moment, I need
        >text editing to include just basic functions..... such as take a list
        >of words (one on each line) and preface each word with say
        >"http://www.domain.com/ or wrap the word with set text before and set
        >text after.

        Welcome! :-)

        A clip or simply Find & Replace. CR/LF is represented by the token ^p.
        Find: ^p
        Replace with: ^pYour String

        That would do for your first example. The wrapping would require
        RegEx if you don't do it with a clip.

        Lotta
      • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
        Message 3 of 15 , May 31, 2008
          Interviewed by CNN on 31/5/2008 15:09, terencefrancisedwards told the
          world:
          > I've just found NoteTab via a web search and like most people who get
          > new software, want to get on and use it in basic fashion before I get
          > stuck into the learning curve!
          >
          > It seems such a comprehensive programme, but, for the moment, I need
          > text editing to include just basic functions..... such as take a list
          > of words (one on each line) and preface each word with say
          > "http://www.domain.com/ or wrap the word with set text before and set
          > text after.
          >
          >> Fairly straightforward editing but.... I cannot find this easily
          >>
          > within the programme - is it a "clip" that's needed? Looked under help
          > for clips but that seems a subject on it's own.....
          >
          > Guidance to get me going would be appreciated.

          Well, this is pretty easy. No, you don't need a clip. You don't need
          even to use fancy string functions, like regular expressions. Just a
          plain old search-and-replace will do.

          Search for "^P" (do not include the quotes)
          Replace with "^Phttp://www.domain.com/"

          The thing is, the "^P" is understood by Notetab as meaning "line break".
          So, you treat a line break as any other character in the text.

          (By the way, the ^P syntax is pretty widespread -- I think MS Word uses
          it too).

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          The cosmos is a gigantic fly-wheel making 10,000 revolutions a minute.
          Man is a sick fly taking a dizzy ride on it. Religion is the theory that
          the wheel was designed and set spinning to give him the ride. - H. L.
          Mencken
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
        • Alan G
          Message 4 of 15 , May 31, 2008
            > Well, this is pretty easy. No, you don't need a clip. You don't need
            > even to use fancy string functions, like regular expressions. Just a
            > plain old search-and-replace will do.
            >
            > Search for "^P" (do not include the quotes)
            > Replace with "^Phttp://www.domain.com/"
            >
            > The thing is, the "^P" is understood by Notetab as meaning "line break".
            > So, you treat a line break as any other character in the text.

            And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
            of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

            Alan G
          • loro
            Message 5 of 15 , May 31, 2008
              Alan G wrote:
              >And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
              >of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.

              Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
              RegEx needed then.

              Lotta
            • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 1, 2008
                loro wrote:
                > Alan G wrote:
                >> And for the wrap replace with "Trailing Text^pLeading Text" to take care
                >> of all but the start of the first line and the end of the last line.
                >
                > Right. I missed that it was the same text all the time there too. No
                > RegEx needed then.
                >
                > Lotta
                Hi Alan, Lotta and Terry

                And I would just add a return before the first line and after the last
                line and then go back and delete the first and last lines :-) rather
                than manually add my proceeding and trailing text if I were going to use
                your method.

                However you can do a lot more with either regex (regular expression
                replaces or with clips). Clips are discussed on another list so I won't
                touch them here, but I encourage you to join it. It may seem complex at
                first, but it isn't really.

                I believe if you do this:
                1. open find and replace dialog (control + r)
                2. check the regex box in the bottom center of it
                3. position the cursor at the top of the document (a shortcut way to do
                this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                moves the cursor to the start of the file) and be sure search direction
                is down in the drop down of course
                4. put this in the top box: ^(.+)
                5. put this in the bottom box: before$1after

                You will get the outcome you desire for all lines in the file. It will
                even skip blank lines.

                Welcome to notetab, the most used tool in my software bag.

                Don
              • terencefrancisedwards
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                  what I wanted.

                  I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                  fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                  of the basics??!!

                  Thanks again to all

                  Terry
                • Gerard Huijing
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                    > 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
                    > this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                    > moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...

                    I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).

                    When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
                    beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
                    previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
                    It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
                    matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
                    Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.

                    Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?

                    Gerard

                    Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                    2312 ZD Leiden
                    Netherlands
                    inboxgen@...
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                      On 05 Jun 08 22:52 Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> said:
                      > the double clicking does not bring me to the beginning of the
                      > document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of previous search
                      > terms that NTB has remembered.

                      I think you are double clicking inside the Find field. Blank means
                      blank - not anywhere close to any check box, button, drop-down list or
                      text field.

                      Greg
                    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                        Gerard Huijing wrote:
                        > Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:
                        >
                        >> 3. ... (a shortcut way to do
                        >> this is to double click anywhere "blank" on the find dialog as that
                        >> moves the cursor to the start of the file) ...
                        >
                        > I had never heard of that feature, so I had to try it immediately ;-).
                        >
                        > When I do this (in Pro), the double clicking does not bring me to the
                        > beginning of the document but Find/Replace cycles through a number of
                        > previous search terms that NTB has remembered.
                        > It doesn't matter where I click in the Find dialog box. And it doesn't
                        > matter either if I have checked the RegEx box or not.
                        > Unchecking Find Word at Cursor under Options - Tools did not help either.
                        >
                        > Do you have any idea why "my" NTB behaves so differently?
                        >
                        > Gerard

                        Hi Gerard,

                        It's an awesome feature. Are you sure you are in the right part of the
                        dialog box? I suspect you misunderstand (or I under-explain) where to
                        click.

                        It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                        of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                        on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                        halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                        background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                        document.

                        I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                        former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.

                        I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.
                      • sisterscape
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 5, 2008
                          Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                          challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .

                          Sister

                          --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:

                          > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                          > left
                          > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                          > aren't
                          > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                          > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                          > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                          > document.

                        • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                            It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                            toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                            find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                            regex or not regex format.

                            Eric, any chance of this?

                            sisterscape wrote:
                            > Very clever trick. In even works on NoteTab with Wine. Now the
                            > challenge is to remember it next time I have to update something . . .
                            >
                            > Sister
                            >

                            > --- "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> wrote:
                            >> It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the
                            >> left
                            >> of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you
                            >> aren't
                            >> on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                            >> halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                            >> background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                            >> document.
                          • Gerard Huijing
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 6, 2008
                              Don - HtmlFixIt.com wrote:

                              > It is not in the "white" part. It is in the gray part. Go to the left
                              > of the find next button so that you aren't on find next and you aren't
                              > on the drop down arrow for the search box that is white. So you are
                              > halfway between the drop down arrow and the button on plain old gray
                              > background. Left double click there and you go to the top of the
                              > document.
                              >
                              > I suspect you are clicking in the white box which will in fact bring up
                              > former search terms. The arrow will also allow you to scroll through them.
                              >
                              > I am on pro 5.x myself. So it should work for you.

                              Thank you for the explanation. I had indeed misunderstood "blank"
                              completely.

                              Cheers,
                              Gerard

                              --
                              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                              2312 ZD Leiden
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                                "Don - HtmlFixIt.com" <don@...> said on Jun 06, 2008 7:19
                                -0400 (in part):
                                > It makes my top twenty tricks in notetab. Now I wish that you could
                                > toggle regex on and off. You have to uncheck or check regex, close the
                                > find dialog and reopen it to get the content of the find box to be in
                                > regex or not regex format.
                                Don: Is this your situation? You've selected some text and keyed
                                Ctrl+R. Because [x]-Regular Exp. was ticked it gets converted to regex
                                syntax (eg. all dots are prefixed with back-slash). Now you want to get
                                the same text in the Find what: field but w/o the auto-translate effect?

                                Untick [x] Regular Exp, move mouse out of Replace dialog so focus is
                                shifted to main-edit window and issue Ctrl+R again. Same (still selected
                                text) replace the current text with whatever is selected at the point
                                you issue the Ctrl+R.

                                Note: this works best with the TweakUI-Mouse-X-Mouse [x]-Activation
                                follows mouse (X-Mouse) on (I use an activation delay (ms)=1500).
                                Caution: don't use Autoraise except perhaps for experimentation. I've
                                never found a workable way to use that option (and I tried) - YMMV.

                                Without the X-Mouse option you will have to click in main edit window
                                and re-select desired text but still no need to actually close the
                                Replace dialog (AFAICT).

                                Also: if you Cntrl+C (copy) before Ctrl+R (replace) if it is already in
                                regexp mode, you have the "native" text available in the clipboard to
                                paste in the replace window if you realize that the translation it's
                                done was not what you wanted.

                                Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                                Message 15 of 15 , Jun 7, 2008
                                  "terencefrancisedwards" <tfed@...> said on Jun 05, 2008
                                  13:33 -0400 (in part):
                                  > Great help folks! Many thanks - it's got me started, which is exactly
                                  > what I wanted.
                                  >
                                  > I just wonder how many other simple jobs I could have done in a
                                  > fraction of the time - if I'd found the program earlier & learned some
                                  > of the basics??!!
                                  And if I'd invested in Microsoft when I first head of them in the early
                                  '80's I'd be living in on my own island in the Caribbean 8-)

                                  Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail