Re: [NTB] Search and replace query.

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3 4:52 PM
      John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 19:11
      -0500 (in part):
      > I want to find all lines in a document that contain "a".
      >
      > I want to find all lines in a document that don't contain "a".
      >
      > How do I do this using the find or search and replace options ? I
      > have tried things such as ^.@(a).@$\n and it doesn't work. :-(
      >
      > Using NoteTab Pro 4.95

      not sure what you thought the ampersands (@) would do, but circumflex
      before a character in a character class says:
      any character except it ie. [^a] matches NOT "a"
      so ^[^a]+$ matches ... beginning at char 1 a string of NOT a's through
      the end of line ($)

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • John Fitzsimons
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3 5:30 PM
        On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:52:49 -0500, buralex@... wrote:

        > John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 19:11
        >-0500 (in part):

        Hi Alex,

        >> I want to find all lines in a document that contain "a".

        >> I want to find all lines in a document that don't contain "a".

        Actually the letter was "i" but it was the general syntax I was
        wanting.

        >> How do I do this using the find or search and replace options ? I
        >> have tried things such as ^.@(a).@$\n and it doesn't work. :-(

        >> Using NoteTab Pro 4.95

        >not sure what you thought the ampersands (@) would do, but circumflex
        >before a character in a character class says:
        >any character except it ie. [^a] matches NOT "a"
        >so ^[^a]+$ matches ... beginning at char 1 a string of NOT a's through
        >the end of line ($)

        Wow ! Excellent. Thanks for the very speedy/accurate reply, it is very
        much appreciated. :-) :-) :-)

        Here is what I started with ;

        paxton
        pinite
        taipei
        tiepin
        atone
        axone
        epona
        inapt
        inept
        ionia
        oaten
        panto
        patio
        paton

        Using your ^[^i]+$ replaced with nothing got me......

        pinite
        taipei
        tiepin

        inapt
        inept
        ionia

        patio

        Is there any way I can adapt that to get....

        pinite
        taipei
        tiepin
        inapt
        inept
        ionia

        In other words, find the words without "i", replace them with nothing,
        and delete the empty line ? Leaving behind the list of words/lines
        containing "i" without spaces ?

        Regards, John.
      • buralex@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3 5:58 PM
          John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 20:30
          -0500 (in part):
          > In other words, find the words without "i", replace them with nothing,
          > and delete the empty line ? Leaving behind the list of words/lines
          > containing "i" without spaces ?
          Off-hand I can't think of how to do it in NTB4.95 as a one-liner (nor
          for that matter in NTB5) but you can clear all the empty lines by
          replacing "\n\n+" by "\n".

          In a clip it would be this two-liner:
          ^!replace "^[^i]+$ >> "" rwais
          ^!replace "\n\n+" >> "\n" rwais

          Note: any more discussion should go to the clips list :-) and do
          consider getting NTB5 if only for the improved regular expression syntax.

          > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:52:49 -0500, buralex@... wrote:
          >

          >> > John Fitzsimons <johnf@...> said on Feb 03, 2008 19:11
          >> >-0500 (in part):
          >>

          > Hi Alex,

          > Actually the letter was "i" but it was the general syntax I was
          > wanting.

          >> >not sure what you thought the ampersands (@) would do, but circumflex
          >> >before a character in a character class says:
          >> >any character except it ie. [^a] matches NOT "a"
          >> >so ^[^a]+$ matches ... beginning at char 1 a string of NOT a's through
          >> >the end of line ($)
          >>

          > Wow ! Excellent. Thanks for the very speedy/accurate reply, it is very
          > much appreciated. :-) :-) :-)

          Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

        • Ben B
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3 7:11 PM
            On 2008-02-03 05:30:21 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

            > Using your ^[^i]+$ replaced with nothing got me......
            >
            > pinite
            > taipei
            > tiepin
            >

            > inapt
            > inept
            > ionia
            >

            > patio
            >
            > Is there any way I can adapt that to get....
            >
            > pinite
            > taipei
            > tiepin
            > inapt
            > inept
            > ionia

            ^[^i]+\R

            HTH
            Ben
          • John Fitzsimons
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3 7:28 PM
              On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 19:11:31 -0800, Ben B wrote:

              >On 2008-02-03 05:30:21 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

              Hi Ben,

              >> Using your ^[^i]+$ replaced with nothing got me......

              >> pinite
              >> taipei
              >> tiepin
              >>

              >> inapt
              >> inept
              >> ionia
              >>

              >> patio

              >> Is there any way I can adapt that to get....

              >> pinite
              >> taipei
              >> tiepin
              >> inapt
              >> inept
              >> ionia
              >
              >^[^i]+\R

              That looks very encouraging BUT it doesn't appear to work here. Maybe
              it is because I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 ?

              ^[^i]+\n

              ALMOST works though. :-(

              Thank you for your help. Perhaps someone else can work out something
              from your/Alec's contributions ?

              Regards, John.
            • Ben B
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3 8:17 PM
                On 2008-02-03 07:28:54 John Fitzsimons wrote regarding; "[NTB] Search and replace query."

                > >^[^i]+\R
                >
                > That looks very encouraging BUT it doesn't appear to work here. Maybe
                > it is because I am using NoteTab Pro 4.95 ?

                Yeah, I think so. Sorry, I missed that.

                > ^[^i]+\n
                >
                > ALMOST works though. :-(

                Hmm. Looks like it ought to. But I no longer have 4.95 installed to
                experiment with.

                Ben