Re: I've done it again

  • ebbtidalflats
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> wrote:

      > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
      > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
      > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
      >
      > á: in place of ä and so forth.
      >
      > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?

      If your document is not an HTML document, try this on a COPY of your
      document:

      SHIFT+CTRL+T

      Chances are, the key combination you accidentally used was

      SHIFT+CTRL+H

      If you accidentally hit this a lot, and don't ever want to convert
      characters to HTML, then you can "reprogram" this combination to do
      something innocuous, like opening a dialog box, like a menu. That may
      cure you of those particular keys.

      See NoteTab Help --> Reference Information --> Other Features -->
      Changing Keyboard Shortcuts.

      Cheers,

      Eb
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23, 2008
        "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> said on Apr 23, 2008 11:50 -0400
        (in part):
        > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
        > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
        > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
        >
        > á: in place of ä and so forth.
        >
        > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?
        >
        > That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.
        Bruce: Advice for next time ...
        Options - Files - Backup Type: choose "Incremental" from dropdown.
        When you save "NoName01.txt" repetitively previous versions are saved as:

        * ~NoName01[001].txt
        * ~NoName01[002].txt

        seems excessive but when you REALLY need it recovery is trivial. With
        the prefixed tilda they sort high and out of the way. Every once in a
        while just delete all files older than 'n' days and matching "~*.*"

        OFFTOPIC - anyone here remember when DEC and VAX/VMS did this
        automatically appending ";nn" at the OS file system level and allowing
        number of backups kept to be set for all or individual files?

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • bruce.somers
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
          I recently had a vertical, alphabetized list of open files appear at the right of my NoteTab window, without my conscious participation.

          That list has now disappeared, again without my intention. I'd like to retrieve it.

          I thought I might find something in the Help under 'File list' or 'Keyboad command'. No such luck.

          Can anyone help? How do I toggle that option? Many thanks.

          Bruce
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
            F6 should do it.

            Regards,
            John

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
              Hi Bruce - F6 toggles the Quick List (its in the keyboard shortcuts but
              if the title Quick List doesn't ring a bell I can see it would be hard
              to figure out what it was.
              Also - look up Quick List in Help-Index and from menu Tools-Quick List
              to trigger if you forget the shortcut.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                Thanks Alec and John. It's indeed possible that I had inadvertantly hit F6.

                But now, things have taken an unexpected turn! That list is actually visible to the right of the scrollbar, but only the first letter of each entry. I tried closing and reinvoking NoteTab, with no change!

                Bruce

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                    If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?

                    I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                    If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                    I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                    of them.
                    (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                    Thanks.

                    John Wallace

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                      After all these years of using NoteTab, here comes something new. How cool is that!!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                        I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.

                        I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                        Bruce

                        Gesendet: Freitag, 08. März 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                        Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                        An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                        Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options

                        Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                        Regards,
                        John
                      • Margaret Peloquin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                          Unless I am mistaken, you can reset the color of your tabs under the
                          Options.

                          On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM, <bruce.somers@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column
                          > file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.
                          >
                          > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab,
                          > and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because
                          > it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white
                          > background vs. gray background).
                          >
                          > Bruce
                          >
                          > Gesendet: Freitag, 08. M�rz 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                          > Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                          > An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                          > Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options
                          >

                          > Grab the edge of the window and drag it.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > John

                        • Alec Burgess
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                            @John:
                            If you right click on the Quick List you can select Favorites
                            On Menu-Favorites you can select Add all documents to Favorites. Do this
                            after getting the files you want to open as a group all open.
                            - note you can set up a special favorites group for this and (if
                            desired) change the current favorites from the dropdown at top of Quick
                            List and also [Open All] from this list.

                            On 2013-03-08 14:36, John Wallace wrote:
                            > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                            >
                            > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2
                            > instances open.
                            > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                            >
                            > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are
                            > scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                            > of them.
                            > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                            @Bruce: sounds weird. When you hover the left (inside) edge of the Quick
                            List do you see the cursor change to indicate its able to perform the
                            splitter move? How about on the Clips list on the right side (F4 to
                            toggle if you don't use it or have it displayed)

                            Looking in my Notepro.ini I see this Quick List section:

                            [QuickList]
                            ShowQuickList=1
                            ShowFullNames=0
                            PanelWidth=62
                            TypeList=0
                            BackColor=-16777211
                            Font=MS Sans Serif;8;;-16777208;0

                            What is your PanelWidth? If less than 62 I suggest closing Notetab then
                            edit Notepro.ini to increase that value in (say) Notepad, then reopen
                            Notetab. Does this make a difference?

                            On 2013-03-08 16:37, bruce.somers@... wrote:
                            > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the
                            > 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of
                            > the window.
                            >
                            > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked
                            > NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that
                            > QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the
                            > text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                          • Fookes Software
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 27, 2013
                              Hi John,

                              > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                              > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                              Note that you can use a different settings file for each instance of
                              NoteTab which may help with this problem. You can specify a different
                              settings file by running NoteTab with the /INI switch. (You can also
                              specify a different location for all customization files with the
                              /USER switch.) Please see Reference Information > Other Features >
                              Command-line Parameters, in the help file for more information.

                              Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
                              http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/

                              On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:
                              > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                              >
                              > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                              > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                              >
                              > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                              > of them.
                              > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)
                              >
                              > Thanks.
                              >
                              > John Wallace
                              >
                              > _____

                            • John Wallace