Re: Delete bug

  • polisource
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
      I can't reproduce it. I'll provide more detail if it pops up again.
      There were numerous weird things happening at once. I also couldn't
      insert the cursor at the end of a line, there were line breaks after
      some angle brackets where they didn't belong, and I think there were
      square characters scattered about. Some things were deletable, but I
      couldn't delete group of blank lines by highlighting them and hitting
      backspace.
    • polisource
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 7, 2008
        I reproduced it! I don't know if it causes all the problems I
        mentioned, but this will cause square characters to appear. Maybe you
        can create a smaller code sample that demonstrates the bug using a
        simpler procedure, but this is all I have so far:

        1. Open http://www.polisource.com/misc/tv-listing-jan6.html in
        NoteTab Light 5.5 on Windows XP. Make sure it's editable (I don't
        know how but I already have an editable copy that I used).

        2. Scroll down to the comment that says "1st page left side goes
        here..." which is a few lines past the body tag.

        3. Put the cursor at the beginning of the next line (before the
        opening angle bracket for the ul tag), hold the left mouse button
        down, and drag the cursor down to highlight everything from that
        point to the line before the /div tag, then hit backspace. In other
        words, you have to delete the spaced blocks for channels 1 through 63.

        4. A few lines down from what you just deleted will be a comment that
        says "1st page right side goes here..." Repeat step 3.

        5. A few lines down from what you just deleted, put the cursor at the
        beginning of the blank line under the "div class" line, left click,
        drag down the cursor to select the three blank lines, and press
        backspace to delete them.

        That's it - square characters will appear on the line of the cursor.
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
          Hi,

          I just tried what you explained and was able to reproduce the issue. The
          workaround that seems to fix it is to simply toggle wordwrap off and
          then back on.

          Unfortunately, it seems to be a bug in the Windows rich-edit control,
          which NoteTab Light uses. So there is nothing in the actual NoteTab code
          that can be corrected to fix the issue. I tried with NoteTab Pro and it
          works fine.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
            That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
            products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.
          • Bert Byfield
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 8, 2008
              polisource wrote:
              > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
              > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

              A wise choice anyway. :-)
            • Matt Clark
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                polisource wrote:
                > That makes this the third word wrap bug I've found in Microsoft
                > products. I guess I have to consider buying Notetab Pro.

                A wise choice anyway. :-)

                Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in last Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the piece and give there thoughts on this list.

                Matt Clark

              • Dennis Hays
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                  On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:29:35 -0500, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

                  > Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
                  last
                  > Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
                  > alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
                  > NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
                  > perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
                  > piece and give there thoughts on this list.

                  Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                  composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                  some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                  into some layout program.

                  As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                  feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                  application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                  Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                  --
                  Best,

                  Dennis
                  --------------------
                  Photo News Today
                  www.photonewstoday.com
                  Secrets of Digital Imaging
                  www.imagingsecrets.com
                  --------------------
                • Matt Clark
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                    Dennis Hays wrote:

                    I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                    composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                    some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                    into some "layout program."

                    What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                    Matt Clark

                  • syntheticgin
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> wrote:

                      > Dennis Hays wrote:
                      >
                      > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                      > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                      out, do
                      > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text
                      file
                      > into some "layout program."
                      >
                      > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
                      stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                      > Matt Clark

                      >I was curious what you mean exactly by a "layout program", I've
                      tried using notetab pro for some word processing but could not find
                      some features. Such as double-spacing. I'm new to notetab, other than
                      writing simple code, I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                    • David Smart
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                        > It was probably just an oversight!

                        :-)

                        There is a big difference between writing in a word-processing package and
                        inputting text into a text editor. This is the spacing between paragraphs.

                        With a text editor, you end up putting in extra returns to provide
                        whitespace. With a word processor, you do not; instead, the paragraphs
                        (should) have default formatting that includes whitespace between them. As
                        such, it is a minor pain to shift information from TXT to the W/P (i.e. a
                        global change).

                        Similarly, if you have lists, bullets, etc (which I often do), you're far
                        better off simply putting the stuff directly into the W/P.

                        So ... no ... I don't agree that it should be included in any list of Word
                        alternatives. I use text editors for text files and word processors for
                        formatted text right from the beginning of the input.

                        > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package ...

                        Not sure where the distractions are. You still type and see it on the
                        screen. You still backspace (in my case, a lot) to get rid of typos. Etc,
                        etc. In fact the basic interface is fairly similar. It's just that the
                        word processor has more buttons because it can do more things. But you
                        don't need to press those buttons.

                        Regards, Dave S

                        >> Pardon me for butting in off topic, but did anyone see the article in
                        > last
                        >> Sunday's (Jan. 5) NY Times Magazine by Virginia Herffernan extolling
                        >> alternatives to Word? Although it wasn't mentioned, I would assume that
                        >> NoteTab would qualify as such, since it has not format and gives one a
                        >> perfectly full, blank screen to write on. NoteTab experts should read the
                        >> piece and give there thoughts on this list.
                        >>

                        > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                        > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                        > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                        > into some layout program.
                        >
                        > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                        > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                        > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                        > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!
                        >
                        > --
                        > Best,
                        >
                        > Dennis
                        > --------------------
                        > Photo News Today
                        > www.photonewstoday.com
                        > Secrets of Digital Imaging
                        > www.imagingsecrets.com
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Dennis Hays
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                          Hello Matt,

                          > Dennis Hays wrote:

                          > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                          > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                          > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                          > into some "layout program."

