I've done it again

  • Bruce Somers
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 23 8:50 AM
      By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
      characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
      to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:

      á: in place of ä and so forth.

      I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?

      That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.

      Thanks for any assistance.

      Bruce Somers
    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 23 9:13 AM
        Interviewed by CNN on 23/4/2008 12:50, Bruce Somers told the world:
        > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
        > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
        > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
        >
        > á: in place of ä and so forth.
        >
        > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?
        >
        > That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.

        I suspect that you accidentally ran HTMLTidy. Tidy does this kind of
        conversion -- but it can convert it right back, too.

        You should either create or edit the tidy.cfg IN YOUR NOTETAB PROGRAM
        FOLDER, including the following lines:

        input-encoding: win1252
        output-encoding: win1252

        Then, run Tidy again in the problem file -- either by keying Ctrl+F7 or
        by the option in the "Tools" menu. It will convert the entities back to
        characters.

        However, a caveat: if you cannot be SURE that your webserver is set up
        correctly for Win1252 (or ISO-8859-1, or UTF-8 or whatever) you are
        probably better off publishing your HTML code in plain US-ASCII with
        entities.

        Even entities aren't 100% safe. Some of the named entities aren't
        widely supported; some common numeric entities are actually illegal.
        But Tidy can help you there too.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Back up my hard disk? I can't find the reverse switch!
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.9
      • ebbtidalflats
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 23 4:59 PM
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> wrote:

          > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
          > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
          > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
          >
          > á: in place of ä and so forth.
          >
          > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?

          If your document is not an HTML document, try this on a COPY of your
          document:

          SHIFT+CTRL+T

          Chances are, the key combination you accidentally used was

          SHIFT+CTRL+H

          If you accidentally hit this a lot, and don't ever want to convert
          characters to HTML, then you can "reprogram" this combination to do
          something innocuous, like opening a dialog box, like a menu. That may
          cure you of those particular keys.

          See NoteTab Help --> Reference Information --> Other Features -->
          Changing Keyboard Shortcuts.

          Cheers,

          Eb
        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 23 6:35 PM
            "Bruce Somers" <bruce.somers@...> said on Apr 23, 2008 11:50 -0400
            (in part):
            > By inadvertently typing some key combination, I have caused all
            > characters not contained in the terribly limited ASCII character set
            > to be replaced by the so-called HTML-entities:
            >
            > á: in place of ä and so forth.
            >
            > I hope I can reverse that as easily. Can someone help me?
            >
            > That this is done so easily by accident, is a nuisance, not a feature.
            Bruce: Advice for next time ...
            Options - Files - Backup Type: choose "Incremental" from dropdown.
            When you save "NoName01.txt" repetitively previous versions are saved as:

            * ~NoName01[001].txt
            * ~NoName01[002].txt

            seems excessive but when you REALLY need it recovery is trivial. With
            the prefixed tilda they sort high and out of the way. Every once in a
            while just delete all files older than 'n' days and matching "~*.*"

            OFFTOPIC - anyone here remember when DEC and VAX/VMS did this
            automatically appending ";nn" at the OS file system level and allowing
            number of backups kept to be set for all or individual files?

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • bruce.somers
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
              I recently had a vertical, alphabetized list of open files appear at the right of my NoteTab window, without my conscious participation.

              That list has now disappeared, again without my intention. I'd like to retrieve it.

              I thought I might find something in the Help under 'File list' or 'Keyboad command'. No such luck.

              Can anyone help? How do I toggle that option? Many thanks.

              Bruce
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                F6 should do it.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Hi Bruce - F6 toggles the Quick List (its in the keyboard shortcuts but
                  if the title Quick List doesn't ring a bell I can see it would be hard
                  to figure out what it was.
                  Also - look up Quick List in Help-Index and from menu Tools-Quick List
                  to trigger if you forget the shortcut.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Thanks Alec and John. It's indeed possible that I had inadvertantly hit F6.

                    But now, things have taken an unexpected turn! That list is actually visible to the right of the scrollbar, but only the first letter of each entry. I tried closing and reinvoking NoteTab, with no change!

