Re: [NTB] Error messages a"Current operation will exceed the maximum paragraph size" when running Tidy

  • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
      Interviewed by CNN on 24/1/2008 10:32, WV-Mike told the world:

      > Installed NoteTab Light 5.5.
      > I don't understand why it did not import the .ini file, clips, clipbar, etc.
      > I saw no option for this so it did the default install. No syntax high
      > lighting either, but I could have missed how to turn it on.

      HTML syntax highlighting is one of the extra features in the Pro
      version. The Lite version does not have it, either in the 4.x version or
      in the 5.x.

      The reason it didn't import your old settings is that Notetab 5 is a
      significant overhaul of the innards of the program. One of the big
      changes is that it now supports multiuser environments correctly. This
      means that settings and such are no longer stored in the Notetab folder
      itself, but in an auxiliary folder under the user profile -- so those
      files have to be moved. Yeah, the lack of a migration tool is a bother
      -- but it's a one-time thing.

      Another big change in NT5 is the new regular expressions engine. The new
      one is vastly superior to the old one: it's way faster, has more
      features, doesn't choke when there's a lot of replacements to do...

      Sometimes, a company will release a new version of a product that adds
      useless new "features" while losing sight of whatever made the program
      great in the first place. So far, that HASN'T been the case with
      Notetab: every new major release I saw offered improvements, but the
      features that brought me to it originally are still there.

      Marcelo

      -=-=-
      I look better on a woman!
      * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.7
    • WV-Mike
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
        Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
        > Interviewed by CNN on 24/1/2008 10:32, WV-Mike told the world:
        > HTML syntax highlighting is one of the extra features in the Pro
        > version. The Lite version does not have it, either in the 4.x version or
        > in the 5.x.

        4.5 Pro has it, so I will stick with that.

        > The reason it didn't import your old settings is that Notetab 5 is a
        > significant overhaul of the innards of the program. One of the big
        > changes is that it now supports multiuser environments correctly...<SNIP>

        Thanks for the info on this.
        > Another big change in NT5 is the new regular expressions engine. The new
        > one is vastly superior to the old one: it's way faster, has more
        > features, doesn't choke when there's a lot of replacements to do...

        I can honestly say I probably only use a small fraction of the tools
        available in *any* software I use. That includes NT 4.5. So, to upgrade
        to 5.5 would be pointless to me.

        > Sometimes, a company will release a new version of a product that adds
        > useless new "features" while losing sight of whatever made the program
        > great in the first place. So far, that HASN'T been the case with
        > Notetab: every new major release I saw offered improvements, but the
        > features that brought me to it originally are still there.

        I hear ya! NT "works as advertised" and is the reason it has such a
        loyal fallowing. But - you knew that. ;)

        Thanks,
        -Mike
      • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
          > Thanks for the info on this.
          >> Another big change in NT5 is the new regular expressions engine. The new
          >> one is vastly superior to the old one: it's way faster, has more
          >> features, doesn't choke when there's a lot of replacements to do...
          >
          > I can honestly say I probably only use a small fraction of the tools
          > available in *any* software I use. That includes NT 4.5. So, to upgrade
          > to 5.5 would be pointless to me.

          It really is worth upgrading. Several reasons: the people helping you
          on here have 5.x and so they will more and more be using the additional
          features like regex to solve problems. Plus you will like the power of
          regex once you unleash it.

          Also, the program is fairly inexpensive for the value most of us get out
          of it, so supporting the author when he does do a major update rewards
          him and keeps him motivated to continue improvements.

          While html syntax highlighting is present, other languages are not. I
          think this is by far the greatest shortcoming of the program. Sheri did
          however right a nice language syntax highlighting bit. It does however
          take a little work to install, but works very very well.

