Strange New Problem with Open and Save Dialogs

  • djust
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 3 10:37 PM
      Good morning!

      I am running NTB4.95 on WinXP Pro, and have been running NTB for many years without this problem occuring. I'm running NTB in its default state of using the .ini to store user data, and not the registry.

      The nuisance started suddenly, about 2 days ago. When I do anything in NTB which opens a Windows Open or Save dialog, the files are displayed in the dialog box without any extensions. As far as I can tell, the problem exists only in NTB; dialog boxes in IrfanView and Firefox display the file names normally.

      How do I fix this?

      Thanks.
      David.
    • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 4 5:57 AM
        djust wrote:
        > Good morning!
        >
        > I am running NTB4.95 on WinXP Pro, and have been running NTB for many years without this problem occuring. I'm running NTB in its default state of using the .ini to store user data, and not the registry.
        >
        > The nuisance started suddenly, about 2 days ago. When I do anything in NTB which opens a Windows Open or Save dialog, the files are displayed in the dialog box without any extensions. As far as I can tell, the problem exists only in NTB; dialog boxes in IrfanView and Firefox display the file names normally.
        >
        > How do I fix this?
        >
        > Thanks.
        > David.

        Do file/open and to the right top is a little drop down in the dialog
        box for list/details/thumbnails ... what have you selected and try
        selecting details.

        Then try start/control panel/folder options/view tab and see if hide
        extensions for known file types is checked or unchecked.
      • djust
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 4 8:33 AM
          > Then try start/control panel/folder options/view tab and see if hide
          > extensions for known file types is checked or unchecked.

          Fixed!

          It was a problem with the known file types setting, though a slightly strange one. I forgot to say that I don't run NTB directly from my limited user account; I use a runas to run it from my administrator account (so I can use it to change any file). The suddenly changed known file types setting was not displayed either in my user account or my admin account, but only when viewing the folder view settings from a runas in the exact same way.

          Thanks a lot!
          David.