                    Bruce

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                        If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?

                        I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                        If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                        I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                        of them.
                        (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                        Thanks.

                        John Wallace

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                          After all these years of using NoteTab, here comes something new. How cool is that!!

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                            I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.

                            I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                            Bruce

                            Gesendet: Freitag, 08. März 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                            Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                            An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                            Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options

                            Grab the edge of the window and drag it.

                            Regards,
                            John
                          • Margaret Peloquin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Unless I am mistaken, you can reset the color of your tabs under the
                              Options.

                              On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 3:37 PM, <bruce.somers@...> wrote:

                              > **
                              >

                              > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the 'single-column
                              > file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of the window.
                              >
                              > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked NoteTab,
                              > and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that QuickList because
                              > it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the text on the tabs (white
                              > background vs. gray background).
                              >
                              > Bruce
                              >
                              > Gesendet: Freitag, 08. M�rz 2013 um 18:43 Uhr
                              > Von: "John Shotsky" <jshotsky@...>
                              > An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                              > Betreff: RE: Re: [NTB] Unintended change of options
                              >

                              > Grab the edge of the window and drag it.
                              >
                              > Regards,
                              > John

                            • Alec Burgess
                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 8, 2013
                                @John:
                                If you right click on the Quick List you can select Favorites
                                On Menu-Favorites you can select Add all documents to Favorites. Do this
                                after getting the files you want to open as a group all open.
                                - note you can set up a special favorites group for this and (if
                                desired) change the current favorites from the dropdown at top of Quick
                                List and also [Open All] from this list.

                                On 2013-03-08 14:36, John Wallace wrote:
                                > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                                >
                                > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2
                                > instances open.
                                > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                                >
                                > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are
                                > scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                                > of them.
                                > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)

                                @Bruce: sounds weird. When you hover the left (inside) edge of the Quick
                                List do you see the cursor change to indicate its able to perform the
                                splitter move? How about on the Clips list on the right side (F4 to
                                toggle if you don't use it or have it displayed)

                                Looking in my Notepro.ini I see this Quick List section:

                                [QuickList]
                                ShowQuickList=1
                                ShowFullNames=0
                                PanelWidth=62
                                TypeList=0
                                BackColor=-16777211
                                Font=MS Sans Serif;8;;-16777208;0

                                What is your PanelWidth? If less than 62 I suggest closing Notetab then
                                edit Notepro.ini to increase that value in (say) Notepad, then reopen
                                Notetab. Does this make a difference?

                                On 2013-03-08 16:37, bruce.somers@... wrote:
                                > I can resize the window that way, but the scrollbar and the
                                > 'single-column file list' are unnaffected. They move with the edge of
                                > the window.
                                >
                                > I then removed the list and closed NoteTab. Then I again invoked
                                > NoteTab, and had it make a new list (F6). No change. I like that
                                > QuickList because it is alphabetized and easier to read than is the
                                > text on the tabs (white background vs. gray background).

                              • Fookes Software
                                Message 15 of 16 , Mar 27, 2013
                                  Hi John,

                                  > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                                  > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.

                                  Note that you can use a different settings file for each instance of
                                  NoteTab which may help with this problem. You can specify a different
                                  settings file by running NoteTab with the /INI switch. (You can also
                                  specify a different location for all customization files with the
                                  /USER switch.) Please see Reference Information > Other Features >
                                  Command-line Parameters, in the help file for more information.

                                  Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk
                                  http://www.fookes.com/ and http://www.aid4mail.com/

                                  On Fri, Mar 8, 2013 at 8:36 PM, John Wallace <johnta1@...> wrote:
                                  > If I can latch onto this thread, is there a way to save that list?
                                  >
                                  > I've had the list of files disappear when for example there are 2 instances open.
                                  > If the last one closed doesn't have the list up, you lose the list.
                                  >
                                  > I usually use the list for the files I work on all the time. They are scattered over many directories so it's hard to 're-open' all
                                  > of them.
                                  > (or sometimes to even remember what they were)
                                  >
                                  > Thanks.
                                  >
                                  > John Wallace
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                • John Wallace