Re: [NTB] Convert .otl to separate .txt files

  • Gerard Huijing
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2008
      orkgandalf wrote:

      > Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
      > one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
      > the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
      > discussed here around. Hope you can help.
      >
      > Appreciate
      >
      > Ork

      I find it difficult to imagine why you should wish to extract headings
      of an outline (just descriptive names, at least mine are ;-)), and store
      them in separate files, but that is your call.

      I know of two clips that come near to what you want.

      One is in the clip library "Outline", written by the late Jody Adair.
      You can find this library via the NTB website.
      The clip copies the headings of an outline to clipboard. All you have to
      do is paste and save. But that is one file.

      The other is a clip that you will find in the archives of the clips
      message board. I believe it was written by Sheri, but I am not sure.
      This clip extracts the headings *plus contents* of an outline to
      separate *.txt files.

      You could have a look and see if you can edit both or either of them to
      suit your needs.
      But, as mentioned in the previous post, this is definitely something for
      the clips list.

      Good luck,
      Gerard

      --
      Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
      2312 ZD Leiden
      Message 2 of 6 , May 30, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

        > orkgandalf wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
        > > one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
        > > the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
        > > discussed here around. Hope you can help.
        > >
        > > Appreciate
        > >
        > > Ork
        >
        > I find it difficult to imagine why you should wish to extract headings
        > of an outline (just descriptive names, at least mine are ;-)), and
        store
        > them in separate files, but that is your call.
        >
        > I know of two clips that come near to what you want.
        >
        > One is in the clip library "Outline", written by the late Jody Adair.
        > You can find this library via the NTB website.
        > The clip copies the headings of an outline to clipboard. All you
        have to
        > do is paste and save. But that is one file.
        >
        > The other is a clip that you will find in the archives of the clips
        > message board. I believe it was written by Sheri, but I am not sure.
        > This clip extracts the headings *plus contents* of an outline to
        > separate *.txt files.
        >
        > You could have a look and see if you can edit both or either of them to
        > suit your needs.
        > But, as mentioned in the previous post, this is definitely something
        for
        > the clips list.
        >
        > Good luck,
        > Gerard
        >

        > --
        > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
        > 2312 ZD Leiden
        > Netherlands
        > inboxgen@...

        Hi Gerard, thanks much for the directions. In fact, the second one
        should fit my needs. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but i'm really trying to
        extract the heading **and the contents**, being the heading the name
        of the txt files. I can explain why: I use notetab to take all my
        notes, meeting minutes, diary, and other bunch of things, but i'm
        always worried with possibility of not having the ability to use the
        tool, say, 20 years from now and thus, not able to work with my notes.
        This is the main reason I moved out of Lotus Notes to txt files and
        then, decided to bet on notetab because of the outlines.

        But from time to time, I've got in doubt again and think that the
        safest way is to keep all my notes in single txt files. Then I wanted
        to get a script in advance, so i could revert my outlines to single
        txt files. Thinking again, i realized that if notetab will not be
        compatible with the Windows 2028, i will possibly be able to read the
        .otl file in txt format, and then, use something to revert them back.

        And having the notes in separate txt files, i could also use the
        DarkRoom to edit and take advantage of its wonderful fullscreen ("only
        you and your text") feature plus the ability to use ctrl+mousewheel to
        enlarge the font, which are not available in Notetab.

        I wonder if you also have this kind of existential doubts sometimes.
        Let me know.

        I'll check those clips.

        Thanks,

        Ork
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2008
          orkgandalf wrote:

          > Hi Gerard, thanks much for the directions. In fact, the second one
          > should fit my needs. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but i'm really trying to
          > extract the heading **and the contents**, being the heading the name
          > of the txt files. I can explain why: I use notetab to take all my
          > notes, meeting minutes, diary, and other bunch of things, but i'm
          > always worried with possibility of not having the ability to use the
          > tool, say, 20 years from now and thus, not able to work with my notes.
          > This is the main reason I moved out of Lotus Notes to txt files and
          > then, decided to bet on notetab because of the outlines.
          >
          > But from time to time, I've got in doubt again and think that the
          > safest way is to keep all my notes in single txt files. Then I wanted
          > to get a script in advance, so i could revert my outlines to single
          > txt files. Thinking again, i realized that if notetab will not be
          > compatible with the Windows 2028, i will possibly be able to read the
          > .otl file in txt format, and then, use something to revert them back.

          If you are worried about your texts' becoming unreadable in time,
          editors like NTB are the best way to go.
          They store their files as plain text files, and I would think that the
          chances are slim that this type of file, I mean this way of storing
          plain text, will change fundamentally.

          An outline is just one text file too, that presents itself in a special
          way inside NTB. You can open these .otl files in any editor, but they
          will be just one long file.

          For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
          "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
          outline again. In a jiffy.

          Cheers,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2008
            Gerard Huijing wrote:

            > For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
            > "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
            > outline again. In a jiffy.

            EDIT: I am sorry, I am giving you the wrong information.

            The existing clip that extracts your outlines, gives the separate files
            neutral names, something like text1, text2 etc.

            If you use the clip from the DirStuff library it will create an outline
            from separate files with the file names as headings (so the headings
            will become text1, text2 etc., not the originals).

            Therefore you will have to rename the extracted files by hand.
            Or create separate files to begin with, before you make the outline.
            Or ask on the clips list if the existing clip for extraction can be
            modified.
            Or try to do it yourself :-)

            Sorry about that, I realised this snag just after I posted the previous
            message.

            Gerard
            --
            Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing