Re: NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • David Lettvin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
      > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
      > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
      out, do
      > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
      > into some layout program.
      >
      > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
      > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
      > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
      > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

      To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
      many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
      fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

      As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
      rules.

      I don't care how pretty the page is.

      NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
      minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

      I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
      have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
      roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
      and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

      Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
      way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

      The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
      is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
      problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
      disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

      What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
      written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
      fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

      As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
      but I'll just make it simple.

      As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
      complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
      formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

      I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
      that I know.

      Doc