Can't connect NoteTab Pro's FTP feature to website

  • decannusmc
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2007
      I am new at this, so please bear with me. I have just installed
      NoteTab Pro 5.5 but cannot set up the FTP feature to connect to my
      existing website. I know my username, address, password are correct
      because they work perfectly in two other places, but not with
      NoteTab. I've written to NoteTab and they referred me here. PLEASE
      HELP ME. I am running on Windows XP Professional if that matters with
      anything.

      How do I make this work?
    • loro
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2007
        Hi!

        decannusmc wrote:
        >I am new at this, so please bear with me. I have just installed
        >NoteTab Pro 5.5 but cannot set up the FTP feature to connect to my
        >existing website. I know my username, address, password are correct
        >because they work perfectly in two other places, but not with
        >NoteTab. I've written to NoteTab and they referred me here. PLEASE
        >HELP ME. I am running on Windows XP Professional if that matters with
        >anything.

        So where does it go wrong, what happens?

        Are you aware that Notetab doesn't provide an FTP interface per se?
        The FTP clips just pass commands to ftp.exe, a DOS utility hidden
        somewhere in the Windows folder. I think most of us agree that for
        most tasks a more easy to use FTP program is to prefer, but scripting
        ftp.exe can be useful for example as as a quick way to download a
        specific file you download frequently and similar things.

        Lotta
      • decannusmc
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <loro-spam01-@...> wrote:

          > Hi!
          >
          > decannusmc wrote:
          > >I am new at this, so please bear with me. I have just installed
          > >NoteTab Pro 5.5 but cannot set up the FTP feature to connect to my
          > >existing website. I know my username, address, password are
          correct
          > >because they work perfectly in two other places, but not with
          > >NoteTab. I've written to NoteTab and they referred me here.
          PLEASE
          > >HELP ME. I am running on Windows XP Professional if that matters
          with
          > >anything.
          >
          > So where does it go wrong, what happens?
          >
          > Are you aware that Notetab doesn't provide an FTP interface per
          se?
          > The FTP clips just pass commands to ftp.exe, a DOS utility hidden
          > somewhere in the Windows folder. I think most of us agree that for
          > most tasks a more easy to use FTP program is to prefer, but
          scripting
          > ftp.exe can be useful for example as as a quick way to download a
          > specific file you download frequently and similar things.
          >
          > Lotta

          Lotta,

          NOTHING happens, that is the problem. I am trying to set up an FTP
          connection to an existing webpage using login information that is
          CONFIRMED correct (it works using other software), but when I enter
          it in the appropriate dialog I get no connection, and yet following
          the same steps in another HTML editor I have installed works
          flawlessly. NoteTab Pro came very highly recommended to me, and I
          admittedly am very new at this so may be doing something wrong, but
          if I cannot connect to the webpage then the software is of little
          value to me.
        • loro
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
            decannusmc wrote:
            >NOTHING happens, that is the problem. I am trying to set up an FTP
            >connection to an existing webpage using login information that is
            >CONFIRMED correct

            I'm not very familiar with the FTP clips that come with Notetab, but
            as I think they work the clip called "FTP server setup" just collects
            your login details and saves them to Notetab's ini files. Once that's
            done you have to run the other clips (Download files, Upload
            files...) and manually enter the paths to the file on the server and
            locally to make something happen.

            Lotta
          • loro
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
              decannusmc wrote:
              >NoteTab Pro came very highly recommended to me, and I
              >admittedly am very new at this so may be doing something wrong, but
              >if I cannot connect to the webpage then the software is of little
              >value to me.

              As I said earlier, if you aren't a command line geek you are much
              better off using a graphical FTP program. Notetab is a text editor.
              Its scripting capabilities makes it possible to make it interact with
              other programs, in this case ftp.exe. I wouldn't want to manage a
              site using that though. For certain specialized purposes it's useful
              because it's quick. In most cases I like to "see" the files on the
              server, get confirmations and so on. I think you are expecting the
              kind of FTP integration some HTML editors have. Notetab don't have
              this. There won't be a window displaying all the fifes on the server
              or drag and drop. If you are anything like me, use full featured FTP
              program for FTP and Notetab for editing your pages.

              Lotta
            • Sheri
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "decannusmc" <decann@...> wrote:

                > I am new at this, so please bear with me. I have just installed
                > NoteTab Pro 5.5 but cannot set up the FTP feature to connect to my
                > existing website. I know my username, address, password are correct
                > because they work perfectly in two other places, but not with
                > NoteTab. I've written to NoteTab and they referred me here. PLEASE
                > HELP ME. I am running on Windows XP Professional if that matters with
                > anything.
                >
                > How do I make this work?

                I would be happy to help you, but we will need to discuss it on the
                Clips list. I wrote some clips that use ftp.exe for uploading the
                current document or multiple text or binary files from selected
                folders on the local computer to selected folders on the remote
                computers. See FTP_Custom_Ver1.4.zip in the Files area on the clips
                list. Mine does uploading only.

                Sheri
              • tuttle.grey
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 19, 2007
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "decannusmc" <decann@...> wrote:

                  > NOTHING happens, that is the problem. I am trying to set up an FTP
                  > connection to an existing webpage using login information that is
                  > CONFIRMED correct (it works using other software), but when I enter
                  > it in the appropriate dialog I get no connection, and yet following
                  > the same steps in another HTML editor I have installed works
                  > flawlessly. NoteTab Pro came very highly recommended to me, and I
                  > admittedly am very new at this so may be doing something wrong, but
                  > if I cannot connect to the webpage then the software is of little
                  > value to me.

                  Your last comment is strange. NoteTab is primarily a text editor, not
                  an FTP client. Most users find NoteTab to be highly functional and
                  really useful, without ever using it for FTP. FTP is kind of an extra
                  function, added via Clips.

                  That FTP clip requires Windows FTP.exe. Have you tried running
                  FTP.exe from a Command window to see if it works for you? If it
                  doesn't, then the problem is not with NoteTab or the clip.

                  If you are able to use FTP.exe from a Command window, then I suggest
                  an alternative to the FTP clip. I suggest that you instead use
                  Sheri's FTP Custom clip. It is far superior to the basic FTP clip. I
                  provided some user interface and process requirements, and Sheri did
                  a great job at producing an excellent clip. Use that instead of the
                  FTP clip.

                  But, if the primary reason you want NoteTab is for FTP functionality,
                  then I think you're using the wrong tool.