Re: [NTB] NoNameFormat

  • sisterscape
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
      --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:

      > Sister,
      >
      > Go to View > Options > General tab, in the lower portion is an entry
      > point, New Name Format. Play with it to try to get what you want.

      That's where I tried deleting the default option but it doesn't seem to
      make any difference. I tried one blank space and it worked for the
      session but didn't "stick". The NoNameFormat entry in the .ini file is
      also now blank but the text keeps reappearing on the tab. I'll keep at
      it. Is there a cache somewhere that need to be deleted?

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
    • buralex@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
        sisterscape <sisterscape@...> said on Jan 14, 2008 22:16 -0500
        (in part):
        > > Sister,
        > >
        > > Go to View > Options > General tab, in the lower portion is an entry
        > > point, New Name Format. Play with it to try to get what you want.
        > >

        > That's where I tried deleting the default option but it doesn't seem to
        > make any difference. I tried one blank space and it worked for the
        > session but didn't "stick". The NoNameFormat entry in the .ini file is
        > also now blank but the text keeps reappearing on the tab. I'll keep at
        > it. Is there a cache somewhere that need to be deleted?
        Sister: After some quick testing it appears that the no-name format is
        the default which gets initialized if that field in the INI file is
        empty (or contains only spaces) akin to the way ALL INI file parameters
        get assigned default values if no INI file is found when Notetab is opened.

        I did try putting just "x" w/o quotes and discovered (to my surprise)
        that you could create multiple new files all taking the name "x.txt" w/o
        apparent problems in Notetab - however if you try to save two with the
        same name (replying [Yes] to replace original on second and subsequent)
        Notetab refuses to allow this.

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • sisterscape
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
          --- buralex@... wrote:

          > I did try putting just "x" w/o quotes and discovered (to my surprise)
          >
          > that you could create multiple new files all taking the name "x.txt"
          > w/o
          > apparent problems in Notetab

          Thanks for testing. I came to the same conclusions using a 0 instead of
          an x. I guess that's the best that can be done.

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
            Under View/options/general is the format box under New Document, if you
            simply remove the NoName part, each doc is simply incrementally numbered.

            I am sure there are ways to change the default extension too, mine once
            was defaulting to html, instead of text, but I don't recall how I set
            that up.

            Jeff

            --

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            ~~

            Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
            'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
            The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

            Visit http://ibssg.org/

            For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
          • Jeff Scism
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
              New Name Format: The name format is used when new documents are created.
              The code "%d" indicates where the incremental numbering is inserted in
              the name. In the following example, the "0.2" between the % and d tells
              NoteTab to format numbers smaller than 2 digits with leading zeroes:
              NoName%0.2d.txt is the default.

              Jeff Scism wrote:

              > Under View/options/general is the format box under New Document, if you
              > simply remove the NoName part, each doc is simply incrementally numbered.
              >
              > I am sure there are ways to change the default extension too, mine once
              > was defaulting to html, instead of text, but I don't recall how I set
              > that up.
              >
              > Jeff

            • Jeff Scism
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                OK to change the default extension, just add that extension after the
                %0.2, in mine I have %0.4.html as the setting, and my docs all have
                three zeros incrementation and html as the extension upon creation.

                Jeff

                --

                Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                ~~

                Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
                'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
                The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

                Visit http://ibssg.org/

                For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
              • hsavage
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                  sisterscape wrote:
                  > --- hsavage <hsavage@...> wrote:
                  >> Sister,
                  >>
                  >> Go to View > Options > General tab, in the lower portion is an entry
                  >> point, New Name Format. Play with it to try to get what you want.
                  >>

                  > That's where I tried deleting the default option but it doesn't seem to
                  > make any difference. I tried one blank space and it worked for the
                  > session but didn't "stick". The NoNameFormat entry in the .ini file is
                  > also now blank but the text keeps reappearing on the tab. I'll keep at
                  > it. Is there a cache somewhere that need to be deleted?

                  Sister,

                  If left blank the filename defaults to Noname1., etc.. I devised my own
                  temp filename, it's 'ntp_%0.2d'. I don't need the .txt, NoteTab's
                  defaults to it when file is saved.

                  You can change to anything you want as long as it is followed by '%0.2d'
                  to create incremental numbering.

                  ºvº SL-01-113 -created- 2008.01.15 - 00.02.48

                  Newspaper HeadLine...
                  "Iraqi Head Seeks Arms"
                  ¤ ø ¤ hrs ø hsavage@...
                • hsavage
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 14, 2008
                    Jeff Scism wrote:
                    > OK to change the default extension, just add that extension after the
                    > %0.2, in mine I have %0.4.html as the setting, and my docs all have
                    > three zeros incrementation and html as the extension upon creation.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                    Jeff, Sister,

                    Another option to control the tempfile extension, goto, View > Options >
                    File Filters > Default Extension. Use any default you want or leave it
                    blank for no extension.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 15, 2008
                      Well, I was hoping to just have a .txt file extension with the cursor
                      ready to type a file name in the correct place. Having to highlight the
                      auto-generated file name before starting to type is a bit of an
                      annoyance. Too bad that NoteTab doesn't automatically highlight the
                      file name for easier replacement.

                      Thanks for the input, guys.

                      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
                    • ebbtidalflats
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 15, 2008
                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, sisterscape <sisterscape@...> wrote:

                        > Well, I was hoping to just have a .txt file extension with the cursor
                        > ready to type a file name in the correct place. Having to highlight the
                        > auto-generated file name before starting to type is a bit of an
                        > annoyance. Too bad that NoteTab doesn't automatically highlight the
                        > file name for easier replacement.
                        >
                        > Thanks for the input, guys.

                        Sis,

                        The solution to what you want is to run a clip, rather than use the
                        new-doc function, when you create a new document.

                        The clip would / could do exactly what you want.
                        1. Create a new document,
                        2. prompt you for a name,
                        3. immediately save it under that name.

                        From then on you have the doc available under the name you want.

                        For specific clip help you'll have to go to the clip-list, and post
                        your request. There are probably several clips out there already,
                        that will do this.

                        Cheers,

                        Eb