What's the best and fastest way to create links to external files

  • orkgandalf
    Message 1 of 6 , May 7, 2008
      When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
      file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
      notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
      picture to link?

      Thanks,

      Ork
    • loro
      Message 2 of 6 , May 7, 2008
        orkgandalf wrote:
        >When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
        >file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
        >notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
        >picture to link?

        You could use Document | Insert HTML link/image. You may have to
        change its output to fit your needs. I think it inserts an HTML link
        or IMG tag by default. You find fields for that that in Options, the
        Internet tab.

        Lotta
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 6 , May 7, 2008
          Hi
          Have a look at the readme.otl under hyperlinks it will start you off .
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
          > file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
          > notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
          > picture to link?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Ork

        • orkgandalf
          Message 4 of 6 , May 7, 2008
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

            > orkgandalf wrote:
            > >When writing a simple text, suddenly you need to create a link to a
            > >file or to a picture located in another folder. How can you do that in
            > >notetab? I know you can use the [] but how you select the file or
            > >picture to link?
            >
            > You could use Document | Insert HTML link/image. You may have to
            > change its output to fit your needs. I think it inserts an HTML link
            > or IMG tag by default. You find fields for that that in Options, the
            > Internet tab.
            >
            > Lotta

            Thanks Lotta, yes it's working when you use the CTRL+SHIFT+F5 to
            insert a link it opens the dialog for you to select the file in the
            file system. The only trick is that i had to insert a "file://" before
            the file path for notetab to use my default browser to open the file
            (that's what i wanted). If the link points to a .txt, it's fine to
            open in notetab, but if it's a .doc, .jpg, etc, i need it to use the
            appropriate program to open it.
            That said, i believe this is the easiest and fastest way. Now i just
            need a procedure to ensure the linked files will always be available,
            but this is another history.
            Thanks much.
            Ork
          • orkgandalf
            Message 5 of 6 , May 7, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

              > Hi
              > Have a look at the readme.otl under hyperlinks it will start you off .
              > THANKYOU DAVE M

              Thanks Dave, in fact, i had already read those instructions but it was
              missing the need to insert "file://" to open external files.
              Appreciate.
              Ork
            • M. Sean Fosmire
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
                Beware, though. Using a NoteTab link opens the external file <B>in
                NoteTab</B>, regardless of the file extension. Usually that is not the
                desired behavior.