Re: [NTB] PDF files

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
      Dave S wrote:

      But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
      put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

      What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.

      Matt
      But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
      put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
        Hi
        you may be able to open up the reader copy the text you want and then use a
        library called "Ntp2fpdf" change the bits and then re-pdf with the library
        back to pdf.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
        > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
        >
        > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
        > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
        > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
        > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
        > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Matt

      • Jeff Scism
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
          Matt Clark wrote:

          > Dave S wrote:
          >
          > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
          > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
          >
          > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
          > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
          > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
          > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
          > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Matt

          One of the "features" of the portable Document format in the early days
          of the format was advertised as "copy protection" preventing people from
          copying from your PDF documents. Since that time there have been several
          PDF capable programs designed by others which enable access to the
          contents of a PDF document.

          In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
          this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to work
          around it.

          In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to be able
          to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.

          I am copying this reply to the Off-topic list,
          ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, because it isn't on-topic for the basic
          NoteTab list. Please continue there.

          --

          Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
          ~~

          Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
          'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
          The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

          Visit http://ibssg.org/

          For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
        • buralex@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
            "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> said on Dec 18, 2007 17:35 -0500 (in
            part):
            > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
            > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
            >
            > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
            > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
            > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
            > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
            > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Matt
            Good discussion on this one :-)
            For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
            which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
            etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
            Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
            available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
            though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

            Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

          • Matt Clark
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
              Many thanks. But I solved the problem by simply buying a PDF Editor. They were having a Christmas sale.

              No more posts.

              Matt
              > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
              > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
              >
              > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
              > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
              > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
              > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
              > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Matt
              Good discussion on this one :-)
              For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
              which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
              etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
              Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
              available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
              though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

            • David Smart
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                What I was describing was indeed essentially one way.

                I wouldn't ever use PDF as a way of storing information, so I'd be
                extracting the information and putting it somewhere else - Excel, a
                database, Word, or a simple text file.

                Then when I want to create a new PDF file, I simply use the CutePDF
                freeware. This installs as a printer in your PC and allows your to create
                PDFs from anything you can print. It's a great little program.

                Regards, Dave S

                > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                >
                > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
                > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
                > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
                > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
                > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                >
                > Matt

              • Matt Clark
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                  Thanks Dave. It's only this one list that's in PDF format, and I understand what you're saying about storing data in that format. I've solved the problem, and since it's off-topic, won't prolong the discussion on this list.

                  Thanks again.

                  Matt