Re: [NTB] Can't connect NoteTab Pro's FTP feature to website

  • loro
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
      decannusmc wrote:
      >NoteTab Pro came very highly recommended to me, and I
      >admittedly am very new at this so may be doing something wrong, but
      >if I cannot connect to the webpage then the software is of little
      >value to me.

      As I said earlier, if you aren't a command line geek you are much
      better off using a graphical FTP program. Notetab is a text editor.
      Its scripting capabilities makes it possible to make it interact with
      other programs, in this case ftp.exe. I wouldn't want to manage a
      site using that though. For certain specialized purposes it's useful
      because it's quick. In most cases I like to "see" the files on the
      server, get confirmations and so on. I think you are expecting the
      kind of FTP integration some HTML editors have. Notetab don't have
      this. There won't be a window displaying all the fifes on the server
      or drag and drop. If you are anything like me, use full featured FTP
      program for FTP and Notetab for editing your pages.

      Lotta
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "decannusmc" <decann@...> wrote:

        > I am new at this, so please bear with me. I have just installed
        > NoteTab Pro 5.5 but cannot set up the FTP feature to connect to my
        > existing website. I know my username, address, password are correct
        > because they work perfectly in two other places, but not with
        > NoteTab. I've written to NoteTab and they referred me here. PLEASE
        > HELP ME. I am running on Windows XP Professional if that matters with
        > anything.
        >
        > How do I make this work?

        I would be happy to help you, but we will need to discuss it on the
        Clips list. I wrote some clips that use ftp.exe for uploading the
        current document or multiple text or binary files from selected
        folders on the local computer to selected folders on the remote
        computers. See FTP_Custom_Ver1.4.zip in the Files area on the clips
        list. Mine does uploading only.

        Sheri
      • tuttle.grey
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "decannusmc" <decann@...> wrote:

          > NOTHING happens, that is the problem. I am trying to set up an FTP
          > connection to an existing webpage using login information that is
          > CONFIRMED correct (it works using other software), but when I enter
          > it in the appropriate dialog I get no connection, and yet following
          > the same steps in another HTML editor I have installed works
          > flawlessly. NoteTab Pro came very highly recommended to me, and I
          > admittedly am very new at this so may be doing something wrong, but
          > if I cannot connect to the webpage then the software is of little
          > value to me.

          Your last comment is strange. NoteTab is primarily a text editor, not
          an FTP client. Most users find NoteTab to be highly functional and
          really useful, without ever using it for FTP. FTP is kind of an extra
          function, added via Clips.

          That FTP clip requires Windows FTP.exe. Have you tried running
          FTP.exe from a Command window to see if it works for you? If it
          doesn't, then the problem is not with NoteTab or the clip.

          If you are able to use FTP.exe from a Command window, then I suggest
          an alternative to the FTP clip. I suggest that you instead use
          Sheri's FTP Custom clip. It is far superior to the basic FTP clip. I
          provided some user interface and process requirements, and Sheri did
          a great job at producing an excellent clip. Use that instead of the
          FTP clip.

          But, if the primary reason you want NoteTab is for FTP functionality,
          then I think you're using the wrong tool.