PDF files

  • Matt Clark
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
      All,

      Can one edit .PDF files in NoteTab?

      Matt Clark

    • Marcelo de Castro Bastos
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
        Interviewed by CNN on 18/12/2007 15:10, Matt Clark told the world:
        > All,
        >
        > Can one edit .PDF files in NoteTab?

        No. PDF are not text files.

        Marcelo

        -=-=-
        Colabore com a Telesp. Nao suje as linhas com bobagens via modem!
        * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.7
      • Matt Clark
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
          Thanks Marcelo. That takes care of that.

          Matt
          Interviewed by CNN on 18/12/2007 15:10, Matt Clark told the world:
          > All,
          >
          > Can one edit .PDF files in NoteTab?

          No. PDF are not text files.

          Marcelo

          -=-=-
          Colabore com a Telesp. Nao suje as linhas com bobagens via modem!
          * TagZilla 0.066 on Seamonkey 1.1.7

        • David Smart
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
            But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
            put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

            Regards, Dave S

            > Thanks Marcelo. That takes care of that.
            >
            > Matt

          • Matt Clark
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 18, 2007
              Dave S wrote:

              But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
              put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

              What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.

              Matt
              But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
              put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.

              Regards, Dave S

              > Thanks Marcelo. That takes care of that.
              >
              > Matt

            • Dave
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                Hi
                you may be able to open up the reader copy the text you want and then use a
                library called "Ntp2fpdf" change the bits and then re-pdf with the library
                back to pdf.
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                >
                > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
                > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
                > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
                > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
                > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                >
                > Matt

              • Jeff Scism
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                  Matt Clark wrote:

                  > Dave S wrote:
                  >
                  > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                  > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                  >
                  > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
                  > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
                  > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
                  > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
                  > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                  >
                  > Matt

                  One of the "features" of the portable Document format in the early days
                  of the format was advertised as "copy protection" preventing people from
                  copying from your PDF documents. Since that time there have been several
                  PDF capable programs designed by others which enable access to the
                  contents of a PDF document.

                  In an age where data must not only be communicated, but manipulated,
                  this design is a built in flaw. That is why people have tried to work
                  around it.

                  In my view, PDFs are a hassle. if you have to exert yourself to be able
                  to extract from them, it is more like TV than computing.

                  I am copying this reply to the Off-topic list,
                  ntb-OffTopic@yahoogroups.com, because it isn't on-topic for the basic
                  NoteTab list. Please continue there.

                  --

                  Jeffery G. Scism, IBSSG
                  ~~

                  Blacksheep Ancestors in your Family?
                  'Blacksheep Genealogy' is a registered California Sole Proprietorship.
                  The International Black Sheep Society of Genealogists is a Social Organization Identified by its members using IBSSG after their signatures.

                  Visit http://ibssg.org/

                  For The Blacksheep website, Montgomery County, Putnam County, and Fountain County USGenWeb sites. MORE...
                • buralex@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                    "Matt Clark" <mattclark@...> said on Dec 18, 2007 17:35 -0500 (in
                    part):
                    > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                    > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                    >
                    > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I
                    > wanted to add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say,
                    > NoteTab, make the change, and put it back in the original list? I
                    > assume I would start by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I
                    > don't have the full Adobe Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                    >
                    > Matt
                    Good discussion on this one :-)
                    For the narrow purpose you describe it might be worth getting OpenOffice
                    which allows exporting to PDF. (It wouldn't have whatever formatting
                    etc. the original PDF had and you'd still have to start the process by
                    Copy-To-Text). Also a number of free "print to PDF" printer drivers are
                    available. More discussion if desired should be on the Off-Topic list
                    though. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-OffTopic

                    Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail

                  • Matt Clark
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
                      Many thanks. But I solved the problem by simply buying a PDF Editor. They were having a Christmas sale.

                      No more posts.

                      Matt

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                        What I was describing was indeed essentially one way.

                        I wouldn't ever use PDF as a way of storing information, so I'd be
                        extracting the information and putting it somewhere else - Excel, a
                        database, Word, or a simple text file.

                        Then when I want to create a new PDF file, I simply use the CutePDF
                        freeware. This installs as a printer in your PC and allows your to create
                        PDFs from anything you can print. It's a great little program.

                        Regards, Dave S

                        > But, you can export text from a PDF file (from inside the PDF reader) and
                        > put it into a text file for "off-line" editing if it's the text you need.
                        >
                        > What I have is a list of names and addresses in PDF format. If I wanted to
                        > add to or correct any of these, how would I export to, say, NoteTab, make
                        > the change, and put it back in the original list? I assume I would start
                        > by calling the list up in Acrobat Reader. (I don't have the full Adobe
                        > Acrobat program.) Thanks for your help.
                        >
                        > Matt

                      • Matt Clark
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                          Thanks Dave. It's only this one list that's in PDF format, and I understand what you're saying about storing data in that format. I've solved the problem, and since it's off-topic, won't prolong the discussion on this list.

                          Thanks again.

                          Matt