Re[2]: [NTB] NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • Dennis Hays
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
      Hello Matt,

      > Dennis Hays wrote:

      > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
      > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
      > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
      > into some "layout program."

      > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
      > stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

      > Matt Clark

      Well, that's a difficult one. I am using Adobe InDesign CS (version
      3.0.1), which is probably overkill for you. I have been using it for
      years and it sucks in the NoteTab Pro text files and spits out PDF.

      Best,

      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Hays
      Managing Editor
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
        Matt Clark wrote:
        > Dennis Hays wrote:
        >
        > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
        > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
        > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
        > into some "layout program."
        >
        > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
        >
        > Matt Clark

        We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

        Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
        police or something anyway ;-) ).

        Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
        for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

        I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
        I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
        word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

        On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
        open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
        and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
        can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
        name with the proper extension.

        Don
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
          Hi syntheticgin,

          On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
          > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

          Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
          Document Formatting.

          > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

          This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
          has no such facility.

          > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

          It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
          imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
          presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
          to move on. It won't be for you.

          Greg
        • syntheticgin
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi syntheticgin,
            >
            > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
            > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
            >
            > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
            > Document Formatting.
            >
            > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
            >
            > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
            NoteTab,
            > has no such facility.
            >
            > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
            >
            > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
            > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
            > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
            need
            > to move on. It won't be for you.
            >
            > Greg

            Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
            have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
            about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
            notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
            As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
            in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
            will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
            too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
          • David Lettvin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
              > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
              > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
              out, do
              > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
              > into some layout program.
              >
              > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
              > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
              > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
              > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

              To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
              many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
              fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

              As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
              rules.

              I don't care how pretty the page is.

              NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
              minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

              I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
              have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
              roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
              and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

              Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
              way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

              The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
              is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
              problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
              disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

              What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
              written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
              fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

              As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
              but I'll just make it simple.

              As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
              complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
              formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

              I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
              that I know.

              Doc