                          > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics
                          > stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.

                          > Matt Clark

                          Well, that's a difficult one. I am using Adobe InDesign CS (version
                          3.0.1), which is probably overkill for you. I have been using it for
                          years and it sucks in the NoteTab Pro text files and spits out PDF.

                          Best,

                          Dennis

                          --
                          Dennis Hays
                          Managing Editor
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                            Matt Clark wrote:
                            > Dennis Hays wrote:
                            >
                            > I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                            > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose out, do
                            > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                            > into some "layout program."
                            >
                            > What layout program would you recommend? I don't do heavy graphics stuff and would want a fairly simple, and cheap one.
                            >
                            > Matt Clark

                            We should definitely go off topic with this and I'll copy that list.

                            Please everyone help us in discussion over there (like I'm the off topic
                            police or something anyway ;-) ).

                            Anyway, word, wordperfect and open office all are pretty rich featured
                            for layout. One of them is free at http://openoffice.org

                            I have no specific experience in ebooks or publishing in this context.
                            I know that when I edit books for print the publisher requires us to use
                            word and the change tracking feature. That is actually a helpful thing.

                            On the other question: just open open office and then click on file,
                            open (be sure "all files" is the selected filtering with the drop down)
                            and open the file you wish. It will open in that program and then you
                            can add formatting, but when you are done, save it under a different
                            name with the proper extension.

                            Don
                          • Greg Chapman
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                              Hi syntheticgin,

                              On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                              > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing

                              Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                              Document Formatting.

                              > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.

                              This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as NoteTab,
                              has no such facility.

                              > I don't know a lot about its other uses.

                              It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                              imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                              presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you need
                              to move on. It won't be for you.

                              Greg
                            • syntheticgin
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 9, 2008
                                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Greg Chapman <gregchapmanuk@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi syntheticgin,
                                >
                                > On 09 Jan 08 20:54 "syntheticgin" <syntheticgin@...> said:
                                > > I've tried using notetab pro for some word processing
                                >
                                > Mistake! :-) Word Processing has two aspects. Text editing and
                                > Document Formatting.
                                >
                                > > but could not find some features. Such as double-spacing.
                                >
                                > This is a formatting issue, therefore a text editor, such as
                                NoteTab,
                                > has no such facility.
                                >
                                > > I don't know a lot about its other uses.
                                >
                                > It will do just about any manipulation of text files that you can
                                > imagine. However, it has virtually no facilities at all for text
                                > presentation, so if you've turned to NoteTab for that, then you
                                need
                                > to move on. It won't be for you.
                                >
                                > Greg

                                Thanks Greg, you answered one question I had, that being does notetab
                                have the same format ability as a word processor. I was not sure
                                about this because it is a new product to me, and I have only used
                                notepad in the past(and wysiwyg editors).
                                As for openoffice question, It is just text files I was trying to use
                                in notetab, a few paragraphs of formatted text. I think copy/paste
                                will solve my problem here, like you suggested. I don't want to be
                                too long-winded so I won't go into the details of my previous posts.
                              • David Lettvin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 10, 2008
                                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Hays <dhays@...> wrote:
                                  > Just to amplify... I use NoteTab Pro as my preferred environment while
                                  > composing my ebooks. It's far easier for me to just get the prose
                                  out, do
                                  > some grammatical editing, and then, when finished, import the text file
                                  > into some layout program.
                                  >
                                  > As the interface is less distracting than any word-processing package, I
                                  > feel I can concentrate on the content and not on the mechanics of the
                                  > application. So, Matt, I agree - it should have been mentioned in the NY
                                  > Times magazine. It was probably just an oversight!

                                  To amplify still further ... I am a technical and creative writer. For
                                  many years I have used NoteTab for the development and writing of
                                  fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays and blog entries.

                                  As a professional writer, I can attest to one simple fact ... content
                                  rules.

                                  I don't care how pretty the page is.

                                  NoteTab lets me work quickly and efficiently, providing all the
                                  minimal formatting I need to get the ideas out and onto paper or screen.

                                  I used to run a very effective technical writing department, and I
                                  have consulted on software documentation issues. The single biggest
                                  roadblock to efficient content development is the constant tweaking
                                  and agonizing over format that writers use to avoid real work.

                                  Using a text editor for development of written material is the best
                                  way to get the content completed in the shortest period.

                                  The idiotic thing is that most of the flailing around with templates
                                  is done when the content is still being modified, so most of the
                                  problems and exceptions that cause the grief and slowdowns may
                                  disappear by the time you finalize the manual.

                                  What's even more amusing is that formatting a document that has been
                                  written well in a text editor takes less time than all of the font
                                  fondling done in MSWord and FrameMaker.

                                  As you can probably tell, I could go on at great length about this,
                                  but I'll just make it simple.

                                  As a writer, your primary job is content. I would rather send out a
                                  complete and well-written text file in Courier, than a beautifully
                                  formatted incomplete document that is confused and poorly written.

                                  I LOVE NoteTab, and I recommend it to all the writers, pro or not,
                                  that I know.

                                  Doc