Re: NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • syntheticgin
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi syntheticgin,
      >
      > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
      > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
      >
      > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
      > Document Formatting.
      >
      > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
      >
      > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
      NoteTab,
      > has no such facility.
      >
      > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
      >
      > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
      > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
      > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
      need
      > to move on. It won't be for you.
      >
      > Greg

      Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
      have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
      about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
      notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
      As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
      in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
      will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
      too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
    • David Lettvin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
        > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
        > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
        out, do
        > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
        > into some layout program.
        >
        > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
        > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
        > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
        > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

        To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
        many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
        fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

        As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
        rules.

        I don't care how pretty the page is.

        NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
        minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

        I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
        have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
        roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
        and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

        Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
        way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

        The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
        is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
        problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
        disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

        What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
        written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
        fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

        As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
        but I'll just make it simple.

        As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
        complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
        formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

        I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
        that I know.

        Doc