Re: [NTB] NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hi syntheticgin,

      On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
      > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

      Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
      Document Formatting.

      > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

      This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
      has no such facility.

      > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

      It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
      imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
      presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
      to move on. It won't be for you.

      Greg
    • syntheticgin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi syntheticgin,
        >
        > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
        > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
        >
        > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
        > Document Formatting.
        >
        > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
        >
        > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
        NoteTab,
        > has no such facility.
        >
        > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
        >
        > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
        > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
        > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
        need
        > to move on. It won't be for you.
        >
        > Greg

        Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
        have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
        about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
        notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
        As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
        in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
        will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
        too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
      • David Lettvin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
          > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
          > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
          out, do
          > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
          > into some layout program.
          >
          > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
          > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
          > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
          > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

          To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
          many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
          fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

          As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
          rules.

          I don't care how pretty the page is.

          NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
          minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

          I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
          have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
          roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
          and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

          Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
          way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

          The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
          is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
          problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
          disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

          What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
          written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
          fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

          As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
          but I'll just make it simple.

          As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
          complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
          formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

          I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
          that I know.

          Doc