Re: [NTB] NoteTab as a Writer's Environment

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
      Dennis Hays wrote:

      I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
      composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
      some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
      into some "layout program."

      What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

      Matt Clark

    • syntheticgin
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

        > Dennis Hays wrote:
        >
        > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
        > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
        out, do
        > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text
        file
        > into some "layout program."
        >
        > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
        stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

        > Matt Clark

        >I was curious what you mean exactly by a "layout program", I've
        tried using notetab pro for some word processing but could not find
        some features. Such as double-spacing. I'm new to notetab, other than
        writing simple code, I don't know a lot about its other uses.
      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
          > It was probably just an oversight!

          :-)

          There is a big difference between writing in a word-processing package and
          inputting text into a text editor. This is the spacing between paragraphs.

          With a text editor, you end up putting in extra returns to provide
          whitespace. With a word processor, you do not; instead, the paragraphs
          (should) have default formatting that includes whitespace between them. As
          such, it is a minor pain to shift information from TXT to the W/P (i.e. a
          global change).

          Similarly, if you have lists, bullets, etc (which I often do), you're far
          better off simply putting the stuff directly into the W/P.

          So ... no ... I don't agree that it should be included in any list of Word
          alternatives. I use text editors for text files and word processors for
          formatted text right from the beginning of the input.

          > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package ...

          Not sure where the distractions are. You still type and see it on the
          screen. You still backspace (in my case, a lot) to get rid of typos. Etc,
          etc. In fact the basic interface is fairly similar. It's just that the
          word processor has more buttons because it can do more things. But you
          don't need to press those buttons.

          Regards, Dave S

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
            Hello Matt,

            > Dennis Hays wrote:

            > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
            > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
            > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
            > into some "layout program."

            > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
            > stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

            > Matt Clark

            Well, that's a difficult one. I am using Adobe InDesign CS (version
            3.0.1), which is probably overkill for you. I have been using it for
            years and it sucks in the NoteTab Pro text files and spits out PDF.

            Best,

            Dennis

            --
            Dennis Hays
            Managing Editor
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
              Matt Clark wrote:
              > Dennis Hays wrote:
              >
              > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
              > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
              > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
              > into some "layout program."
              >
              > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
              >
              > Matt Clark

              We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

              Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
              police or something anyway ;-) ).

              Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
              for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

              I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
              I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
              word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

              On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
              open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
              and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
              can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
              name with the proper extension.

              Don
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                Hi syntheticgin,

                On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

                Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                Document Formatting.

                > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

                This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
                has no such facility.

                > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

                It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
                to move on. It won't be for you.

                Greg
              • syntheticgin
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi syntheticgin,
                  >
                  > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                  > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
                  >
                  > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                  > Document Formatting.
                  >
                  > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
                  >
                  > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
                  NoteTab,
                  > has no such facility.
                  >
                  > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                  >
                  > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                  > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                  > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
                  need
                  > to move on. It won't be for you.
                  >
                  > Greg

                  Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
                  have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
                  about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
                  notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
                  As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
                  in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
                  will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
                  too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
                • David Lettvin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
                    > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                    > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                    out, do
                    > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                    > into some layout program.
                    >
                    > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                    > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                    > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                    > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                    To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
                    many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
                    fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

                    As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
                    rules.

                    I don't care how pretty the page is.

                    NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
                    minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

                    I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
                    have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
                    roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
                    and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

                    Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
                    way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

                    The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
                    is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
                    problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
                    disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

                    What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
                    written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
                    fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

                    As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
                    but I'll just make it simple.

                    As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
                    complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
                    formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

                    I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
                    that I know.

                    Doc