          Last, the paragraph size limitation is apparently removed due to the new
          control structure on the version 5.x.
        • Sheri
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
            WV-Mike wrote:
            > Marcelo de Castro Bastos wrote:
            >
            >> Interviewed by CNN on 24/1/2008 10:32, WV-Mike told the world:
            >> HTML syntax highlighting is one of the extra features in the Pro
            >> version. The Lite version does not have it, either in the 4.x version or
            >> in the 5.x.
            >>

            > 4.5 Pro has it, so I will stick with that.
            >

            >> The reason it didn't import your old settings is that Notetab 5 is a
            >> significant overhaul of the innards of the program. One of the big
            >> changes is that it now supports multiuser environments correctly...<SNIP>
            >>

            > Thanks for the info on this.
            >
            >> Another big change in NT5 is the new regular expressions engine. The new
            >> one is vastly superior to the old one: it's way faster, has more
            >> features, doesn't choke when there's a lot of replacements to do...
            >>

            > I can honestly say I probably only use a small fraction of the tools
            > available in *any* software I use. That includes NT 4.5. So, to upgrade
            > to 5.5 would be pointless to me.
            >

            >> Sometimes, a company will release a new version of a product that adds
            >> useless new "features" while losing sight of whatever made the program
            >> great in the first place. So far, that HASN'T been the case with
            >> Notetab: every new major release I saw offered improvements, but the
            >> features that brought me to it originally are still there.
            >>

            > I hear ya! NT "works as advertised" and is the reason it has such a
            > loyal fallowing. But - you knew that. ;)
            >
            > Thanks,
            > -Mike

            I find it convenient to keep both Light and Pro on my system.

            You can get NoteTab Light to use the same Libraries as your 4.95 Pro by
            starting it with a shortcut that includes

            /USER="C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro"

            on the command line. Some clips in those libraries may not work properly
            in the newer version.

            Light will use a different ini than Pro and it is probably for the best
            to start fresh with special settings. However, if you're feel
            adventuresome you could copy notepro.ini to notetab.ini (both in the old
            pro directory) and try it. However doing so might reinstate paragraph
            size restrictions (no idea, however I believe the paragraph restriction
            only ever applied in Pro, not Light or Standard).

            Regards,
            Sheri
          • WV-Mike
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 24, 2008
              Thanks Don and Sheri.
              For now I will stick with 4.5.

              -Mike
            • Mike Breiding
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 8, 2008
                Greetings,
                I thought there was a tool to strip the anchors/links from a doc, but I
                cannot find it.
                http://www.google.com/

                Before: <a href="http://www.xxx.xxx/">Link-Name</a>
                After: Link-Name

                Is there such a tool?

                Thanks,
                -Mike
              • Don Daugherty
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2008
                  Mike Breiding wrote:
                  > Greetings,
                  > I thought there was a tool to strip the anchors/links from a doc, but I
                  > cannot find it.
                  > http://www.google.com/
                  >
                  > Before: <a href="http://www.xxx.xxx/">Link-Name</a>
                  > After: Link-Name
                  >
                  > Is there such a tool?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  > -Mike

                  Does the Notetab operation Modify/Strip Html Tags/Remove All Tags do too
                  much? If so the people on the Clips list can undoubtedly help you write
                  a Clip to do the job.
                • Mike Breiding
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 14, 2008
                    Don Daugherty wrote:

                    > Does the Notetab operation Modify/Strip Html Tags/Remove All Tags do too
                    > much? If so the people on the Clips list can undoubtedly help you write
                    > a Clip to do the job.

                    Hi Don,
                    Clipster Axel sent me a one liner that works fine.
                    Thanks,
                    -Mike
                  • Jim
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
                      Under the 'Modify' menu- select 'strip HTML tags' and pick an option.

                      Running Notetab Light 5.7b.

                      Happy NoteTabbing, Jim
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Mike Breiding <mike@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings,
                      > I thought there was a tool to strip the anchors/links from a doc, but I
                      > cannot find it.
                      > http://www.google.com/
                      >
                      > Before: <a href="http://www.xxx.xxx/">Link-Name</a>
                      > After: Link-Name
                      >
                      > Is there such a tool?
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > -Mike

                    • Mike Breiding
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15, 2008
                        Hi Jim,
                        I needed to strip *only* internal links.
                        Axel sent this clip:

                        ^!Replace "<a href=".+?>(.+?)</a>" >> "$1" WRAS

                        -Mike