Re: [NTB] Search and replace query.

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
      John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 20:30
      -0500 (in part):
      > In other words, find the words without "i", replace them with nothing,
      > and delete the empty line ? Leaving behind the list of words/lines
      > containing "i" without spaces ?
      Off-hand I can't think of how to do it in NTB4.95 as a one-liner (nor
      for that matter in NTB5) but you can clear all the empty lines by
      replacing "\n\n+" by "\n".

      In a clip it would be this two-liner:
      ^!replace "^[^i]+$ >> "" rwais
      ^!replace "\n\n+" >> "\n" rwais

      Note: any more discussion should go to the clips list :-) and do
      consider getting NTB5 if only for the improved regular expression syntax.

      > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:52:49 -0500, buralex@... wrote:
      >

      >> > John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 19:11
      >> >-0500 (in part):
      >>

      > Hi Alex,

      > Actually the letter was "i" but it was the general syntax I was
      > wanting.

      >> >not sure what you thought the ampersands (@) would do, but circumflex
      >> >before a character in a character class says:
      >> >any character except it ie. [^a] matches NOT "a"
      >> >so ^[^a]+$ matches ... beginning at char 1 a string of NOT a's through
      >> >the end of line ($)
      >>

      > Wow ! Excellent. Thanks for the very speedy/accurate reply, it is very
      > much appreciated. :-) :-) :-)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Ben B
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
        On 2008-02-03 05:30:21 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

        > Using your ^[^i]+$ replaced with nothing got me......
        >
        > pinite
        > taipei
        > tiepin
        >

        > inapt
        > inept
        > ionia
        >

        > patio
        >
        > Is there any way I can adapt that to get....
        >
        > pinite
        > taipei
        > tiepin
        > inapt
        > inept
        > ionia

        ^[^i]+\R

        HTH
        Ben
      • John Fitzsimons
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
          On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:11:31 -0800, Ben B wrote:

          >On 2008-02-03 05:30:21 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

          Hi Ben,

          >> Using your ^[^i]+$ replaced with nothing got me......

          >> pinite
          >> taipei
          >> tiepin
          >>

          >> inapt
          >> inept
          >> ionia
          >>

          >> patio

          >> Is there any way I can adapt that to get....

          >> pinite
          >> taipei
          >> tiepin
          >> inapt
          >> inept
          >> ionia
          >
          >^[^i]+\R

          That looks very encouraging BUT it doesn't appear to work here. Maybe
          it is because I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 ?

          ^[^i]+\n

          ALMOST works though. :-(

          Thank you for your help. Perhaps someone else can work out something
          from your/Alec's contributions ?

          Regards, John.
        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2008
            On 2008-02-03 07:28:54 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

            > >^[^i]+\R
            >
            > That looks very encouraging BUT it doesn't appear to work here. Maybe
            > it is because I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 ?

            Yeah, I think so. Sorry, I missed that.

            > ^[^i]+\n
            >
            > ALMOST works though. :-(

            Hmm. Looks like it ought to. But I no longer have 4.95 installed to
            experiment with.

            Ben