Re: [NTB] Help for learner and setting UTF-8

  • tonychun9
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 14, 2008
      I'd like to share a recent experience I had while working with an XML
      editor and NoteTab Pro. The XML Editor provided a symbol library so I
      could work natively with characters like: ≥ ≤ μ Ω π ± √ Σ Θ. I assume
      it converted them to entities encoded in the UTF-8 character set.

      When I opened the resultant XML files in NoteTab Pro, I found that the
      symbol characters were converted to letters. Theta (Θ) became T. Sigma
      (Σ) became S. And so on. However, when I opened the XML file in
      Notepad++, the symbols were preserved. Though I have no way of testing
      whether they were converted to entities.

      This was terrible news because I've used NoteTab Light since 1995 and
      bought NoteTab Pro in 2004 because the autoreplace, clipboard
      replacement, and macro features make it my editor of choice.

      So, the bottom line is to use different tools for different tasks. No
      one size fits all. And I can still use NoteTab's clipboard replace
      feature while I work with any application.

      I look forward to seeing the wish list for NoteTab 6.

      Cheers,

      -Tony