Re: [NTB] I've done it again

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23, 2008
      "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> said on Apr 23, 2008 11:50 -0400
      (in part):
      > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
      > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
      > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
      >
      > á: in place of ä and so forth.
      >
      > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?
      >
      > That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.
      Bruce: Advice for next time ...
      Options - Files - Backup Type: choose "Incremental" from dropdown.
      When you save "NoName01.txt" repetitively previous versions are saved as:

      * ~NoName01[001].txt
      * ~NoName01[002].txt

      seems excessive but when you REALLY need it recovery is trivial. With
      the prefixed tilda they sort high and out of the way. Every once in a
      while just delete all files older than 'n' days and matching "~*.*"

      OFFTOPIC - anyone here remember when DEC and VAX/VMS did this
      automatically appending ";nn" at the OS file system level and allowing
      number of backups kept to be set for all or individual files?

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • bruce.somers
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
        I recently had a vertical, alphabetized list of open files appear at the right of my NoteTab window, without my conscious participation.

        That list has now disappeared, again without my intention. I'd like to retrieve it.

        I thought I might find something in the Help under 'File list' or 'Keyboad command'. No such luck.

        Can anyone help? How do I toggle that option? Many thanks.

        Bruce
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
          F6 should do it.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
            Hi Bruce - F6 toggles the Quick List (its in the keyboard shortcuts but
            if the title Quick List doesn't ring a bell I can see it would be hard
            to figure out what it was.
            Also - look up Quick List in Help-Index and from menu Tools-Quick List
            to trigger if you forget the shortcut.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
              Thanks Alec and John. It's indeed possible that I had inadvertantly hit F6.

              But now, things have taken an unexpected turn! That list is actually visible to the right of the scrollbar, but only the first letter of each entry. I tried closing and reinvoking NoteTab, with no change!

              Bruce

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                  If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?

                  I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                  If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                  I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                  of them.
                  (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                  Thanks.

                  John Wallace

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                    After all these years of using NoteTab, here comes something new. How cool is that!!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                      I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.

                      I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                      Bruce

                      Gesendet: Freitag, 08. März 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                      Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                      An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                      Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options

                      Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                      Regards,
                      John
                    • Margaret Peloquin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Unless I am mistaken, you can reset the color of your tabs under the
                        Options.

                        On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM, <bruce.somers@...> wrote:

                        > **
                        >

                        > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column
                        > file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.
                        >
                        > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab,
                        > and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because
                        > it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white
                        > background vs. gray background).
                        >
                        > Bruce
                        >
                        > Gesendet: Freitag, 08. M�rz 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                        > Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                        > An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                        > Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options
                        >

                        > Grab the edge of the window and drag it.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > John

                      • Alec Burgess
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                          @John:
                          If you right click on the Quick List you can select Favorites
                          On Menu-Favorites you can select Add all documents to Favorites. Do this
                          after getting the files you want to open as a group all open.
                          - note you can set up a special favorites group for this and (if
                          desired) change the current favorites from the dropdown at top of Quick
                          List and also [Open All] from this list.

                          On 2013-03-08 14:36, John Wallace wrote:
                          > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                          >
                          > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2
                          > instances open.
                          > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                          >
                          > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are
                          > scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                          > of them.
                          > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                          @Bruce: sounds weird. When you hover the left (inside) edge of the Quick
                          List do you see the cursor change to indicate its able to perform the
                          splitter move? How about on the Clips list on the right side (F4 to
                          toggle if you don't use it or have it displayed)

                          Looking in my Notepro.ini I see this Quick List section:

                          [QuickList]
                          ShowQuickList=1
                          ShowFullNames=0
                          PanelWidth=62
                          TypeList=0
                          BackColor=-16777211
                          Font=MS Sans Serif;8;;-16777208;0

                          What is your PanelWidth? If less than 62 I suggest closing Notetab then
                          edit Notepro.ini to increase that value in (say) Notepad, then reopen
                          Notetab. Does this make a difference?

                          On 2013-03-08 16:37, bruce.somers@... wrote:
                          > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the
                          > 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of
                          > the window.
                          >
                          > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked
                          > NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that
                          > QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the
                          > text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                        • Fookes Software
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 27, 2013
                            Hi John,

                            > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                            > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                            Note that you can use a different settings file for each instance of
                            NoteTab which may help with this problem. You can specify a different
                            settings file by running NoteTab with the /INI switch. (You can also
                            specify a different location for all customization files with the
                            /USER switch.) Please see Reference Information > Other Features >
                            Command-line Parameters, in the help file for more information.

                            Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
                            http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/

                            On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:
                            > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                            >
                            > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                            > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                            >
                            > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                            > of them.
                            > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)
                            >
                            > Thanks.
                            >
                            > John Wallace
                            >
                            > _____

                          • John Wallace