Convert .otl to separate .txt files

  • orkgandalf
    Message 1 of 6 , May 28, 2008
      Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
      one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
      the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
      discussed here around. Hope you can help.

      Appreciate

      Ork
    • John Zeman
      Message 2 of 6 , May 29, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "orkgandalf" <orkgandalf@...> wrote:

        > Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
        > one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
        > the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
        > discussed here around. Hope you can help.
        >
        > Appreciate
        >
        > Ork

        You could probably do this with a clip so you might try asking this
        question over on the clips forum at:

        John
      • Gerard Huijing
        Message 3 of 6 , May 30, 2008
          orkgandalf wrote:

          > Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
          > one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
          > the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
          > discussed here around. Hope you can help.
          >
          > Appreciate
          >
          > Ork

          I find it difficult to imagine why you should wish to extract headings
          of an outline (just descriptive names, at least mine are ;-)), and store
          them in separate files, but that is your call.

          I know of two clips that come near to what you want.

          One is in the clip library "Outline", written by the late Jody Adair.
          You can find this library via the NTB website.
          The clip copies the headings of an outline to clipboard. All you have to
          do is paste and save. But that is one file.

          The other is a clip that you will find in the archives of the clips
          message board. I believe it was written by Sheri, but I am not sure.
          This clip extracts the headings *plus contents* of an outline to
          separate *.txt files.

          You could have a look and see if you can edit both or either of them to
          suit your needs.
          But, as mentioned in the previous post, this is definitely something for
          the clips list.

          Good luck,
          Gerard

          --
          Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
          2312 ZD Leiden
          Message 4 of 6 , May 30, 2008
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Gerard Huijing <inboxgen@...> wrote:

            > orkgandalf wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi there, i'm looking for an easy way to extract several headings from
            > > one .otl file into separate .txt files. I have the heading title as
            > > the first line of each document. Have we ever had anything being
            > > discussed here around. Hope you can help.
            > >
            > > Appreciate
            > >
            > > Ork
            >
            > I find it difficult to imagine why you should wish to extract headings
            > of an outline (just descriptive names, at least mine are ;-)), and
            store
            > them in separate files, but that is your call.
            >
            > I know of two clips that come near to what you want.
            >
            > One is in the clip library "Outline", written by the late Jody Adair.
            > You can find this library via the NTB website.
            > The clip copies the headings of an outline to clipboard. All you
            have to
            > do is paste and save. But that is one file.
            >
            > The other is a clip that you will find in the archives of the clips
            > message board. I believe it was written by Sheri, but I am not sure.
            > This clip extracts the headings *plus contents* of an outline to
            > separate *.txt files.
            >
            > You could have a look and see if you can edit both or either of them to
            > suit your needs.
            > But, as mentioned in the previous post, this is definitely something
            for
            > the clips list.
            >
            > Good luck,
            > Gerard
            >

            > --
            > Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
            > 2312 ZD Leiden
            > Netherlands
            > inboxgen@...

            Hi Gerard, thanks much for the directions. In fact, the second one
            should fit my needs. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but i'm really trying to
            extract the heading **and the contents**, being the heading the name
            of the txt files. I can explain why: I use notetab to take all my
            notes, meeting minutes, diary, and other bunch of things, but i'm
            always worried with possibility of not having the ability to use the
            tool, say, 20 years from now and thus, not able to work with my notes.
            This is the main reason I moved out of Lotus Notes to txt files and
            then, decided to bet on notetab because of the outlines.

            But from time to time, I've got in doubt again and think that the
            safest way is to keep all my notes in single txt files. Then I wanted
            to get a script in advance, so i could revert my outlines to single
            txt files. Thinking again, i realized that if notetab will not be
            compatible with the Windows 2028, i will possibly be able to read the
            .otl file in txt format, and then, use something to revert them back.

            And having the notes in separate txt files, i could also use the
            DarkRoom to edit and take advantage of its wonderful fullscreen ("only
            you and your text") feature plus the ability to use ctrl+mousewheel to
            enlarge the font, which are not available in Notetab.

            I wonder if you also have this kind of existential doubts sometimes.
            Let me know.

            I'll check those clips.

            Thanks,

            Ork
          • Gerard Huijing
            Message 5 of 6 , May 30, 2008
              orkgandalf wrote:

              > Hi Gerard, thanks much for the directions. In fact, the second one
              > should fit my needs. I'm sorry I wasn't clear but i'm really trying to
              > extract the heading **and the contents**, being the heading the name
              > of the txt files. I can explain why: I use notetab to take all my
              > notes, meeting minutes, diary, and other bunch of things, but i'm
              > always worried with possibility of not having the ability to use the
              > tool, say, 20 years from now and thus, not able to work with my notes.
              > This is the main reason I moved out of Lotus Notes to txt files and
              > then, decided to bet on notetab because of the outlines.
              >
              > But from time to time, I've got in doubt again and think that the
              > safest way is to keep all my notes in single txt files. Then I wanted
              > to get a script in advance, so i could revert my outlines to single
              > txt files. Thinking again, i realized that if notetab will not be
              > compatible with the Windows 2028, i will possibly be able to read the
              > .otl file in txt format, and then, use something to revert them back.

              If you are worried about your texts' becoming unreadable in time,
              editors like NTB are the best way to go.
              They store their files as plain text files, and I would think that the
              chances are slim that this type of file, I mean this way of storing
              plain text, will change fundamentally.

              An outline is just one text file too, that presents itself in a special
              way inside NTB. You can open these .otl files in any editor, but they
              will be just one long file.

              For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
              "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
              outline again. In a jiffy.

              Cheers,
              Gerard

              --
              Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
              2312 ZD Leiden
              Message 6 of 6 , May 30, 2008
                Gerard Huijing wrote:

                > For your convenience: in another of Jody Adair's clip libraries, called
                > "DirStuff", you will find a clip that converts your separate texts to an
                > outline again. In a jiffy.

                EDIT: I am sorry, I am giving you the wrong information.

                The existing clip that extracts your outlines, gives the separate files
                neutral names, something like text1, text2 etc.

                If you use the clip from the DirStuff library it will create an outline
                from separate files with the file names as headings (so the headings
                will become text1, text2 etc., not the originals).

                Therefore you will have to rename the extracted files by hand.
                Or create separate files to begin with, before you make the outline.
                Or ask on the clips list if the existing clip for extraction can be
                modified.
                Or try to do it yourself :-)

                Sorry about that, I realised this snag just after I posted the previous
                message.

                Gerard
                --
                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing