Re: Delete bug

  • polisource
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
      I reproduced it! I don't know if it causes all the problems I
      mentioned, but this will cause square characters to appear. Maybe you
      can create a smaller code sample that demonstrates the bug using a
      simpler procedure, but this is all I have so far:

      1. Open http://www.polisource.com/misc/tv-listing-jan6.html in
      NoteTab Light 5.5 on Windows XP. Make sure it's editable (I don't
      know how but I already have an editable copy that I used).

      2. Scroll down to the comment that says "1st page left side goes
      here..." which is a few lines past the body tag.

      3. Put the cursor at the beginning of the next line (before the
      opening angle bracket for the ul tag), hold the left mouse button
      down, and drag the cursor down to highlight everything from that
      point to the line before the /div tag, then hit backspace. In other
      words, you have to delete the spaced blocks for channels 1 through 63.

      4. A few lines down from what you just deleted will be a comment that
      says "1st page right side goes here..." Repeat step 3.

      5. A few lines down from what you just deleted, put the cursor at the
      beginning of the blank line under the "div class" line, left click,
      drag down the cursor to select the three blank lines, and press
      backspace to delete them.

      That's it - square characters will appear on the line of the cursor.
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
        Hi,

        I just tried what you explained and was able to reproduce the issue. The
        workaround that seems to fix it is to simply toggle wordwrap off and
        then back on.

        Unfortunately, it seems to be a bug in the Windows rich-edit control,
        which NoteTab Light uses. So there is nothing in the actual NoteTab code
        that can be corrected to fix the issue. I tried with NoteTab Pro and it
        works fine.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
          That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
          products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.
        • Bert Byfield
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
            polisource wrote:
            > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
            > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

            A wise choice anyway. :-)
          • Matt Clark
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
              polisource wrote:
              > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
              > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

              A wise choice anyway. :-)

              Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in last Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the piece and give there thoughts on this list.

              Matt Clark

            • Dennis Hays
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:29:35 -0500, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

                > Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
                last
                > Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
                > alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
                > NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
                > perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
                > piece and give there thoughts on this list.

                Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                into some layout program.

                As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                --
                Best,

                Dennis
                --------------------
                Photo News Today
                www.photonewstoday.com
                Secrets of Digital Imaging
                www.imagingsecrets.com
                --------------------
              • Matt Clark
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                  Dennis Hays wrote:

                  I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                  composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                  some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                  into some "layout program."

                  What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                  Matt Clark

                • syntheticgin
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

                    > Dennis Hays wrote:
                    >
                    > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                    > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                    out, do
                    > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text
                    file
                    > into some "layout program."
                    >
                    > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
                    stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                    > Matt Clark

                    >I was curious what you mean exactly by a "layout program", I've
                    tried using notetab pro for some word processing but could not find
                    some features. Such as double-spacing. I'm new to notetab, other than
                    writing simple code, I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                  • David Smart
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                      > It was probably just an oversight!

                      :-)

                      There is a big difference between writing in a word-processing package and
                      inputting text into a text editor. This is the spacing between paragraphs.

                      With a text editor, you end up putting in extra returns to provide
                      whitespace. With a word processor, you do not; instead, the paragraphs
                      (should) have default formatting that includes whitespace between them. As
                      such, it is a minor pain to shift information from TXT to the W/P (i.e. a
                      global change).

                      Similarly, if you have lists, bullets, etc (which I often do), you're far
                      better off simply putting the stuff directly into the W/P.

                      So ... no ... I don't agree that it should be included in any list of Word
                      alternatives. I use text editors for text files and word processors for
                      formatted text right from the beginning of the input.

                      > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package ...

                      Not sure where the distractions are. You still type and see it on the
                      screen. You still backspace (in my case, a lot) to get rid of typos. Etc,
                      etc. In fact the basic interface is fairly similar. It's just that the
                      word processor has more buttons because it can do more things. But you
                      don't need to press those buttons.

                      Regards, Dave S

                      >> Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
                      > last
                      >> Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
                      >> alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
                      >> NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
                      >> perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
                      >> piece and give there thoughts on this list.
                      >>

                      > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                      > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                      > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                      > into some layout program.
                      >
                      > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                      > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                      > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                      > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!
                      >
                      > --
                      > Best,
                      >
                      > Dennis
                      > --------------------
                      > Photo News Today
                      > www.photonewstoday.com
                      > Secrets of Digital Imaging
                      > www.imagingsecrets.com
                      >
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Dennis Hays
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                        Hello Matt,

                        > Dennis Hays wrote:

                        > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                        > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                        > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                        > into some "layout program."

                        > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
                        > stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                        > Matt Clark

                        Well, that's a difficult one. I am using Adobe InDesign CS (version
                        3.0.1), which is probably overkill for you. I have been using it for
                        years and it sucks in the NoteTab Pro text files and spits out PDF.

                        Best,

                        Dennis

                        --
                        Dennis Hays
                        Managing Editor
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                          Matt Clark wrote:
                          > Dennis Hays wrote:
                          >
                          > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                          > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                          > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                          > into some "layout program."
                          >
                          > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
                          >
                          > Matt Clark

                          We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

                          Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
                          police or something anyway ;-) ).

                          Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
                          for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

                          I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
                          I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
                          word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

                          On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
                          open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
                          and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
                          can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
                          name with the proper extension.

                          Don
                        • Greg Chapman
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                            Hi syntheticgin,

                            On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                            > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

                            Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                            Document Formatting.

                            > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

                            This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
                            has no such facility.

                            > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

                            It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                            imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                            presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
                            to move on. It won't be for you.

                            Greg
                          • syntheticgin
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
                              wrote:

                              > Hi syntheticgin,
                              >
                              > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                              > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
                              >
                              > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                              > Document Formatting.
                              >
                              > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
                              >
                              > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
                              NoteTab,
                              > has no such facility.
                              >
                              > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                              >
                              > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                              > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                              > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
                              need
                              > to move on. It won't be for you.
                              >
                              > Greg

                              Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
                              have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
                              about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
                              notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
                              As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
                              in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
                              will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
                              too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
                            • David Lettvin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
                                > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                                > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                                out, do
                                > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                                > into some layout program.
                                >
                                > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                                > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                                > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                                > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                                To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
                                many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
                                fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

                                As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
                                rules.

                                I don't care how pretty the page is.

                                NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
                                minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

                                I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
                                have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
                                roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
                                and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

                                Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
                                way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

                                The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
                                is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
                                problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
                                disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

                                What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
                                written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
                                fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

                                As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
                                but I'll just make it simple.

                                As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
                                complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
                                formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

                                I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
                                that I know.

                                Doc