Re: [NTB] What's the best and fastest way to create links to external files

  • loro
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2008
      orkgandalf wrote:
      >When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
      >file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
      >notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
      >picture to link?

      You could use Document | Insert HTML link/image. You may have to
      change its output to fit your needs. I think it inserts an HTML link
      or IMG tag by default. You find fields for that that in Options, the
      Internet tab.

      Lotta
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2008
        Hi
        Have a look at the readme.otl under hyperlinks it will start you off .
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
        > file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
        > notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
        > picture to link?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Ork

      • orkgandalf
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > orkgandalf wrote:
          > >When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
          > >file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
          > >notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
          > >picture to link?
          >
          > You could use Document | Insert HTML link/image. You may have to
          > change its output to fit your needs. I think it inserts an HTML link
          > or IMG tag by default. You find fields for that that in Options, the
          > Internet tab.
          >
          > Lotta

          Thanks Lotta, yes it's working when you use the CTRL+SHIFT+F5 to
          insert a link it opens the dialog for you to select the file in the
          file system. The only trick is that i had to insert a "file://" before
          the file path for notetab to use my default browser to open the file
          (that's what i wanted). If the link points to a .txt, it's fine to
          open in notetab, but if it's a .doc, .jpg, etc, i need it to use the
          appropriate program to open it.
          That said, i believe this is the easiest and fastest way. Now i just
          need a procedure to ensure the linked files will always be available,
          but this is another history.
          Thanks much.
          Ork
        • orkgandalf
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2008
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

            > Hi
            > Have a look at the readme.otl under hyperlinks it will start you off .
            > THANKYOU DAVE M

            Thanks Dave, in fact, i had already read those instructions but it was
            missing the need to insert "file://" to open external files.
            Appreciate.
            Ork
          • M. Sean Fosmire
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3 3:23 PM
              Beware, though. Using a NoteTab link opens the external file <B>in
              NoteTab</B>, regardless of the file extension. Usually that is not the
              desired behavior.