Re: [NTB] Re: Convert .otl to separate .txt files

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2008
      orkgandalf wrote:

      > Hi Gerard, thanks much for the directions. In fact, the second one
      > should fit my needs. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but i'm really trying to
      > extract the heading **and the contents**, being the heading the name
      > of the txt files. I can explain why: I use notetab to take all my
      > notes, meeting minutes, diary, and other bunch of things, but i'm
      > always worried with possibility of not having the ability to use the
      > tool, say, 20 years from now and thus, not able to work with my notes.
      > This is the main reason I moved out of Lotus Notes to txt files and
      > then, decided to bet on notetab because of the outlines.
      >
      > But from time to time, I've got in doubt again and think that the
      > safest way is to keep all my notes in single txt files. Then I wanted
      > to get a script in advance, so i could revert my outlines to single
      > txt files. Thinking again, i realized that if notetab will not be
      > compatible with the Windows 2028, i will possibly be able to read the
      > .otl file in txt format, and then, use something to revert them back.

      If you are worried about your texts' becoming unreadable in time,
      editors like NTB are the best way to go.
      They store their files as plain text files, and I would think that the
      chances are slim that this type of file, I mean this way of storing
      plain text, will change fundamentally.

      An outline is just one text file too, that presents itself in a special
      way inside NTB. You can open these .otl files in any editor, but they
      will be just one long file.

      For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
      "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
      outline again. In a jiffy.

      Cheers,
      Gerard

      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2008
        Gerard Huijing wrote:

        > For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
        > "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
        > outline again. In a jiffy.

        EDIT: I am sorry, I am giving you the wrong information.

        The existing clip that extracts your outlines, gives the separate files
        neutral names, something like text1, text2 etc.

        If you use the clip from the DirStuff library it will create an outline
        from separate files with the file names as headings (so the headings
        will become text1, text2 etc., not the originals).

        Therefore you will have to rename the extracted files by hand.
        Or create separate files to begin with, before you make the outline.
        Or ask on the clips list if the existing clip for extraction can be
        modified.
        Or try to do it yourself :-)

        Sorry about that, I realised this snag just after I posted the previous
        message.

        Gerard
        --
        Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing