Regular expressions wopn't replace

  • Vance E. Neff
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008
      Hello,

      I apologize that I'm still using NoteTab Pro version 4.95, but I haven't
      upgraded because I did not want to go back and modify all the clips that
      I have written.

      In many of my HTML documents I have the sequence:
      <dummytagx ...>...</dummytagx>
      so that I could have sections of code available if I wanted to activate
      them later. These usually spans several lines.
      Now I want to simply delete them all.
      When using the Find and Replace dialog, I have entered:
      <dummytagx \a*</dummytagx>
      into the 'Reg. Expr.:' spot, and nothing in the 'Replace: with:' spot.
      I have 'Regular Exp.' checked.
      Two problems:
      1) It seems to select from the 1st occurrence of '<dummytagx ' to the
      last occurrence of '</dummytagx>', instead of the next occurrence.
      2) The Replace option is grayed out.
      When I check 'All Documents', NoteTab just terminates.

      I'm guessing the first problem has to do with the 'greedy' nature of
      Regular expressions. I never understood what everyone meant by that.

      Thanks for any input!
      Vance
    • lm_hamilton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21, 2008
        Most of my clips did not require any re-working. The ones that did was
        very minor.

        One thing you can do is get version 5 and install it to a separate
        directory, as recommended. Then you can put your 4.95 capable clips in
        5.x and try them. Make note of which have issues, and then ask for
        help on the clips list. This way you can fix one clip at a time as it
        is convenient rather than have a sudden need of a monster clip fixing
        session.

        You could even get NoteTab Light 5.x to start the process if you did
        not want to pay the upgrade price until you had it all working.

        For your RegEx question, it is probably better to ask on the Clips list.

        Larry Hamilton

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Vance E. Neff" <veneff@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I apologize that I'm still using NoteTab Pro version 4.95, but I
        haven't
        > upgraded because I did not want to go back and modify all the clips
        that
        > I have written.
      • Dave
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 22, 2008
          Hi
          Not quite shore what you mean but what you have now is selecting everything
          between both tags, put what you want in the find box "<dummytagx" and click
          next un-check regex. and replace at will.
          THANKYOU DAVE M