Re: [NTB] PDF files

  • David Smart
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
      But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
      put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

      Regards, Dave S

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
        Dave S wrote:

        But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
        put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

        What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.

        Matt
        But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
        put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

        Regards, Dave S

        > Thanks Marcelo. That takes care of that.
        >
        > Matt

      • Dave
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
          Hi
          you may be able to open up the reader copy the text you want and then use a
          library called "Ntp2fpdf" change the bits and then re-pdf with the library
          back to pdf.
          THANKYOU DAVE M

          > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
          > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
          >
          > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
          > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
          > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
          > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
          > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
          >
          > Matt

        • Jeff Scism
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
            Matt Clark wrote:

            > Dave S wrote:
            >
            > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
            > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
            >
            > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
            > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
            > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
            > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
            > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Matt

            One of the "features" of the portable Document format in the early days
            of the format was advertised as "copy protection" preventing people from
            copying from your PDF documents. Since that time there have been several
            PDF capable programs designed by others which enable access to the
            contents of a PDF document.

            In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
            this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to work
            around it.

            In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to be able
            to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.

            I am copying this reply to the Off-topic list,
            ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, because it isn't on-topic for the basic
            NoteTab list. Please continue there.

            --

            Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
            ~~

            Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
            'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
            The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

            Visit http://ibssg.org/

            For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
          • buralex@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
              "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> said on Dec 18, 2007 17:35 -0500 (in
              part):
              > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
              > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
              >
              > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
              > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
              > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
              > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
              > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
              >
              > Matt
              Good discussion on this one :-)
              For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
              which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
              etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
              Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
              available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
              though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

              Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

            • Matt Clark
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                Many thanks. But I solved the problem by simply buying a PDF Editor. They were having a Christmas sale.

                No more posts.

                Matt

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                  What I was describing was indeed essentially one way.

                  I wouldn't ever use PDF as a way of storing information, so I'd be
                  extracting the information and putting it somewhere else - Excel, a
                  database, Word, or a simple text file.

                  Then when I want to create a new PDF file, I simply use the CutePDF
                  freeware. This installs as a printer in your PC and allows your to create
                  PDFs from anything you can print. It's a great little program.

                  Regards, Dave S

                  > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                  > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                  >
                  > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
                  > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
                  > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
                  > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
                  > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                  >
                  > Matt

                • Matt Clark
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                    Thanks Dave. It's only this one list that's in PDF format, and I understand what you're saying about storing data in that format. I've solved the problem, and since it's off-topic, won't prolong the discussion on this list.

                    Thanks again.

                    Matt