Regular Expressions Search

  • Murilo Rodrigues
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
      Hi,

      How I can create a regular expression to find the following.
      I have the following text in one file for example:

      .the dog
      .cat over..
      .dog eat flash

      .The cat jumps over the dog (I need find ONLY here!)
      .bla
      .bla bla
      .bla bla bla...

      I whant create a regular expression using PCRE to search "cat" and "dog"
      in the same paragraph on NoteTab.

      I already use "(cat|dog)" but does not work as I like, this works
      finding cat and dog but not in same paragraph or same line.

      Anybody can help me?

      Thanks, Murilo
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        Murilo Rodrigues wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > How I can create a regular expression to find the following.
        > I have the following text in one file for example:
        >
        > .the dog
        > .cat over..
        > .dog eat flash
        >
        > .The cat jumps over the dog (I need find ONLY here!)
        > .bla
        > .bla bla
        > .bla bla bla...
        >
        > I whant create a regular expression using PCRE to search "cat" and "dog"
        > in the same paragraph on NoteTab.
        >
        > I already use "(cat|dog)" but does not work as I like, this works
        > finding cat and dog but not in same paragraph or same line.
        >
        > Anybody can help me?
        >
        > Thanks, Murilo

        This is close I think:
        .*( cat .* dog |dog .* cat ).*

        You may need to start it with a ^ and finish it with a \r\n thus:
        ^.*(cat .* dog |dog .* cat ).*\r\n

        They can appear in either order. Spaces are literal.
        You may also want to address case.
      • Murilo Rodrigues
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
          Hi,

          Really works very very well, thank you so much!!!.

          One final question please, where I can learn about creating regular expressions rules?, I say - doc files, pdf, links etc?

          Regards, Murilo

        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
            "Murilo Rodrigues" <mrod@...> said on Apr 02, 2008 19:11 -0400 (in
            part):

            > Really works very very well, thank you so much!!!.
            >
            > One final question please, where I can learn about creating regular
            > expressions rules?, I say - doc files, pdf, links etc?
            There are almost too many resources :-)
            For a start try googling (w/o) quotes "regular expressions tutorial"
            or "regular expressions tutorial PCRE" (PCRE=Perl Compatible Regular
            Expressions is the flavor of regular expressions that Notetab 5 supports)

            wikipedia is frequently a good starting place so ...
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCRE or
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_Expressions
            Note: the bottom of wikipedia articles usually includes links to
            external references that can be helpful.

            If you have questions about what you find there is frequent discussion
            of regular expressions on the Notetab clips list:

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • Murilo Rodrigues
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
              Thank you very much, I will see with calm!