Re: [NTB] PDF files

  • buralex@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
      "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> said on Dec 18, 2007 17:35 -0500 (in
      part):
      > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
      > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
      >
      > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
      > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
      > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
      > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
      > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
      >
      > Matt
      Good discussion on this one :-)
      For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
      which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
      etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
      Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
      available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
      though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

      Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

    • Matt Clark
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
        Many thanks. But I solved the problem by simply buying a PDF Editor. They were having a Christmas sale.

        No more posts.

        Matt
        > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
        > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
        >
        > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
        > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
        > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
        > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
        > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Matt
        Good discussion on this one :-)
        For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
        which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
        etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
        Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
        available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
        though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

        Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

      • David Smart
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
          What I was describing was indeed essentially one way.

          I wouldn't ever use PDF as a way of storing information, so I'd be
          extracting the information and putting it somewhere else - Excel, a
          database, Word, or a simple text file.

          Then when I want to create a new PDF file, I simply use the CutePDF
          freeware. This installs as a printer in your PC and allows your to create
          PDFs from anything you can print. It's a great little program.

          Regards, Dave S

          > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
          > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
          >
          > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
          > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
          > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
          > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
          > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Matt

        • Matt Clark
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
            Thanks Dave. It's only this one list that's in PDF format, and I understand what you're saying about storing data in that format. I've solved the problem, and since it's off-topic, won't prolong the discussion on this list.

            Thanks again.

            Matt