Re: [NTB] What is it?

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
      hsavage wrote:
      >> Bruce,
      >> Sounds as if you have set an errant bookmark somehow. Normally
      >> bookmarks are a small gray square with a digit between 0-9. To
      >> test this press, at the same time, Ctrl+Shift+1. A similar gray
      >> square with the digit '1' in it should appear, to remove the
      >> bookmark depress the same 3 keys a second time. I can't account
      >> for the '?' inside the square though.

      Thank you! It seems indeed, to have been a bookmark. And Loro is right. that is (now) obviously a <1> on the marker, not an <!>, as I had thought.

      I don't know how I came to set a bookmark, which I knew nothing about. Ctrl+Shift+1 is not easily entered inadvertently. So I referred to the NoteTab Help facility.

      I chose "Index" and entered 'bookmark'. Nothing.

      I then chose "Search" and entered 'bookmark'. Nothing.

      On the assumption that I must have clicked on some unintended key or combination of keys, I clicked on "Keyboard Shortcuts" and lo and behold, upon scrolling down far enough, I found BOOKMARKS (NTP). Unfortunately, I couldn't copy anything from the help display, but I found there
      Toggle bookmark #1 and on to Toggle bookmark #0
      Move to bookmark #1 and on to Move to bookmark #0
      Next bookmark
      Previous bookmark

      I find no hints anywhere as to what purpose bookmarks serve, except to be 'jumped to'. But after sending my message, I discovered that the paragraph following the bookmark in my text was restored automatically each and every time I deleted it. It took a while before I recognized that!

      Bookmarks must serve some purpose beyond that.

      Perhaps my coordination is bad, but I find it quite annoying that inadvertent key presses while in editing mode can wreak such havoc. Can one toggle keyboard shortcuts on and off?

      Bruce