What is it?

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
      Hello all!

      What have I observed today?

      It has the appearance of a small, gray, square icon to the left of the first column in the Notetab editing window and just to the right of the line numbers. It is a bit higher than the adjacent line numbers and appears to have an exclamation point on it, as far as my eyes can be trusted.

      There is no tool-tip or the like associated with it.

      Puzzling indeed.

      Bruce
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
        Hi
        I no not what you mean pussled ! ?
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > It has the appearance of a small, gray, square icon to the left of the
        > first column in the Notetab editing window and just to the right of the
        > line numbers. It is a bit higher than the adjacent line numbers and
        > appears to have an exclamation point on it, as far as my eyes can be
        > trusted.
        >
        > There is no tool-tip or the like associated with it.
        >
        > Puzzling indeed.
        >
        > Bruce

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
          bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > Hello all!
          >
          > What have I observed today?
          >
          > It has the appearance of a small, gray, square icon to the left of
          the first column in the Notetab editing window and just to the right of
          the line numbers. It is a bit higher than the adjacent line numbers and
          appears to have an exclamation point on it, as far as my eyes can be
          trusted.

          > There is no tool-tip or the like associated with it.
          >
          > Puzzling indeed.
          >
          > Bruce

          Bruce,

          Sounds as if you have set an errant bookmark somehow. Normally
          bookmarks are a small gray square with a digit between 0-9. To test
          this press, at the same time, Ctrl+Shift+1.

          A similar gray square with the digit '1' in it should appear, to remove
          the bookmark depress the same 3 keys a second time.

          I can't account for the '?' inside the square though.

          ºvº SL-01-171 -created- 2008.01.22 - 07.49.55

          Rules guys wish girls knew...
          "It is neither in your best interest,
          nor ours, to take the quiz together."
          ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
        • loro
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
            hsavage wrote:
            >Sounds as if you have set an errant bookmark somehow.

            Of course! That must be it. I was so thrilled by this, hoping for
            feature I had missed...

            >I can't account for the '?' inside the square though.

            Bruce thought he saw an exclamation mark. Could be the number 1.

            Lotta
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 22, 2008
              hsavage wrote:
              >> Bruce,
              >> Sounds as if you have set an errant bookmark somehow. Normally
              >> bookmarks are a small gray square with a digit between 0-9. To
              >> test this press, at the same time, Ctrl+Shift+1. A similar gray
              >> square with the digit '1' in it should appear, to remove the
              >> bookmark depress the same 3 keys a second time. I can't account
              >> for the '?' inside the square though.

              Thank you! It seems indeed, to have been a bookmark. And Loro is right. that is (now) obviously a <1> on the marker, not an <!>, as I had thought.

              I don't know how I came to set a bookmark, which I knew nothing about. Ctrl+Shift+1 is not easily entered inadvertently. So I referred to the NoteTab Help facility.

              I chose "Index" and entered 'bookmark'. Nothing.

              I then chose "Search" and entered 'bookmark'. Nothing.

              On the assumption that I must have clicked on some unintended key or combination of keys, I clicked on "Keyboard Shortcuts" and lo and behold, upon scrolling down far enough, I found BOOKMARKS (NTP). Unfortunately, I couldn't copy anything from the help display, but I found there
              Toggle bookmark #1 and on to Toggle bookmark #0
              Move to bookmark #1 and on to Move to bookmark #0
              Next bookmark
              Previous bookmark

              I find no hints anywhere as to what purpose bookmarks serve, except to be 'jumped to'. But after sending my message, I discovered that the paragraph following the bookmark in my text was restored automatically each and every time I deleted it. It took a while before I recognized that!

              Bookmarks must serve some purpose beyond that.

              Perhaps my coordination is bad, but I find it quite annoying that inadvertent key presses while in editing mode can wreak such havoc. Can one toggle keyboard shortcuts on and off?

              Bruce