Re: [NTB] Re: Delete bug

  • Bert Byfield
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
      polisource wrote:
      > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
      > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

      A wise choice anyway. :-)
    • Matt Clark
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
        polisource wrote:
        > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
        > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

        A wise choice anyway. :-)

        Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in last Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the piece and give there thoughts on this list.

        Matt Clark

      • Dennis Hays
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
          On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:29:35 -0500, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

          > Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
          last
          > Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
          > alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
          > NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
          > perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
          > piece and give there thoughts on this list.

          Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
          composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
          some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
          into some layout program.

          As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
          feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
          application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
          Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

          --
          Best,

          Dennis
          --------------------
          Photo News Today
          www.photonewstoday.com
          Secrets of Digital Imaging
          www.imagingsecrets.com
          --------------------
        • Matt Clark
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
            Dennis Hays wrote:

            I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
            composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
            some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
            into some "layout program."

            What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

            Matt Clark

          • syntheticgin
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

              > Dennis Hays wrote:
              >
              > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
              > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
              out, do
              > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text
              file
              > into some "layout program."
              >
              > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
              stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

              > Matt Clark

              >I was curious what you mean exactly by a "layout program", I've
              tried using notetab pro for some word processing but could not find
              some features. Such as double-spacing. I'm new to notetab, other than
              writing simple code, I don't know a lot about its other uses.
            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                > It was probably just an oversight!

                :-)

                There is a big difference between writing in a word-processing package and
                inputting text into a text editor. This is the spacing between paragraphs.

                With a text editor, you end up putting in extra returns to provide
                whitespace. With a word processor, you do not; instead, the paragraphs
                (should) have default formatting that includes whitespace between them. As
                such, it is a minor pain to shift information from TXT to the W/P (i.e. a
                global change).

                Similarly, if you have lists, bullets, etc (which I often do), you're far
                better off simply putting the stuff directly into the W/P.

                So ... no ... I don't agree that it should be included in any list of Word
                alternatives. I use text editors for text files and word processors for
                formatted text right from the beginning of the input.

                > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package ...

                Not sure where the distractions are. You still type and see it on the
                screen. You still backspace (in my case, a lot) to get rid of typos. Etc,
                etc. In fact the basic interface is fairly similar. It's just that the
                word processor has more buttons because it can do more things. But you
                don't need to press those buttons.

                Regards, Dave S

                >> Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
                > last
                >> Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
                >> alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
                >> NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
                >> perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
                >> piece and give there thoughts on this list.
                >>

                > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                > into some layout program.
                >
                > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!
                >
                > --
                > Best,
                >
                > Dennis
                > --------------------
                > Photo News Today
                > www.photonewstoday.com
                > Secrets of Digital Imaging
                > www.imagingsecrets.com
                >
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Dennis Hays
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                  Hello Matt,

                  > Dennis Hays wrote:

                  > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                  > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                  > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                  > into some "layout program."

                  > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
                  > stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                  > Matt Clark

                  Well, that's a difficult one. I am using Adobe InDesign CS (version
                  3.0.1), which is probably overkill for you. I have been using it for
                  years and it sucks in the NoteTab Pro text files and spits out PDF.

                  Best,

                  Dennis

                  --
                  Dennis Hays
                  Managing Editor
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                    Matt Clark wrote:
                    > Dennis Hays wrote:
                    >
                    > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                    > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                    > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                    > into some "layout program."
                    >
                    > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
                    >
                    > Matt Clark

                    We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

                    Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
                    police or something anyway ;-) ).

                    Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
                    for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

                    I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
                    I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
                    word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

                    On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
                    open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
                    and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
                    can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
                    name with the proper extension.

                    Don
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                      Hi syntheticgin,

                      On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                      > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

                      Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                      Document Formatting.

                      > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

                      This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
                      has no such facility.

                      > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

                      It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                      imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                      presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
                      to move on. It won't be for you.

                      Greg
                    • syntheticgin
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi syntheticgin,
                        >
                        > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                        > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
                        >
                        > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                        > Document Formatting.
                        >
                        > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
                        >
                        > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
                        NoteTab,
                        > has no such facility.
                        >
                        > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                        >
                        > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                        > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                        > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
                        need
                        > to move on. It won't be for you.
                        >
                        > Greg

                        Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
                        have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
                        about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
                        notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
                        As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
                        in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
                        will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
                        too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
                      • David Lettvin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
                          > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                          > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                          out, do
                          > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                          > into some layout program.
                          >
                          > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                          > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                          > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                          > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                          To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
                          many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
                          fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

                          As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
                          rules.

                          I don't care how pretty the page is.

                          NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
                          minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

                          I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
                          have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
                          roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
                          and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

                          Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
                          way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

                          The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
                          is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
                          problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
                          disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

                          What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
                          written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
                          fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

                          As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
                          but I'll just make it simple.

                          As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
                          complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
                          formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

                          I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
                          that I know.

                          Doc