Re: [NTB] NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • Don - HtmlFixIt.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
      Matt Clark wrote:
      > Dennis Hays wrote:
      >
      > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
      > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
      > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
      > into some "layout program."
      >
      > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
      >
      > Matt Clark

      We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

      Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
      police or something anyway ;-) ).

      Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
      for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

      I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
      I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
      word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

      On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
      open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
      and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
      can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
      name with the proper extension.

      Don
    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
        Hi syntheticgin,

        On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
        > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

        Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
        Document Formatting.

        > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

        This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
        has no such facility.

        > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

        It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
        imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
        presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
        to move on. It won't be for you.

        Greg
      • syntheticgin
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi syntheticgin,
          >
          > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
          > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
          >
          > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
          > Document Formatting.
          >
          > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
          >
          > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
          NoteTab,
          > has no such facility.
          >
          > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
          >
          > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
          > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
          > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
          need
          > to move on. It won't be for you.
          >
          > Greg

          Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
          have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
          about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
          notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
          As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
          in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
          will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
          too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
        • David Lettvin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
            > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
            > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
            out, do
            > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
            > into some layout program.
            >
            > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
            > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
            > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
            > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

            To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
            many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
            fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

            As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
            rules.

            I don't care how pretty the page is.

            NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
            minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

            I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
            have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
            roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
            and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

            Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
            way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

            The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
            is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
            problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
            disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

            What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
            written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
            fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

            As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
            but I'll just make it simple.

            As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
            complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
            formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

            I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
            that I know.

            Doc